• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rebellin appreciation thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
This man will ride beyond 50, i've read some days ago on his Facebook page that he already started training for next season even if i think he doesn't have a contract signed at the moment.
By his own admission they guy doesn't have a live outside cycling.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
This man will ride beyond 50, i've read some days ago on his Facebook page that he already started training for next season even if i think he doesn't have a contract signed at the moment.
Davide Rebellin has announced his retirement. The 47-year-old Italian tells La Gazzetta dello Sport that he will end his professional career after the Italian championship.
Rebellin has been under contract with the Algerian Sovac in recent months. On behalf of that team, he rode a few races in France earlier this year. After financial disagreement, the contract with the continental formation was dissolved by mutual agreement.
Rebellin found a new employer in Meridiana Kamen. In the shirt of the Croatian formation he will be at the start of the Tour of Albania (2.2, 20-24 May). The Italian championship will then be his last game on 30 June.

ciranda said:
38420200971_69b9a312f7_c.jpg

old magazine advertisement from when Davide was with the old first Liquigas team

This photo look like it was taken in the 50s-60s or something, looks cool though

Can somebody tell me when did he ride the Tour de France?
I am checking Wiki and I don't see any year. I would be shock if a rider with 30 years as a professional cyclist has not a single time put a foot in the Tour.

Thanks. Now I saw the same summary at the bottom of the Wiki page as well. I was looking at the summary year by year and they don't have it there just because they were lesser results. Oh well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's not fast at all (in the reduced sprint at the top of Păltiniș climb two days ago was even gapped by the other riders in the front group) and that's well understandable given his age but his climbing level is still pretty good for this level of races so when there is an hard enough MTF to gradually drop riders so does't end up in an exlosive battle he's always there grabbing a good result.

BTW he was't a really fast rider even in his days.

Yes you're right, he crashed heavily on Memorial Pantani. He had a surgery in hospital in Forli. Season over.

Oh, I didn‘t know that. Thanks a lot :)

Then this is his second bad injury in 2021. After the first one (broken pelvis!), he returned strongly and did GC Top-10s in 2.1 races... Hope he comes back quickly, and has a good 2022 season...

Davide is working for his comeback. In my opinion, he did a nice 2021, with nice results... Sadly, he got injured twice.

Main thing is, that he finally stopped talking about retirement. He clearly loves what he does, he‘s still good, and we love seeing him in the peloton.

To be honest, I could still imagine seeing him riding for a WT or PCT team. In today‘s WT and PCT teams, there are riders who are weaker than Rebellin. Rebellin would not win Liege nowadays, but he would be a solid helper and road captain.

What a career... So great to still see him in the peloton...!

TRENDING THREADS