• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RedheadDane's Cycling Christmas Calendar

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When you say it like that it (almost) makes sense.

Still that "trident" of arms image from Olympic ITT podium and that hand gesture in the air at the end of the stage 17. And you actually had to choose and were able to do that? That's dope. I'll give you that.

I made the choice that I definitely wanted to include the Olympics, and World Championships, and the Monuments.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
I made the choice that I definitely wanted to include the Olympics, and World Championships, and the Monuments.

You indeed had to make some hard choices. Don't envy you at all.

From "iconic moments" point of view for me both pictures. The one from Olympic ITT and the one from the end of the Vuelta stage 17 should be included on the calendar. Otherwise something would be severely missing.

But i get it. If next year Pogačar would win two GTs and 4 monuments. What is the point in doing a Christmas calendar at all. Just give the man a hat and the bag instead.

P.S. But still i will insist on inclusion of the mentioned two pictures for 2021 season and will hence get a knockoff calendar. Including both.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nooooooooooooooooo...

Rules be damned, there was only one thing that today could have been. 22/5, Complejo Kárstico de Ojo Guareña, siempre en nuestros corazones...

I had considered complaining about the number of the Giro stages, but I didn't really want to sound like a spoiled brat (or CyclistAlbi ;)). I thought Cille's stage win would be included, but I had totally forgot the exact date it occurred.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0

I had considered complaining about the number of the Giro stages, but I didn't really want to sound like a spoiled brat (or CyclistAlbi ;)). I thought Cille's stage win would be included, but I had totally forgot the exact date it occurred.

I was going to include Cille's stage win, first for today (it was on a 22nd), then for the women's edition, and then I gave up with the women's edition due to three - three! - major races all having happening on 25ths! And also the fact that WWT races seems to be mainly VDB, Van Vleuten, and Vos.

As for lots of Giro; well... it just covered the dates needed nicely.

I was going to include Cille's stage win, first for today (it was on a 22nd), then for the women's edition, and then I gave up with the women's edition due to three - three! - major races all having happening on 25ths! And also the fact that WWT races seems to be mainly VDB, Van Vleuten, and Vos.

As for lots of Giro; well... it just covered the dates needed nicely.
Three and a half in fact, as De Panne was also on a 25th and is a WWT race. Vollering and Balsamo could be covered off elsewhere, though, whereas Brown and Kiesenhofer couldn't, and Kiesenhofer's win is the bigger of the two even though Brown is the higher profile rider. And the variety is not helped by some of women's cycling's major names not winning a race in 2021 (Niewiadoma, most notably).

I tried, OK?

1: Emma Norsgaard Jørgensen, GP Elsy Jacobs stage 1 (1/5)
2: Lizzie Deignan, Paris-Roubaix (2/10)
3: Anna van der Breggen, Giro d'Italia Donne stage 2 (3/7)
4: Annemiek van Vleuten, Ronde van Vlaanderen (4/4)
5: Lotte Kopecky, Ceratizit Challenge stage 4 (5/9)
6: Demi Vollering, The Women's Tour stage 3 (6/10)
7: Sandra Alonso, Vuelta Comunitat Valenciana stage 1 (7/5)
8: Lisa Klein, Baloise Ladies' Tour prologue (8/7)
9: Elisa Balsamo, The Women's Tour stage 6 (9/10)
10: Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio, Giro d'Italia Donne stage 9 (10/7)
11: Ruth Winder, Tour de l'Ardêche stage 4 (11/9)
12: Lonneke Uneken, Healthy Ageing Tour stage 3 (12/3)
13: Riejanne Markus, Ladies' Tour of Norway stage 2 (13/8)
14: Arlenis Sierra, Clásica Feminina de Navarra (14/5)
15: Chloe Hosking, Ladies' Tour of Norway stage 4 (15/8)
16: Chiara Consonni, GP Plumelec (16/10)
17: Marlen Reusser, Chrono des Nations (17/10)
18: Marianne Vos, Amstel Gold Race (18/4)
19: Lucinda Brand, Citadelcross (19/12)
20: Ellen van Dijk, World Championships ITT (20/9)
21: Elisa Longo Borghini, Trofeo Alfredo Binda (21/3)
22: Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig, Vuelta a Burgos stage 3 (22/5)
23: Lorena Wiebes, Ronde van Drenthe (23/10)
24: Alena Amialiusik, Lotto Belgium Tour stage 2 (24/6)
25: Anna Kiesenhofer, Olympic Games Road Race (25/7)

Kind of would have been easier to do a full month to move Vollering to the 26th for La Course and put VDBB in for Strade Bianche, which is a bigger and better win but it would be an egregious oversight to not include Vollering at all, or to omit Kiesenhofer. It also feels like a huge omission to not have van der Breggen for Flèche Wallonne, but Elisa's only other major victory this season falls outside of the dates involved, so I went for the Giro stage where she destroyed everybody in the mountains to end the GC battle on day 2. Similarly I wanted to put Reusser on for the European Championships which I thought was a bigger deal than the CDN, but Balsamo would have been otherwise omitted, and getting her first win in the rainbow stripes seemed a worthwhile enough inclusion.

Vollering and Balsamo could be covered off elsewhere, though, whereas Brown and Kiesenhofer couldn't,

It's not just that I wanted certain riders, I wanted certain races. I wanted World's Olympics, and the Monuments. I'd also have liked to include both Vlaanderen and the Olympic ITT (remember, I started on 28/11), but... you see the issue there?

However, I had been considering that I might have had to include ProSeries races, especially with the Giro having been demoted this year.

mrs-claus-santa-claus-bicycle-cycling-christmas-png-favpng-2frV6fiCCKBTiLLgw2f13qxZw.jpg

I won't be home for a few days, so I dropped the 26th as well. Up to you whether you want to wait, or look at it tomorrow, but you can probably guess what it is either way. Same for today.

TRENDING THREADS