• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rediscovering an admiration for C. Evans

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Ripper said:
However, blocking has everything to do with not speeding up, not contributing to a chase ... basically causing some level of disruption.

Which, when you have a teammate with chance of success in the lead group, is kind of the point.

tgsgirl said:
Which, when you have a teammate with chance of success in the lead group, is kind of the point.

As I've alluded to though, swerving or braking are not part of "blocking", they are part of riding like a twit and ensuring you receive something in return. If you swerve severely enough or snap on your brakes, it would be expected you might get shoved, nudged or punched somewhere ... your reaction will then determine the next action. Punch back and it's likey to get nastier, give a wave with your hand (to say "OK") and it'll likely settle.

Ripper said:
As I've alluded to though, swerving or braking are not part of "blocking", they are part of riding like a twit and ensuring you receive something in return. If you swerve severely enough or snap on your brakes, it would be expected you might get shoved, nudged or punched somewhere ... your reaction will then determine the next action. Punch back and it's likey to get nastier, give a wave with your hand (to say "OK") and it'll likely settle.

The Schlecks love to do it in the classics (slowing down the chase) but they don't swerve/break, I forgot about the Cuddles incident already to know if it happened on that occasion.

It is a race.

That means you can't complain about anybody in front of you for going too slow, since they have obviously been going faster than you to be ahead.

If we could put Evan's punch into words:

"I'm done wheelsucking, move out of my way."

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
How is punching someone not a physical assault? And the Katusha guy who was well within his right to slow the peloton was not Righi, obviously, as Righi rides for Lampre.

Assault!:eek: Are you serious? It is called blocking you idiot! Righi is a ****ing *** for employing such tatics and you just hate evans... End of story.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Assault!:eek: Are you serious? It is called blocking you idiot! Righi is a ****ing *** for employing such tatics and you just hate evans... End of story.

I'm going to quote this just so you can't edit it later. You're a nice person, auscyclefan94. I'm sure Evans is happy to have you.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sports have always been considered an exception to assault laws, otherwise every rugby player in the world would be in prison.

Though, of course, it's technically only assault within the laws that are an exception - though unless third parties become involved, such as the Cantona kung fu kick, incidents on the field of play beyond the rules are in practice presided over by the sporting authorities.

Evans' assault of Righi was outside of the rules of pro cycling and ergo is technically assault. In practice we can expect the sporting authorities to make the final decision here, however.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Sports have always been considered an exception to assault laws, otherwise every rugby player in the world would be in prison.

This is a point separate to Cuddles' case, but:
That depends on the sports and the severity of the assault, doesn't it? I'm fairly sure I remember at least one incident from soccer where a civil complaint was made.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Look, this argument is stupid. Yes, Evans hit Righi. Yes, it was a bit stupid, but it was by no means unusual for the final 10km of a grand tour stage. If that was assault then Theo Bos should have been arrested for the attempted manslaughter of Daryl Impey.

It's bike racing. Tempers always flare in the finale. Saying that what Evans did was 'technically assault' is probably true, but I would bet that an incident similar to that takes place in nearly every Pro Tour race. They just aren't usually caught on camera.

There is much to admire about Evans as a person - his stance on Tibet, his donating of his WC shoes/jersey to charity.

BUT

He makes it impossible to like him.

He is f-ugly on the bike - as someone said - he looks like a chimp humping a beachball.

His wheelsucking.

His temper tantrums - not just in the race but the whole 'step on my dog' business, headbutting cameramen (roid rage or what?)

His excuses for not attacking, blaming the team, everyone but himself, etc are very boring.

His fanboys in the media ramming Cuddles down our throats at every opportunity.

If Cuddles wasn't such a ****, I am sure more people would like him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
There is much to admire about Evans as a person - his stance on Tibet, his donating of his WC shoes/jersey to charity.

BUT

He is f-ugly on the bike - as someone said - he looks like a chimp humping a beachball.

His wheelsucking.

His temper tantrums - not just in the race but the whole 'step on my dog' business, headbutting cameramen (roid rage or what?)

His excuses for not attacking, blaming the team, everyone but himself, etc are very boring.

This is exactly the kind of balanced, even-handed and above all fair viewpoint that makes discussing Cadel Evans such a joy for all involved.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:

BUT

His wheelsucking.

I get really annoyed when people start having a go at Evans for not Wheelsucking and not attacking. Ask yourself what tactical advantage does evans get by doing this. A key example of this is the 2010 giro. Think about the Monte Grappa climb. There are 4 riders at the front Evans, Basso, Scarponi, and Nibali. At current on GC Evans is in front. In this group there is Two liquigas riders, What tactical advantage does cadel get from attacking here or not wheel sucking and sharing the work load???? Nothing (remembering he would of had a decent, then 12km i think of flat to the finish, precious energy for some time if it succeed)

This is so often the case with Cadel, where there is no advantage for him so why would he do it. When this isnt the case he does attack.

But he contributed nothing to that move, he basically wanted Basso, Nibali and Scarponi to tow him to the summit. If he had come to the front and done a turn, contributed to the break then I would have more respect. As it was he hung around like an unwanted house guest.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
But he contributed nothing to that move, he basically wanted Basso, Nibali and Scarponi to tow him to the summit. If he had come to the front and done a turn, contributed to the break then I would have more respect. As it was he hung around like an unwanted house guest.

He had no reason to!!!! He didnt have strong team represented in the break, he was current leader out of the 4. therefore he would be more than happy to be towed to the top as it means he uses less energy, and will keep his lead on those 4. So what your really saying is you will ripp on cadel for smart cycling.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well he did not win the Giro so maybe his tactics could have been better?
It is ok to "just sit on" when you have the jersey but leaves you in a position that is hard to defend when charges of weelsucking arise no? also it is not like he only sits on when he's in the lead, he has spent a lot of time sitting on..
Hence he has a reputation as a wheelsucker.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:
Well he did not win the Giro so maybe his tactics could have been better?
It is ok to "just sit on" when you have the jersey but leaves you in a position that is hard to defend when charges of weelsucking arise no? also it is not like he only sits on when he's in the lead, he has spent a lot of time sitting on..
Hence he has a reputation as a wheelsucker.

I think his tactics were good just didnt have the legs to last the 3 weeks.
In the particular example i gave, It was not a mountain top finish which meant that Cadel would of had to use alot of energy once on the flats to stay away from to liquigas riders. With the next stage being the Zoncolan he needed his energy.

In most cases i would say yes to this but the tactics liquigas were using were just a constant high speed, which sort of limited charges. I do believe he has developed this tag unfairly as in the peloton he does stand out alot more as he is always the only one by himself.

And there we are with the excuses - Cuddles had to wheelsuck because he had no team support and was in the lead.

Cuddles ended up off the podium, with his smart, non-contributing tactics.

Vino had no team support, Scarponi had little team support, but they all worked at various points in the race.

If you think wheelsucking is smart tactics then fine, but don't try to claim that he doesn't wheelsuck and that he more often than not just follows in the mountains and doesn't contribute.

Ripper said:
If we're going to get all technical and start getting lawyery, then it is assault to intentially swerve your bike or jam on your brakes without need.

I agree, the argument is silly. Neither rider demonstrated a cool head.

Is it a fact that the rider "slammed on his brakes" or is this just a something that was added to spice up the argument?

The bottom line is that Evans needs to get a grip on his emotions and his temper. There is a laundry list of incidents in the past couple of years that he's had to later apologize for.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
C. Evans doesn't seem the warmest kind of guy in interviews, he's kind of uncomfortable and oblique, and he'd never be a homecoming king, but I reckon his heart is in the right place and is basically a good guy. Witness his stand on issues like Tibet: the guy has a heart and a brain which is a lot more than can be said for the many basic, under-developed types who ride bikes for a living.

He's an exciting rider too, he always gives it his best (he has to, cuz his teams are lousy). He was great in the Giro.

richo36 said:
I think his tactics were good just didnt have the legs to last the 3 weeks.
In the particular example i gave, It was not a mountain top finish which meant that Cadel would of had to use alot of energy once on the flats to stay away from to liquigas riders. With the next stage being the Zoncolan he needed his energy.

In most cases i would say yes to this but the tactics liquigas were using were just a constant high speed, which sort of limited charges. I do believe he has developed this tag unfairly as in the peloton he does stand out alot more as he is always the only one by himself.

If Savoldelli could won his 2nd Giro with minimal support why can't Evans win a grand tour the same way? Menchov hasn't had the strong support similar to teams like the current Liquigas, Shack and Saxo Bank and yet he has 3 grand tour wins. It is ALWAYS something with Evans:
-He gets sick.
-He crashes.
-A slow wheel change.
-He bonks.
-The Spaniards teamed up on him.
-and the standard "My team didn't support me like my opponents' teams did."

Evans isn't "the only one by himself". He's just the only one whose fans always use that excuse to cover for him.

Let me say that he's a great rider who performs at a high level throughout the season unlike several other pro's who I won't name but please come up with some new material.

TRENDING THREADS