• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rediscovering an admiration for C. Evans

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Iker_Baqueiro said:
Fo this guy, CE, to vindicate himself in the TDF, he at least has to finish it better than lance armstrong.

What do you mean vindicate himself? He won the points jersey and the most epic GT stage in recent memory as well as placed in the top five in the GC. He also provided much of the drama of the Giro. He did that despite his team being as weak as U.S. beer. It was a solid performance that most riders would die for.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What do you mean vindicate himself? He won the points jersey and the most epic GT stage in recent memory as well as placed in the top five in the GC. He also provided much of the drama of the Giro. He did that despite his team when his team being as weak as U.S. beer. It was a solid performance that most riders would die for.

I agree, however what does he have to do to warrant BMC's invite? I can't see anyone else on the team earning the invite.

BroDeal said:
What do you mean vindicate himself? He won the points jersey and the most epic GT stage in recent memory as well as placed in the top five in the GC. He also provided much of the drama of the Giro. He did that despite his team when his team being as weak as U.S. beer. It was a solid performance that most riders would die for.

He did say "vindicate himself in the Tour" which I'm guessing was meant to indicate for Evans to make up for his 2009 Tour performance. Just a guess.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by BroDeal

+1

Unless Cadel can recover much much better than Menchov and Sastre after last year's Giro then he's going to have a really tough TdF. His Giro performance was very good, however, and let's hope he can animate a mountain stage or two even if he's not right at the top of GC.

Love him or hate him and it seems to be a pretty even bet, you cannot say that Evans leaves anything in reserve. Maybe he is always going over his limits to do what he has done which puts the wheelsucking BS in perspective.

What I like about Evans is his lack of pretence. If people don't like his honesty, too bad. At least he is a personality unlike some of his bland adversaries. "I had the legs, the team was great.............blah blah." Sport needs personalities and even one that polarises opinion is a good thing.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
And there we are with the excuses - Cuddles had to wheelsuck because he had no team support and was in the lead.

Cuddles ended up off the podium, with his smart, non-contributing tactics.

Vino had no team support, Scarponi had little team support, but they all worked at various points in the race.

If you think wheelsucking is smart tactics then fine, but don't try to claim that he doesn't wheelsuck and that he more often than not just follows in the mountains and doesn't contribute.

Spoken like a true armchair critic......yes he definitely won the Giro stage, Worlds and Fleche by wheel-sucking. You don't have to like the guy at all....it's not a popularity contest, but maybe have a little respect eh?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
Spoken like a true armchair critic......yes he definitely won the Giro stage, Worlds and Fleche by wheel-sucking. You don't have to like the guy at all....it's not a popularity contest, but maybe have a little respect eh?

don't take the bait. he is the mother of another bmc rider, john murphy.:D

May 22, 2010
Visit site
i think evans has the stamina to use the Giro to condition himself and arrive at the Tour in peak form. Contador has peaked too early, judging by his performance at the Dauphine.

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
i think evans has the stamina to use the Giro to condition himself and arrive at the Tour in peak form. Contador has peaked too early, judging by his performance at the Dauphine.

Conti is some way from his peak judging by his performance in the Dauphine!

1,40 back on JB in the TT and if you look at the time for the climb of Alpe d'huez its clear to see AC is not at his best just yet but in a good place with the first climbs of the tour still 3/4 weeks away.

The Dr said:

I was talking about his Giro performance not the Worlds and Fleche. With the exception of one stage, and one move with 2.5km to go Cuddles only did any work when he was in trouble.

It isn't a popularity contest - but stop making excuses for him. He is a conservative rider who's first response is to wheelsuck rather than to take the initiative. That's his choice but in the end those tactics cost him a place on the podium.

He can clearly attack when he wants to and he obviously has the talent to ride in the high mountains. However, more often than not he choose not to ride aggressively or to contribute to groups, instead choosing safe conservative, negative tactics. (Compare for example with the group on D'Huez this weekend, where even though Coppel, VDB and SS were all on the rivet and in trouble, they all made attacks and moves, all contributed at various points).

The criticism is of his tactics which are more often than not far too negative, and the way in which his fans and supporters always try to justify/excuse his conservativism (no team support, on the rivet all the time, ill etc etc).

As I've said before - there is a lot to respect about Cuddles off the bike, but on the bike he is very hard to like or to enjoy watching.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
wooley7 said:
Conti is some way from his peak judging by his performance in the Dauphine!

1,40 back on JB in the TT and if you look at the time for the climb of Alpe d'huez its clear to see AC is not at his best just yet but in a good place with the first climbs of the tour still 3/4 weeks away.

Well I think in the tt's he was going for it, even if he says he was not. on the climbs he is not there yet.

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting that he wasn't trying just that he is not at full fitness so didn't have enough gas to go any faster.

My answer was in response to an earlier post which stated he had peaked at the dauphine, I don't think he was any where near his peak so that doesn't mean he wasn't trying.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
To the OP: Gotta agree with you except I am not "rediscovering," rather just discovering a newfound appreciation for "Cadels.":D
He hasn't been very vocal this year, but since his Worlds he's let his racing speak for him and he's broken the Rainbow Jersey curse. Last year's Vuelta comments were despicable...

As an aside and not to purposefully get off topic, I think Cavendouche should pay attention and learn from Evans now because that is him when he finally grows up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Lifeshape said:
To the OP: Gotta agree with you except I am not "rediscovering," rather just discovering a newfound appreciation for "Cadels.":D
He hasn't been very vocal this year, but since his Worlds he's let his racing speak for him and he's broken the Rainbow Jersey curse. Last year's Vuelta comments were despicable...

As an aside and not to purposefully get off topic, I think Cavendouche should pay attention and learn from Evans now because that is him when he finally grows up.

Cav is a far more aggressive and outspoken. Him and Cadel seem much different.

During the first mountain stage of the Giro the camera got in close and showed Evans close up, a few times. He looked like a ghost and he was obviously struggling. It turned out later on that that was the period of the race during which he was ill. He consistently lost time to Basso on subsequent mountain stages but he soldiered on. He never quits races even when he can see victory slipping away. I will never buy the wheelsucking BS. Unless you want to put 95% of the riders in the same category.

movingtarget said:
During the first mountain stage of the Giro the camera got in close and showed Evans close up, a few times. He looked like a ghost and he was obviously struggling. It turned out later on that that was the period of the race during which he was ill. He consistently lost time to Basso on subsequent mountain stages but he soldiered on. He never quits races even when he can see victory slipping away. I will never buy the wheelsucking BS. Unless you want to put 95% of the riders in the same category.

So everyone, outside Australia, is just imagining it?

TRENDING THREADS