• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reduce the Number of Cars and Motos!

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
And better also ban overtaking the front groups in the last 20k, poor riders cannot (for safety reasons) go to the car for drink/food, but motos have to mess around till the very late in the race. Is it really so inevitable? Does not look like, especially after these two "carmageddon" hits that clearly affected the race (San Sebastian - Van Avermaet, and now Sagan).

More than the number, that maybe, becouse it is too many it is the kind of people who rode them.

I dont know how riders sometimes dont look behind them more frecuently, becouse I couldn be there without the information of who is behind me...and I dont know why is allowed so easy to a moto to pass so close to the riders...

Something must be done,

Today and in San Sebastian afected posible to the winner, so it is an important issue, but one day something really bad could happend.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
So Sagan got taken down by a moto and UCI slapped him with two fines for "unsportsmanlike" conduct.

No wonder he was furious kicking and screaming. This was a stage for him.

Enough with the UCI bureaucrats already, geez, I really hope they will make they own "league" and bring some sense to this BS.

Re:

Jancouver said:
So Sagan got taken down by a moto and UCI slapped him with two fines for "unsportsmanlike" conduct.

No wonder he was furious kicking and screaming. This was a stage for him.

Enough with the UCI bureaucrats already, geez, I really hope they will make they own "league" and bring some sense to this BS.

The behaviour of Sagan is understable, but is wrong and he must be punished.

The behaviour of the moto is not understable, and must be hardly punished.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Yingge said:
Sagan has now abandoned due to the injuries he sustained - second degree burns apparently.

The driver should pay his salary and extra damages until he is back. I can assure you that he would never hit another cyclist again.

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
300f fine for bringing the sport the sport into disrepute? Far as I could see he only hit stuff`: assaults on people were purely verbal. Not sure how mouthing off and punching a car brings more disrepute on professional cycling than race vehicles running riders down.

I'm no fan of the cocky young git, but that fine is out of order, in my opinion.

If anyone cares to organise a whip round to cover it, I'll chip in a fiver.

Jancouver said:
Yingge said:
Sagan has now abandoned due to the injuries he sustained - second degree burns apparently.

The driver should pay his salary and extra damages until he is back. I can assure you that he would never hit another cyclist again.

Accidents happen. Admittedly it's happening far too often, but what you just suggested would ruin the driver's life (let's say Sagan is out of action for 2-3 weeks - that's 160-240k Euros, which I would imagine is about 5-10 years salary after taxes), which is far worse than what he did to Sagan - prevent him a win, cause him some pain, and severely reduce his chances for the world championships, but ultimately he'll be back soon enough.

Moto's hitting riders is out of control and there have been too many to be ignored. Currently great rules in effect...fine the rider...that has abandoned due to injuries. Moto driver out of race only to likely do similar idiotic move in next race they are in since obviously, judging by "punishment they get for hitting a human being on a bicycle", there is no real incentive not to take those risks. People are being conditioned to seeing riders taken out by moto's and yet criticize a rider for getting pissed off and showing it. Race organizers and officials need to wake up but I guess it's easier to just blame the riders for being in wrong place in a race. No one will notice the moto drivers absence but Sagan's will be noticed.

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know what, if any, training is required to be a moto driver for pro races? Obviously, some moto riders are necessary, without the TV coverage motos provide there will be no sponsors and there need to be some for race administrative support, but are there too many? I don't know but obviously, rider training needs to be stepped up and there needs to be a hard look at how many motos and other support vehicles really need to be on course with the races.

Re:

Old Cog said:
300f fine for bringing the sport the sport into disrepute? Far as I could see he only hit stuff`: assaults on people were purely verbal. Not sure how mouthing off and punching a car brings more disrepute on professional cycling than race vehicles running riders down.

I'm no fan of the cocky young git, but that fine is out of order, in my opinion.

If anyone cares to organise a whip round to cover it, I'll chip in a fiver.

By the time you post again, he'll have retired :)

Re:

mikez said:
Does anyone know what, if any, training is required to be a moto driver for pro races? Obviously, some moto riders are necessary, without the TV coverage motos provide there will be no sponsors and there need to be some for race administrative support, but are there too many? I don't know but obviously, rider training needs to be stepped up and there needs to be a hard look at how many motos and other support vehicles really need to be on course with the races.

I think you have to get to level 5 in GTA ....

Re:

SafeBet said:
Until there'a rider association that actually does something about it, nothing will change. Same for the safety issue of the parcours.
Complaining on Twitter is not enough.
This. The riders need to band together and form a common interest association.

There are several demands they need to make and it seems that driver competence is one. Maybe they need to demand that all drivers are former riders?

Another thing they need to do is inspect/approve parcours a long time before races. Things like the Vuelta TTT should not have been left so late.

TRENDING THREADS