• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reflections on the 2009 Vuelta a Espana

Rate the Vuelta...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I cannot say I've really enjoyed this Vuelta a España. None of the favourite ones moved on Aitana or Velefique, so I think it's been a boring Vuelta. However, the stage wins were entertaining, so as Roux, Gustavo César Veloso, ...

A

Anonymous

the route.. northern europe a fiasco, some of the spanish stages excellent
the winner.. well im saying nothing.. :/
the politics.. what more do we expect in spain..

overall.. some good racing, but overshadowed for me by the winner, the spanish's strange interpretation of what deserves time penalties and what deserves fines, and the number of people who left for the worlds..

One of the reasons I posted the cutting the GT thread, is because I feel that the race has been overly controlled by Caisse.
Simply way stronger than the rest.
Races explode when ALL team leaders are left to their own devices.
This never seemed to happen.
A better race than '07 and '08, thanks to the parcours.
Still, bags of room for improvement. 6 out of 10.
Something has to give.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I gave it a 7 for mainly personal reasons. Was able to visit 2 stages because of the ridiculous Low-Lands start.
First time since i was 7 that a Dutch guy actually contended a GC.
And last, but not least, the first GT where i got my boss to agree i can put a TV on my desk.

For the race itself: great course (in Spain), 3 Mountaintop finishes in 3 days didn't really help the race tho. No major attacks, no contenders battling for stages... Bit disappointing.

The winner: No problems with that. I don't really get all the whining about Valv winning. If he was suspended (it's still 2006 we're talking about) he would be back already. He was always talented, never had an E.T.-peak like Basso and as soon as he races outside of Spain he's probably the most tested athlete in the world (sorry Lance). He did a great Vuelta, the way he knew his own weakness by getting dropped on a steep part of La Pandera(?) and coming back on the easier parts showed he's grown as a GT contender.

The politics: Loved it. Part of the charm.

Pretty good Vuelta: 6.5

Not the best GT ever. A few highlights here and there but overall a little bland. It's a low 6 for me.

I think the GC competition has been fairly weak in comparison with other GTs of late. Simply getting a top 15 in this race was alot easier in comparison than getting a top 15 in the Giro or Tour this year and also compared to alot of other GTs. The latest example of a similar GC was probably last years Giro which was also rather thin.

Valverde gives a real bad taste. He IS susoended at the moment but because of appeals the suspension isn't global.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I gave it a 7. Overall a pretty good race.

I agree with Mello Velo.... maybe cutting the team size would help animate the race a bit. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try and would allow more teams to compete.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Back in July, many here dismissed what they thought a boring tour and looked forward to an exciting Vuelta. I suspect the hatred of Lance impacted how one viewed that race, and coloured ones view of Astana's Contador victory. It appears that a similar sentiment is building regarding Caisse D'Epargne's Valverde likely victory.

From this, I surmise that what constitutes a great grand tour to some is not the race, but who wins. The reality is no one holds an edge on technology and training regimes; the top riders are seperated by fractions. Barring blatant doping, a la Ricco, Vino, Schumacher, Di Luca etc, races will be closely contested and attacks will be subtle and measured. Banning race radios wont bring back the style of yester-year, and teams will adapt strategies likely to be successful irrespective of any parcourse. Lamenting about the past will not change that.

I found all three grand tours intriguing, yet they all had flaws. The Giro was deneutered by the removal of the queen stage and chopping off the top of Blockhaus. The Tour wasted the Pyrnees with long flat finishes, and the Vuelta mistakely had four stages in the low countries. But those were the races the teams and riders were faced with. And in the end, I would be hard pressed to say that the best rider of each race was not the winner.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
I gave it a 7 for mainly personal reasons. Was able to visit 2 stages because of the ridiculous Low-Lands start.
First time since i was 7 that a Dutch guy actually contended a GC.
And last, but not least, the first GT where i got my boss to agree i can put a TV on my desk.

For the race itself: great course (in Spain), 3 Mountaintop finishes in 3 days didn't really help the race tho. No major attacks, no contenders battling for stages... Bit disappointing.

The winner: No problems with that. I don't really get all the whining about Valv winning. If he was suspended (it's still 2006 we're talking about) he would be back already. He was always talented, never had an E.T.-peak like Basso and as soon as he races outside of Spain he's probably the most tested athlete in the world (sorry Lance). He did a great Vuelta, the way he knew his own weakness by getting dropped on a steep part of La Pandera(?) and coming back on the easier parts showed he's grown as a GT contender.

The politics: Loved it. Part of the charm.

Pretty good Vuelta: 6.5

The fact gesink was a genuine contendor probably made it a personal favorite GT for myself too. We've waited a pretty long time, but we seem to have a great generation of riders coming through :D

auscyclefan94 said:
is this just me, are any of yous finding the vuelta theme music annoyning. it's driving me mad. last years was way better.

a little too repetitive, but it's a good song, play anything too much and you start hating it. i can't bear led zeppelin any longer. ruined myself on it as a teen.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Watching the final podium, I finally find some sympathy for Cadel. "What is this Austrialian doing on stage in this all Spain event."

Poor form Vuelta officials.

I give it a 7 :)

I think Valverde deserved the win (and I admit I am putting the whole OP thing to one side). Greipel and Moncoutie were worthy jersey winners too :)

There were some great moments and some great rides by individuals Cunego, Henderson NZ, Cancellara ITT, Millar ITT, Gerrens AUS, Hesjedal CAN, Farrer, Gesink and Boom NL, Mosquera...

The highlight was La Pandera for me :D and the low point was Evans's puncture :mad:

The biggest issue for me is it's proximity to the Worlds and the fact that half the field pulled out because of that.

But I enjoyed it!

benpounder said:
Watching the final podium, I finally find some sympathy for Cadel. "What is this Austrialian doing on stage in this all Spain event."

Poor form Vuelta officials.

that's the good thing about le tour, there's never a frenchmen on the final podium so foreigners are not out of place at all

overall, it was a good vuelta, agree that the three mountain-top stages in a row probably neutered the racing...had there been a rest day in between two of those days there probably would have been a lot more attacking

happy for valv, you can't deny his talent and he's been knocking on the door for quite a while in the vuelta

6/10 for me. Hoogerland/VAC, Gesink, Moncoutie, Roux & Cunego were the highlights. I mean Gesink battling through btw, not him falling :eek:

auscyclefan94 said:
is this just me, are any of yous finding the vuelta theme music annoyning. it's driving me mad. last years was way better.

I have to say that I quite liked that in the end. It was annoying at the start though

A little disappointing to me, mostly because on paper it appeared to be the best of the three GT's this year. Maybe it was anyway, but not by a lot. The Giro turned out be just as close, even though it was neutered. The Tour was simply a soap opera.

Mixed feelings on Valverde winning. I too think he should have been suspended three years ago. But at this point he's probably not doing anything anyone else is, and didn't have a super human race. He rode fairly conservative actually, behind a great team. But his racing on the Pandera was simply good, smart racing.

Agree with Dim on too many riders dropping out for the World's. It's strange that people would drop out of a race with so many opportunities to win at least something, to enter a race where there is but one winner. And this drop out rate is yet another reason why I support the Vuelta moving back to April.

Stage 18 should have had some sort of uphill finish to stir things up more towards the end. Stage 19's rain hurt Sanchez chances to gain time.

The first ITT should have been 10km longer than it was.

This race wasn't as scenic as Vueltas in the past. Partly due to the weather. Partly because Spain is brown this time of year (another reason to move it back to April).

Agree that smaller teams (I say 7), and either limiting race radio, or eliminating time splits to teams and riders, is a way to go. Racing has become too conservative and calculating in it's strategy. It's like watching marathons.

Agree the flat stages and riding in northern Europe appear now to be more of a gimmick. Starting in France or Portugul, or even Morocco is a better idea next time. Or having the prologue and 1st stage on one of the Balearic Islands.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree the flat stages and riding in northern Europe appear now to be more of a gimmick. Starting in France or Portugul, or even Morocco is a better idea next time. Or having the prologue and 1st stage on one of the Balearic Islands.

north africa/morocco would be amazing..

and why cant the giro start in greece, or croatia..

Overall a bit dissapointed in the end.

The most aggresive riders and best climbers, Mosquera and Gesink, finished lowest of the GC contenders thanks to bad luck (Mosquera fell and was bad in the first mountain stages, Gesink in the end).
The other contenders who could have made Valverde frightened in the time trial, Sanchez and Evans, also had bad luck. Sanchez fall and losing time in the first two mountain stages. Evans with his flat tire obviously.
Remains Basso, who had the strongest mountain helpers, Kreuziger and Szmyd mainly, but who couldn't go much faster than he already did.
And ofcourse Caisse's control of the race killed a lot of possible excitement.

When all of your contenders are thwarted by luck, well, then you really HAVE to win the GC, which Valverde did. But I think this will be the only Grand Tour he will ever win.

A

Anonymous

Yaawn

What you mean its over? Guess I fell asleep somewhere around stage 7? I seem to remember beige countryside and 4 or 5 Evans wannabees following wheels. Or was that just a dream? Most exciting moment? The incompetant wheel change. When you have to go gown the GC list to #9 before you find a stage winner it says a lot. No tension, no excitement, no battles. None of the past winners even bothered to show up. There seemed to be more news about who was leaving the race, "for the Worlds", that who was staying in it. The third GT of the year was also 3rd rate. Maybe next year...

Rate winner "Valv. (Piti)", Ok, whatever.
Rate the GT: whatever
Rate Spain in September: Hot, dry and brown.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Vuelta theme music

Now the Vuelta's over, thank goodness I won't have to listen daily to that song! A catchy tune, but that baby-doll voice... :mad: I'll be sued if I say more.

Agree with most on here, the Vuelta was nicely set up going into the mountains of Andalucia with 6 guys in contention but the race fell flat on its face. There was no really big battles and a lot of the time lost by the contenders was due to crahses, injuries, mechanicals. Only Gesink or Mosquera tried to attack.

Another dissappointment for me were the performances ot the touted new generation, Fuglsang, Martin, Kessiakoff, they didnt live up tp expectations.

The major plus for me was the victory of Philip Deignan but that is a personal bias. The victories of Roux, Hysjedal, Gusavo Cesar, Moncoutie were also and the performances of Xacebo-Galicia and Vacansoleil(Bozic & Hoogerland).

As for Valverde, he should have been banned as all the Puerto guys should have been but he wasnt so I dont know why he is a bad winner, would Basso have been any better? Valverde has had quite a season, victories in the Vuelta, Dauphine, Burgos, Catalonia, not bad considering he couldnt compete at the Tour.

Very good route, apt for epic (I'm Spanish and know first person some of the hardest stages) but boring as hell because of lack of competitive spirit and total control by Caisse. Cycling is in real need of a reboot: smaller teams, no team radios and support for aggresive contenders.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm really unhaappy with the winner, really unhappy with how Gesink, Evans and maybe also Fuglsang had such terrible luck and I thought it wasn't a very exciting race. The only time was when Gesink temporarily dropped Valverde on the beginning of that one climb (sorry, I forgot the name), but that didn't work out.
Too bad also all of my Luxembourgish guys had to drop out. Some interesting wins by escapees but that's about it ...

TRENDING THREADS