• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Relica apparel

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I see a lot of replica team apparel on Ebay. The sellers claim its of good quality, made in Europe and certainly well priced.
I'm not into team apparel but I do presume that the apparel [namely bib/pants] that the pros wear would be the best and most importantly, the most comfort!!!
I have a bony backside so really keen to get a pair of very comfortable pants. Question - how close is the replica gear [design/quality/comfort] to that of the "real" stuff"? Also is the "real stuff" available to the public?
DISC - waiting for my fizik arione to arrive...:)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Forget ebay! Support your local bike shop!!! If your LBS doesn't have what you're looking for they can order it for you.

Choosing a bib/short is one of the most important gear purchases one can make in this sport, and one of the most difficult. Trial by fire, just like shoes. Not every brand fits the same, for instance I wear size L Assos bibs, but Vermarc bibs in the same size are too large and I hate their chammy, even though it's the same bib that Quick Step uses.

All the pro gear is the same what is available to the public. The only variances you'll see are in the graphics, usually sponsor logos that very from season to season.

...and don't forget:
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Forget ebay! Support your local bike shop!!! If your LBS doesn't have what you're looking for they can order it for you.

Choosing a bib/short is one of the most important gear purchases one can make in this sport, and one of the most difficult. Trial by fire, just like shoes. Not every brand fits the same, for instance I wear size L Assos bibs, but Vermarc bibs in the same size are too large and I hate their chammy, even though it's the same bib that Quick Step uses.

All the pro gear is the same what is available to the public. The only variances you'll see are in the graphics, usually sponsor logos that very from season to season.

...and don't forget:
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!!

Thanks for your comments. Yes I do support my local bike shop. I recently purchased a new bike through them.
O.K. so the replica gear will have the same chammy and made of the same material as the pro gear?

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sometimes the graphics are the only thing pro about the garment, even if they are made by the same company that supplies the pros.

RDV on supporting my local bike shop. Australian prices for many products are much higher than what i can get online...if they can match it easy, if not I am willing to pay more, but not too much. If they give service and can't match the price I'll pay for service and advice. Fair?

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but just to continue the point, i really want to support my LBS, and they do their best to help given i am a regular customer, but it gets a bit ridiculous at times. Eg. Pair of Sidi Ergo 2s - bought online $375 AUD, same pair seen in shop for $600. Like Karlboss, if the diff. is just a bit more, say 10 or even 20%, I'll pay it, coz next time i need advice and help i'll be going into that bike store, but i can't justify 225 bucks extra. It's not their fault either, just the way the exchange rates and market sizes and taxes work out i know, but what can you do...

Willow22 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but just to continue the point, i really want to support my LBS, and they do their best to help given i am a regular customer, but it gets a bit ridiculous at times. Eg. Pair of Sidi Ergo 2s - bought online $375 AUD, same pair seen in shop for $600. Like Karlboss, if the diff. is just a bit more, say 10 or even 20%, I'll pay it, coz next time i need advice and help i'll be going into that bike store, but i can't justify 225 bucks extra. It's not their fault either, just the way the exchange rates and market sizes and taxes work out i know, but what can you do...

Yes, remember that it generally isn't the bike shop gouging(altho that sometimes happens) but online resellers relying on volume rather than margin. Try to support the bike shop, including with new wheels, rather than getting something from a website. But most bike shop owners understand the 'market'.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Willow22 said:

The thread has mutated a little but I do agree with these sentiments. I've just brought a fizik arione cx [new] off Ebay. It cost me US$150.00 including courier fee to New Zealand. Given current exchange rate the landed cost to me was NZ$220.00. That's NZ$200.00 cheaper than the LBS in the city.
The saddle arrived 4 days after payment.......
Obviously the price difference is more profound if 1, the US$ is weak or the NZ$ is strong, which is currently the case.
So I guess the best thing is to support your LBS to the point where it isn't finanically prudent to do so...