• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If they want to find Remco doing something suspicious, why don't they just watch him racing?
Thats the worst argument you can possibly make. Sure, some performances might seem too good to be true. But that is not evidence at all. I could take all the PEDs available and my performance would still not look suspicious and the same can be true vice versa.

Anyway, when I read the headline I was pretty curious about the actual footage. But looking at the 7s clip, I found it to be pretty underwhelming. The guy broke his hip and needed to be transported to the hospital. Of course you would take away anything that could hurt him even more when lying on it. Maybe the content of his pocket was indeed doping related, maybe it was not but evidence? Absolutely not.

Thats the worst argument you can possibly make. Sure, some performances might seem too good to be true. But that is not evidence at all. I could take all the PEDs available and my performance would still not look suspicious and the same can be true vice versa.
That was actually the point I was trying to make. The only thing that video was good for was for pretty much baseless speculation as it provided absolutely zero evidence and almost just as little indication of Remco doping. And I just don't see why anyone who hasn't doubted the legitimacy of Remco's performances so far would now suddenly think he is doping based on that video. The video simply added absolutely nothing.

That was actually the point I was trying to make. The only thing that video was good for was for pretty much baseless speculation as it provided absolutely zero evidence and almost just as little indication of Remco doping. And I just don't see why anyone who hasn't doubted the legitimacy of Remco's performances so far would now suddenly think he is doping based on that video. The video simply added absolutely nothing.
Ah, ok. Get it.

Reactions: joe_papp
I don't know. If it was the same bottle that Evenepoel was drinking from at the start of the descent, he had sufficient time to throw it away. Since he did not, I think it would not be an unreasonable supposition that it was not empty at the time of the crash.

Because of the relative recency I'm still getting used to them.

But now that you reminded me about the rules, there is nothing abnormal about Bramati's actions in the video.
Remco would have had to carry the empty bottle to 20km to go and I think why we see him flatten it, he knows he's carrying it for another 25km until the 20kml itter zone imo, or at least until the camera was off him, which is unlikely in the bigger races in the lead group as the UCI now have direct feeds from the bikes going to judges truck too so you can't escape anything, even if not shown on broadcasters feed to us. The only feed/litter zone was back at 128km to 131km. The finish bottle was grabbed for the descent he crashed on along where Mollema got his finish bag too iirc. As Remco was on the front in full view of the cameras, if he threw the bottle he would be fined by UCI. Some teams accept the fine for the convenience in the real heat of the race, but he was just descending so no realy need to litter imo. The way he downed his finish bottle like a jagerbomb as swift as possible I would say suggests Ketone Ester was in it as that stuff tastes like really bad tequila and he appears to need to down it in one from the video. Could just be how he drinks too, it matters little.

I'm not suspicious of him at all. It's Vayer playing twitter video games, just saying why he would have had empty bottle in his pocket. To think a 4G modem could be pulled out with finger tips is not rational either! You would hide it along with radio. Crikey Lotto all have their radios in custom Adam Hansen cases and nobody has ever even batted an eyelid for example.

Reactions: joe_papp
Correct, we don’t see what happened before or after, so we don’t know. But the idea that he reaches directly in the back pocket, pulls something out, stands up and immediately puts it in his pocket, then doesn’t continue digging through his pockets...
Which is why i believe it might have been the last item he takes out, or even possibly the only item Remco was carrying and Bramati "searched" his other pockets prior . If not, it would be even more damaging showing the footage that he didn't do that right before pulling out this item. Now it is implied that he quickly takes this item and only this item, but if the footage had shown that he went to Remco to retrieve only this item, that would be much more suspicious and Vayer would surely have included it. Which leads me to believe, that the full footage, paints a different picture.
Vayer is implying Bramati takes out this item quickly before anybody sees it. But, at that time, the other DQT manager had already reached Remco and is sitting next to him, lifting Remco's head and keeping it steady, and medics are already present as well. So it certainly doesn't seem like DQT rushed down to retrieve this item. Furthermore, Bramati standing up is what probably looks most "weird" to people as if he just robbed Evenepoel. But if you think that, you should put on some jeans, crouch forward, and try putting something in your pocket... not happening. You need to get up to put something in your pocket.
This is all conjecture, of course. Just like the the assumption it could be something illegal.

Last edited:
Took a bit of time to read a fair number of the posts since Twitter erupted. Oh my goodness, conspiracy madness! There is nothing here folks, which I believe has been done to death by others, so no need for me to repeat why. It is worth repeating that the UCI has a vested interest in changing the subject from rider safety, so if there is interest in thinking through "what is happening here", there's that ;)

While I still believe doping is happening, and I certainly have doubts about mega-performances and talents, this incident has laughably gone into the world of crazy and wacky.

TRENDING THREADS