• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remember USPS and Bruyneel were tipped off on Spanish testing

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Whenever Bruyneel's guys were in Spain, they always were tipped off about impending tests, so they could either skip off the radar, to avoid the out of competition testing, or they could make sure it was out of their system.

They were not subject to the same OOC testing regime in Spain.

Major point that needs to be considered in this case.

blackcat said:
Whenever Bruyneel's guys were in Spain, they always were tipped off about impending tests, so they could either skip off the radar, to avoid the out of competition testing, or they could make sure it was out of their system.

They were not subject to the same OOC testing regime in Spain.

Major point that needs to be considered in this case.

Important to note that Hincapie & Armstrong never ever in the history they lived in Girona prior to 2006 received an out of competition test. Ever.

So much for the most tested athlete krap.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Important to note that Hincapie & Armstrong never ever in the history they lived in Girona prior to 2006 received an out of competition test. Ever.

theHog, sorry, but where are Garmin based, please tell me

blackcat said:
theHog, sorry, but where are Garmin based, please tell me

Girona. Spanish spelling Gerona.

Lovely place. Small town with cobbled streets. Great riding. In fact almost the best place in the world to ride in terms of location, access, quality of roads, food etc.

Also location of the world famous restaurant El Bulli.

But yes Garmin's base is there. Armstrong & Barry found the place first. JV stole the idea.

Wiggins is still based there 6 months of the year.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

can you elaborate

tubularglue said:
can you elaborate

I've posted the details here before. Basically in the good old days out of competition testing was conducted by your home country federation. So the US cycling federation never flew to Spain to conduct a test. Armstrong, Hincapie et al would notify them that they were coming to the US for say 2 weeks and a "scheduled" surprise out of competition test was conducted.

Things have changed now but the reason they all moved from France to Spain was for this reason.

I'll dig out the exact detail and links.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
thanks,

who was running the federation at this time?

was ochowicz on the board and what teams was he working for?

was tailwind running the federation?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I've posted the details here before. Basically in the good old days out of competition testing was conducted by your home country federation. So the US cycling federation never flew to Spain to conduct a test. Armstrong, Hincapie et al would notify them that they were coming to the US for say 2 weeks and a "scheduled" surprise out of competition test was conducted.

Things have changed now but the reason they all moved from France to Spain was for this reason.

I'll dig out the exact detail and links.

I think TheHog may need to take the stand as an expert witness at some point in the near future.

A

Anonymous

I wish I could find the interview

Before one TdF LA is asked about doping and he replies (sic), "Hey, I live in France where doping is a crime If I was worried about anything I'd move to Spain!" Next year they moved camp to Gerona/Girona.

Armstrong and Frankie Andreu both lived in Nice 99 before Lance went stratospheric by winning the Tour. Bobby Julich also lived in Nice. I dont think the French authorities bothered too much with non-french riders at that time.

Andreu has admitted to doping with EPO in 99 so kinda negates the "living in France under tough doping rules" defence.

Lance didnt compete after the Tour in 99 and then decamped to Spain even though he spent a lot of money on the place in Nice. The very first edition of ProCycling magazine came with a video on Armstrong interviewed in Nice(early 99) at his house and there was major construction going on at the time. This is also mentioned in an written article with Lance deploring the level of workmanship in France. Nice is described as the perfect place to live for training purposes, access etc.

The saying "getting out of town before the **** hits" comes to mind.

TRENDING THREADS