• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Replacing "vintage" (i.e. 30+yr old) pedals

In case anybody is interested I'm on the verge of perfecting the "just boil it off with water in a pot" technique. (I haven't invented using boiling water for this purpose, I just think my way is much easier than trying to use sheer muscle, or, god help us, using open flame.)

Anyhoo, just got a rusty old pedal off a crank that is over 30 years old again (did use this technique once before), it gave me a tremendous hard-on.

So, if anybody is interested, I'll give you more detailed instructions. And pictures! :)

Tricycle Rider said:
In case anybody is interested I'm on the verge of perfecting the "just boil it off with water in a pot" technique. (I haven't invented using boiling water for this purpose, I just think my way is much easier than trying to use sheer muscle, or, god help us, using open flame.)

Anyhoo, just got a rusty old pedal off a crank that is over 30 years old again (did use this technique once before), it gave me a tremendous hard-on.

So, if anybody is interested, I'll give you more detailed instructions. And pictures! :)

Pics are always great and well received

bicycle mechanics being a source of arousal is certainly something different......I wish I had similar reactions.

So glad you asked, JRS. :)

Anyhoo, the ingredients you will need are: an old pot (I like to build sort of a pyramid with several so the pedal will be completely submerged in water), some boiling water, a 15mm open-ended wrench (I actually had to use a 16mm on this particular model), an older French bike that nobody cares about anymore, a rag, and some cooking spray. (You can use any lubricant, I just prefer to use cooking spray.)

Steps-

Build a pyramid with your pots so pedal will be submerged

Add boiling water (please practice with cold water if you've never done this before)

Wait about 7 minutes

Remove pots and use wrench to remove pedal. (Please be sure to turn the wrench the correct way, otherwise you'll be there all day wondering why the pedal isn't coming off.)

Take rag and clean both pedal threads and crank threads, apply cooking spray to pedal threads and put back on the crank. Remove pedal again. (I do this several times, I want to make sure that I haven't somehow managed to melt the crank threads.)

pedal%201.jpg

What you are (hopefully) left with is removed rusty, crunchy old pedals, and cranks with nice clean threads.

pedal2.jpg

Re:

ray j willings said:
Great idea, very clever. Just like applying heat/flame to tight bolts.

Great stuff
Thank you, rayjw, it was actually sheer desperation that led me to this.

Along with trying to use various tools and muscle power I had tried all kinds of lubricants and rust removers, it didn't work out so well for me. I had read that people use boiling water and flamethrowers and whatnot, I just thought the boiling water would be the safest.

Whatever works it's cool, I just found a way that works for me.

TRENDING THREADS