• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello Everybody !!

University of Oxford researchers are to spend $2 m. in a 3 year programme to determine why mankind believe in God. Faith in God is universal human impulse found in most cultures, though it has been waning in western Europe.
Thanks.

lovejenete said:
Hello Everybody !!

University of Oxford researchers are to spend $2 m. in a 3 year programme to determine why mankind believe in God. Faith in God is universal human impulse found in most cultures, though it has been waning in western Europe.
Thanks.

Yet another Armstrong thread! Enough is enough already.

Researchers will be using this piece of precision scientific equipment.

webwitch.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I've really been back and forth on deleting this person's posts. They don't have any commerical content or link, so I can't do it for those reasons. On the other hand, they don't make a lot of sense, either.

Susan

If you check the IP, you'll probably find they are located in India, etc. The only thing that I can figure is that they embed membership and posts into a forum, and then introduce keywords and links later to improve their google ranking.

Or it's just someone without a front lobe that likes to talk about mostly nothing. :D

lovejenete said:
Hello Everybody !!

Thanks.

$2M! That's really cheap, a bargain if you ask me. A majority of the world particle physicists are looking for the so-called "God particle" (at least that's what Leon Lederman chose to name it in a best?-seller book) in multi-billion $ machines such as the Tevatron and the LHC.

This God particle, also named Higgs particle, was first proposed by Englert and Brout and wikipedia can tell you more about it. (Higgs, Englert and Brout are physicists)

God is a much shorter name that a trinity of names like Englert-Brout-Higgs and also more economical than father-son-holy spirit.

So, in a few years we will know if the God particle exists, if it is unique or a composite of several entities, or maybe does not exist at all, in which case Leon Lederman will no doubt want to replace it with an atheist particle of sorts.

If you read this far you have only yourself to blame.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well they spend money researching other forms of mental illnesses why should this field be any different. Maybe they will develop a new medication to cure this form of delusion.

As Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) put it:"Man is the Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion..... several of them."
- "The Lowest Animal," 1897
Of course he also said "Oh, this infernal Human Race! I wish I had it in the Ark again--with an auger!" , so he may have just be bitter!

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
$2M! That's really cheap, a bargain if you ask me. A majority of the world particle physicists are looking for the so-called "God particle" (at least that's what Leon Lederman chose to name it in a best?-seller book) in multi-billion $ machines such as the Tevatron and the LHC.

This God particle, also named Higgs particle, was first proposed by Englert and Brout and wikipedia can tell you more about it. (Higgs, Englert and Brout are physicists)

God is a much shorter name that a trinity of names like Englert-Brout-Higgs and also more economical than father-son-holy spirit.

So, in a few years we will know if the God particle exists, if it is unique or a composite of several entities, or maybe does not exist at all, in which case Leon Lederman will no doubt want to replace it with an atheist particle of sorts.

If you read this far you have only yourself to blame.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: .

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Do you really thing that is such a good idea?

Susan

Susan, I was being sarcastic, when i saw that in the forum i first laughed my head off and secondly thought how stupid would someone be to start a thread up about that stuff. It was a joke. Don't get your knickers in a not.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
If you check the IP, you'll probably find they are located in India, etc. The only thing that I can figure is that they embed membership and posts into a forum, and then introduce keywords and links later to improve their google ranking.

Or it's just someone without a front lobe that likes to talk about mostly nothing. :D

+1
I would suggest if someone is starting a thread and they don't respond to comments within that thread within 12-24 hours it should be considered eligible for removal at the whim of the moderators. Especially in the general topic thread since it is for anything non cycling.

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Properly Translated...

This was supposed to read...

"Hello Everyone,

University of Oxford researchers are to spend $2 m. in a 3 year programme to determine why mankind believe in Going Odd (GOD). Faith in GOD is a universal human impulse found in most cultures, though it has been waning in western Europe with the introduction of the EU amendment proposal 2.113.445.a.1.2.3.4 restricting practice of Oddness and thus proliferating GOD-ness."

Sorry 'bout that......

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
lovejenete said:
Hello Everybody !!

Thanks.

Susan Westemeyer said:
I've really been back and forth on deleting this person's posts. They don't have any commerical content or link, so I can't do it for those reasons. On the other hand, they don't make a lot of sense, either.

Susan

Looks like s/he is fishing for opinions as research for the study, ie a return on the $2M investment. Commercial enough for me. Spam too.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
We should continue the gay enigma topic here as it was shut down by Susan:mad:

I will need to second that...I am gay and need some validation from the racing community.......help please.......need thread and no repression from mods....damn you susan....

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cash05458 said:
I will need to second that...I am gay and need some validation from the racing community.......help please.......need thread and no repression from mods....damn you susan....
:eek::eek::eek:
Well, I'm not but I just found it funny:D

TRENDING THREADS