• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maaaaaaaarten said:
So yes, it may be remarkable for Jesus to have learned how to read, considering his background. But if all our historical sources portray him as discussing scripture as a fundamental part of his public ministry, then what's the more likely conclusion? That all of that stuff is just made up, or that he learned to read, because he wanted to read the scriptures?

From cyclocross to theology, I just love reading Maarten. :)

One of the reasons I'm still on this place, actually.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Allways wondered, if Jesus were killed in the 21th century, would christians be wearing electric chair necklaces?
It's unlikely he'd have been executed. Maybe he would have to spend some time in an Israeli prison for some public disorder thing. He would write a book or two. Maybe record a few albums.

Think Varg Vikernes.

Jspear said:
War or peaceful?
God is a righteous God. He is just, and holy, he must judge the wicked. The Egyptians had enslaved the Israelites, and Pharaoh would not let them go. He finally did, and the Israelites started to leave. Pharaoh changed his mind and went after them with his army. The Lord God parted the Red Sea, let the Israelites pass, and then destroyed the Egyptians. The passage you are referring to is a song that the Israelites sang afterwards praising God for His goodness towards them. He had helped them in battle....He had fought for His children.

At the same time God is merciful and loving. It is His desire that we would all humble ourselves, repent and turn to Him. The Egyptians could have, at any time repented, and God would have spared them. God is perfectly just, and at the same time, He is perfect in mercy. Maybe you can't understand that...but, it is not a contradiction. It simply shows how amazing God is. This is why He sent his Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. Because He is holy, he can't be around sin....he must judge it. So He put our punishment on His son, so that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. If you and I accept that gift, then we are free.

Who was Jesus dads dad?

Matthew traces Jesus through Joseph (his legal father- remember Mary was conceived by the Holy Spirit) to David's son Solomon. Luke traces Jesus, through his mother Mary, to Nathan .(Another son of David's). Luke does not say he is giving Jesus' genealogy through Joseph. He notes that Jesus was “as was supposed” (Luke 3:23) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, while in reality he was actually recording Mary's genealogy in Luke.

Who was at the tomb?
Well if you read all the accounts and harmonize them you will be able to see who was at the tomb. There isn't any contradiction, they are simply telling different accounts of the same story....it all adds up. Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome came to the tomb.

Round 2 :D
I enjoy to read your understanding of the bible.

GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

genesis stuff, but it would be nice to see which 1 is right

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's unlikely he'd have been executed. Maybe he would have to spend some time in an Israeli prison for some public disorder thing. He would write a book or two. Maybe record a few albums.

Think Varg Vikernes.

I don't know man, do you really feel comparing Someone that taught to 'turn the other cheek' to a convicted murderer makes a lot of sense? :p

GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

Everything which is written in the bible was written by different persons, so it is normal lots of things don't make sence (nothing makes sence in fact, but you get the point).

I have a question to the religous people here.

Something that bothers me (which by the way I think it proves to be extremely arrogant) is the fact that religion ignores the dimension of the Universe. Do you actually believe we're that special? What makes you think (apart from an holy book), that we're, ultimately, different from other living beings? What makes you think that we're alone in the Universe, when it comes to intelligent life forms?

How does that make sence to you?

BigMac said:
Something that bothers me (which by the way I think it proves to be extremely arrogant) is the fact that religion ignores the dimension of the Universe. Do you actually believe we're that special? What makes you think (apart from an holy book), that we're, ultimately, different from other living beings? What makes you think that we're alone in the Universe, when it comes to intelligent life forms?

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=1356

BigMac said:
Everything which is written in the bible was written by different persons, so it is normal lots of things don't make sence (nothing makes sence in fact, but you get the point).

It doesn't:
"When I see your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and stars that you set in place—

What is man that you are mindful of him,
and a son of man that you care for him?"

BigMac said:

You gotta watch Sam give his "what if I believed I had a diamond in my garden" speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG72wpp_mLM&t=2m10s

Elvis version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPtH4IDFNQ

On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness
The sun (which separates night an day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

God's first creation on day 1 was time (It is important to keep this in perspective.) He made the axis which the earth spins on (creating day and night.) On the 2nd day He created space, the 3rd day He created plants, and on the 4th day He created the sun, moon, and stars. So on day one, light was coming from a source other than the sun. The sun is now the source of light(giving us day and night) since day 4 of creation.

Tree's were created before man was created.
Man was created before trees were created.

Genesis 1 states that trees were created before Adam. Genesis 2 does as well. In verses 4-6 it says that because there was not a man to till the ground, God sent up a mist from the earth that watered everything. Verse 7 (after talking about how God watered all the plants) says, and the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed life into him. Verse 8 says God planted a garden for man to live in. This isn't talking about the creation of trees and all other plant life. This was a special place God made for Adam.

Birds were created before man was created.
Man was created before birds were created.

Genesis 1 is giving the order of events in chronological order. The focus in Genesis 2:19 is on naming the animals, not on creating them. Genesis 2 does not contradict chapter 1 since is does not affirm exactly when God created the animals. It simply says that the animals God created, He brought to Adam for him to name them. Taken together the two chapters show a more complete picture of the creation events.

BigMac said:

The Bible actually makes a lot of sense. It's amazing...It's 66 different books, written by 40 different authors, over a time period of 1500-2000 years, and yet it has no contradictions. Many of these authors didn't even know each other, and yet it has amazing accuracy.

As for your other question about life beyond our planet, I'd encourage you to read this article....It's pretty good.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/are-ets-and-ufos-real

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BigMac said:

Since God created everything, he must have also created alien life forms. What I just wonder is whether we have to share heaven with them later, or whether they have their own.

The Hitch said:
You gotta watch Sam give his "what if I believed I had a diamond in my garden" speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG72wpp_mLM&t=2m10s

Elvis version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPtH4IDFNQ

Thx for sharing Hitch, did not know this person yet

Jspear said:
The Bible actually makes a lot of sense. It's amazing...It's 66 different books, written by 40 different authors, over a time period of 1500-2000 years, and yet it has no contradictions. Many of these authors didn't even know each other, and yet it has amazing accuracy.

When I say it doesn't make sence, I mean that the bible's content is unreasonable. Creation is illogical.

God, religion, creations of the need to believe in something superior, the need to believe you don't simply disappear after death. Most people can't live knowing this is it, life is life. Life is. The universe is. We're atomic matter. I am atomic matter, you are atomic matter, the dog is atomic matter, the fish, the cow, the vegetables you have for dinner are matter. Our intellectual advantage over other species is explained by evolution, but that doesn't make us superior in any way. Humans are not special like religion makes you think.

Humans created god, not the other way around. That is my point when I say the bible (or any other book relating creation) doesn't make sence.

Also, according to the bible, god created man and land animals on the same day. This includes dinossaurs and other pre-quaternary-cenozoic fauna, right? On the same day as man? How do you explain the millions and millions of years time gap between man and these beings, proved by geological dating? Radiometric dating is not very accurate, but trust me, it doesn't miss by that much. Let alone millions of years.

Jspear said:
As for your other question about life beyond our planet, I'd encourage you to read this article....It's pretty good.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/are-ets-and-ufos-real

It's a nice read but it doesn't add anything new. We all know alien life is not supported through most religions, because to them we're special, unique creations. Which takes me back to my first quote.

How exactly did god create the universe? How did he fill earth with water? How did he plant and populated Earth in a couple of days? Did he clap his hands and magic was done? Conveniently it isn't explained, because there is no reasonable explanation. Yet again. Just as reasonable as Jonah talking to god inside a fish.

Logic, hello? Where are you?

BigMac said:
When I say it doesn't make sence, I mean that the bible's content is unreasonable. Creation is illogical.

God, religion, creations of the need to believe in something superior, the need to believe you don't simply disappear after death. Most people can't live knowing this is it, life is life. Life is. The universe is. We're atomic matter. I am atomic matter, you are atomic matter, the dog is atomic matter, the fish, the cow, the vegetables you have for dinner are matter. Our intellectual advantage over other species is explained by evolution, but that doesn't make us superior in any way. Humans are not special like religion makes you think.

Humans created god, not the other way around. That is my point when I say the bible (or any other book relating creation) doesn't make sence.

Also, according to the bible, god created man and land animals on the same day. This includes dinossaurs and other pre-quaternary-cenozoic fauna, right? On the same day as man? How do you explain the millions and millions of years time gap between man and these beings, proved by geological dating? Radiometric dating is not very accurate, but trust me, it doesn't miss by that much. Let alone millions of years.

It's a nice read but it doesn't add anything new. We all know alien life is not supported through most religions, because to them we're special, unique creations. Which takes me back to my first quote.

How exactly did god create the universe? How did he fill earth with water? How did he plant and populated Earth in a couple of days? Did he clap his hands and magic was done? Conveniently it isn't explained, because there is no reasonable explanation. Yet again. Just as reasonable as Jonah talking to god inside a fish.

Logic, hello? Where are you?

Humans did not create God.

Isaiah 45:18 says, “For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; He hath established it He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.” The end of verse 21 says, “and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is non else”

God created us and has revealed Himself through His word. Romans 1:18-22 says,

“18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools.”

Creation declares that there is a God. You simply suppress this knowledge. In your heart of hearts you know that God exists.

You ask how God created the universe. Scripture says that He spoke everything into existence. Psalms 33:6-9 “By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea together as a heap; He lays up the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.”

Here is an article concerning dating methods.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/ee2/dating-methods

Also here is an excellent video for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u3-2CGOMQ

TRENDING THREADS