• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
There's a lot of really interesting advice on these threads about various training techniques, but little (outside of diet) about what to do off the bike. As I find myself getting older (mid-thirties), I am much more conscious of needing rest between heavy physical exertions. Can anyone recommend a weekly routine that includes training rides and rest, and how does one rest? Does that mean doing nothing, or does it mean a light ride? What should I be doing on off-days to maximize recovery?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I am from the no pain no gain generation. I find myself working out to exhaustion or near injury, and when the creakiness is too much I rest a day or so. I really do not do it right, but it always seems to happen this way.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
daviel said:
I am from the no pain no gain generation. I find myself working out to exhaustion or near injury, and when the creakiness is too much I rest a day or so. I really do not do it right, but it always seems to happen this way.

Well, this has been my tack, too. My wife's greeting as I came home from some activity was invariably "what did you hurt this time?" My other problem has been working at 60%; "if it's not 120%, then what's the point," mind and body used to say...

I'm trying to check that attitude a bit, but I'm also interested to know how I can ensure optimal recuperation between rides so that I'm fresher and stronger the next time out.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
A good measure of the body's need for rest is evaluation of resting heart rate first thing in the morning. A decreased blood pH (acidosis) results from intense training sessions, since acidic metabolic by-products are formed during such workouts. One of the body's ways (and the easiest to measure) of dealing with acidosis is elevation of the resting heart rate.

If a higher than normal resting heart rate is measured in the morning, it is a good idea to go for a very easy ride. A ride of under an hour with a maximum effort of 60% of maximum heart rate is a good way to increase blood flow to the muscles without introducing more acidic metabolic by-products. The increased blood flow will serve to 'flush' toxins form the muscles and increase oxygen and nutrient delivery to the muscles. Both of these things halp speed recovery. Be certain to drink plenty of water on these days to increase urine production.

Easy days such as this move toxins from the muscles to the blood, from the blood to the bladder, and from the bladder to the toilet.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
My intellectual brain knows that. Problem is my 'reptile' brain doesn't care and stays on the no pain/no gain track. I just try to live with it...

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
After reading a few training books (The cyclist training bible by Joe friel and one by Chris Carmichael) and finally accepting the need to take on a rest day as a training session I have found myself definately improving (after a long plateau) and better ready for the saturday crits. Both these guys suggest 2 (max 3) hard days per week. One of these days includes a weekend race. The other days being slow spinning days i.e feeling like the ride is pointless. They also suggest a 4-6 week cycle with the last week being of reduced hours and having virtually no intense efforts. It has been hard to accept succumbing to 30-90 min slow rides, particular as the ego makes it difficult watching people ride by then look back as if you have got nothing, but it seems to have worked.

If all else fails, get a coach who actually knows what they are doing.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
awal3207 said:
After reading a few training books (The cyclist training bible by Joe friel and one by Chris Carmichael) and finally accepting the need to take on a rest day as a training session I have found myself definately improving (after a long plateau) and better ready for the saturday crits. Both these guys suggest 2 (max 3) hard days per week. One of these days includes a weekend race. The other days being slow spinning days i.e feeling like the ride is pointless. They also suggest a 4-6 week cycle with the last week being of reduced hours and having virtually no intense efforts. It has been hard to accept succumbing to 30-90 min slow rides, particular as the ego makes it difficult watching people ride by then look back as if you have got nothing, but it seems to have worked.

If all else fails, get a coach who actually knows what they are doing.

Good post. My reptilian brain also prevails on most occasions, particularly when there is a bunny in the distance. I now get coaching and this has helped me train specifically and more importantly learn the value and benefits of rest. I get coached by Carmichael Training Systems and their program is described well by awal3207: 2-3 interval sessions, 1-2 long endurance rides, and 1-2 rest or easy recovery days. Every fourth week is an off week with less intensity and more base work/recovery.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I see two options on a rest day, slow easy ride or the aerobic blast so popular in many sports. It's supposed to leave you invigorated, it's short and gets the blood pumping and the muscle working briefly, it's reasonably intense but not involving suffering or pushing yourself. It's supposed to be fun.

Most of my experience comes from contact sports where you're physically in bits for a day or two, but have also experienced pretty extreme oxidative/glycolytic stress as well as wear and tear from heavy impacts. It's nice to do something fun that moves you around a bit, the big muscles of the legs and back in particular kind of go "aaah thank you".

This is where good coaches stop being physiology robots and look at the human in total. Chasing your kids around the garden and tickling them would be an aerobic blast. Playing some casual badminton, doing keepy-upps with a football. Even a bit of golf. Swimming is great, I am pretty crap at it but it's just a great feeling when you're physically trashed. I wonder if the riders have a dip in the pool on stage races. I guess they have a professional full body massage, or several of them instead.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I did nothing today - workout that is. The left hip should function w/o pain tomorrow. 30 minutes each way bicycle commute, 30 min aero and half mile swim are scheduled tomorrow.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
This is where good coaches stop being physiology robots and look at the human in total. Chasing your kids around the garden and tickling them would be an aerobic blast. Playing some casual badminton, doing keepy-upps with a football. Even a bit of golf. Swimming is great, I am pretty crap at it but it's just a great feeling when you're physically trashed. I wonder if the riders have a dip in the pool on stage races. I guess they have a professional full body massage, or several of them instead.

Impressed that you are man enough to admit that you play casual badminton.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
awal3207 said:
Impressed that you are man enough to admit that you play casual badminton.

Yep it's a real mans game :D

I go to pottery class afterwards then do some yoga to unwind. Now if you'll excuse me I'm late for my manicure *minces*

TRENDING THREADS