• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

retirement accounts

UGH!!!!!! Very annoying when the company you are working for gets sold so the 401K get closed and you get a letter a month after that happens that you basically have 30 days to decide if you want a lump sum payment or if you want to roll it over into an IRA account and figure out how to manage that. Technically you get 60 days, but that's from the date of the account being closed.

Sorry, just venting.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
UGH!!!!!! Very annoying when the company you are working for gets sold so the 401K get closed and you get a letter a month after that happens that you basically have 30 days to decide if you want a lump sum payment or if you want to roll it over into an IRA account and figure out how to manage that. Technically you get 60 days, but that's from the date of the account being closed.

Sorry, just venting.
That or when the firm that holds your IRA sells to another firm (with different structure). I tried to figure that one out on my own one time but ended up getting help from a money guy.

Reactions: Koronin
That or when the firm that holds your IRA sells to another firm (with different structure). I tried to figure that one out on my own one time but ended up getting help from a money guy.

That can't be any fun either. I called my financial advisor today and he helped me get everything started including talking with the firm that holds the 401K so they can get it transferred over. Just more headaches I didn't need.

Reactions: jmdirt
That can't be any fun either. I called my financial advisor today and he helped me get everything started including talking with the firm that holds the 401K so they can get it transferred over. Just more headaches I didn't need.
My financial advisor of about 20 years father got killed (horrific auto accident), and he is so mentally/emotionally damaged from it that his business is pretty much gone. I haven't been able to actually talk with him for over two years, except a drunken (him not me) phone tag about a year and a half ago. I kind of just tried to watch it as best I could, but I'm working with a different guy now. I've just started some new stuff with him and will probably have him take over my other accounts at some point soon. This new guy came high recommended and he seems really on it. The first stuff he did for me in March ate poo immediately because of C19 so when he called me I told him that he failed the test! :p

My financial advisor of about 20 years father got killed (horrific auto accident), and he is so mentally/emotionally damaged from it that his business is pretty much gone. I haven't been able to actually talk with him for over two years, except a drunken (him not me) phone tag about a year and a half ago. I kind of just tried to watch it as best I could, but I'm working with a different guy now. I've just started some new stuff with him and will probably have him take over my other accounts at some point soon. This new guy came high recommended and he seems really on it. The first stuff he did for me in March ate poo immediately because of C19 so when he called me I told him that he failed the test! :p

My financial adviser is the one who my mom has worked with and my grandmother did for several years when he was first starting out. He now has a partner who I've been doing some work with as well. It definitely helps to have a good advisor. I think any advise right before C19 hit can be excused. I just wish I'd have had more money to buy more stocks during the March/April down turn. Got one definite good deal that is currently working out nicely, but only could buy a very minimal amount. On the bright side at least I had a bit of money sitting there to get a good deal with.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS