• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Retrospective testing

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Once again, this just shoes how screwed up the system is.

We happen to find out that some 'A' samples might be positive, yet they haven't done the 'B' sample testing yet.

How does this happen? Why does this happen? We shouldn't know anything until all the testing is complete, the athletes have been notified, etc.

This is why i feel for the athletes. They have no rights when it comes to this. The heads of each federation involved should get steam rolled.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
While the IOC has about the same credibility regarding doping as the UCI and perhaps even the ASO, the timing of such retests bothers me, much the same way as the USADA waited until the height of the cycling season to make its accusations against Armstrong et al.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
mwbyrd said:
Once again, this just shoes how screwed up the system is.

We happen to find out that some 'A' samples might be positive, yet they haven't done the 'B' sample testing yet.

How does this happen? Why does this happen? We shouldn't know anything until all the testing is complete, the athletes have been notified, etc.

This is why i feel for the athletes. They have no rights when it comes to this. The heads of each federation involved should get steam rolled.

I agree 100%. We have LA crying about due process where it doesn't apply, but this is one example of how athletes rights have been violated (as per WADA Code) and this has happened way too many times.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
spetsa said:
I agree 100%. We have LA crying about due process where it doesn't apply, but this is one example of how athletes rights have been violated (as per WADA Code) and this has happened way too many times.

I'm not sure I agree with you regarding LA. When all the press went nuts when it was claimed that his samples from a previous tour ('99 I think) tested positive along with several other riders, his was the only name released. So I think he may have an argument that he has been unfairly targeted.

To me this whole USADA stinks of the same thing. Why is the focus only on LA and his team? If names are going to be released and accusations made, it has to be against all the parties involved and not just one rider and team. All of the names should be released at once, ie Kevin L, Levi L, Dave Z, Tyler H and all the other guys from other domestic teams. Disclaimer - just guessing at names that could be involved.

Keep in mind that my point isn't to defend LA, but to state that I think every athlete, regardless of popularity or results, should be treated the same.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
tumblr_lekiylPqsC1qd2cvl.gif

that may be the best cat meme I've ever seen. I was also shocked to learn that "funny cat memes" is a phenomena dating back to the 1870's? Who knew...

I disagree that Julich is a nice guy, but I think he's smart enough to realize how ridiculous it would look for him to accept a medal besides the one he has now.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
spetsa said:

who's rights have been violated? did I miss something? Near as I can tell, there are 5 adverse findings on the re-test. No names, no sports, nothing.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
mwbyrd said:
I'm not sure I agree with you regarding LA. When all the press went nuts when it was claimed that his samples from a previous tour ('99 I think) tested positive along with several other riders, his was the only name released. So I think he may have an argument that he has been unfairly targeted.

To me this whole USADA stinks of the same thing. Why is the focus only on LA and his team? If names are going to be released and accusations made, it has to be against all the parties involved and not just one rider and team. All of the names should be released at once, ie Kevin L, Levi L, Dave Z, Tyler H and all the other guys from other domestic teams. Disclaimer - just guessing at names that could be involved.

1) Regarding all teams, the USADA does not have an unlimited budget.

2) Other US Postal members have not be accused presumably because they were either granted immunity or have agreed to reduced sentences in exchange for testimony.

The simple fact is that in matters of a conspiracy, enforcement agencies typically go after the big fish, one reason being is cumulatively, their crimes are the greatest.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a question, again regarding timing. Could this move by WADA provide legal and scientific justification for the USADA to test some of Armstrong's frozen samples?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
neineinei said:
4 2004 Olympics medalists disqualified after further analysis of their stored samples:

Yuriy Bilonog (1st, men’s shot put; Ukraine), Svetlana Krivelyova (3rd, women’s shot put; Russia), Ivan Tsikhan (2nd, men’s hammer throw; Belarus), and Iryna Yatchenko (3rd, women’s discus throw; Belarus)

One case is still pending.

http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-dis...ing-further-analysis-of-stored-samples/184931

Another Belarusian athlete?

From memory that's 5 caught out of 12 medals.

Yes 12 medals: http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/
26 Belarus G 2 S 5 B 5 Total: 12

TRENDING THREADS