• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Revelations 2015

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
dirkprovin said:
Hear, hear !! I'm even more of a hardnosed realist and I think he'll definitely be struggling for any wins this year outside of these early season crits. The evidence of his rides at Comm Games, Ride London and most Beijing sprints was that he was a long way off having the strength or the legs to compete against the big boys and probably even the better 2nd tier sprinters.

If OGE are sensible, they'll keep him clear of most WT events and send him to the non WT races like Turkey, Cali and maybe the later season North American races where he'll come up against SOME top sprinters but nowhere near top fields. It frankly would not surprise to see a few HDs on his card; any results (podium finishes) in any races outside AUS will be bonuses.

I agree with you, he will suffer againts the top sprinters and others like hofland,mezgec,demare...
I think he can win some stages 2.1 and classics 1.1 , but WT will be difficult for him, perhaps in the tour down under or in poland he can take a chance.

pablohidalgo7 said:
I agree with you, he will suffer againts the top sprinters and others like hofland,mezgec,demare...
I think he can win some stages 2.1 and classics 1.1 , but WT will be difficult for him, perhaps in the tour down under or in poland he can take a chance.

OGE weren't planning on running him in TDU; whether they've reassessed post Gerrans' spill remains unknown but I suspect they'll be going with Impey for a high GC finish and a reasonable WT points swag rather than stage-wins and a commensurably lower points haul.

Agree that Poland, and maybe Eneco, are the only other WT races I can see him being given a run. Some "hard truths" this season will serve him far better career-wise than early success/inflated ego ........ then the reality checks.

pablohidalgo7 said:

For sure. Also, Ewan won't be expecting to come straight in as the first choice sprinter at OGE. Matthews is coming off an excellent season and guys like Howard and Blythe are fairly well established and will also get chosen first for bigger races. Despite the rapid rise, he's remained fairly well grounded.

Ewan had his eyes opened a bit last year at the TDU by the sheer power and presence of Kittel and Griepel. Even though Ewan can match their top end speed he doesn't have the same launch, positioning skills or the respect in the bunch required to get amongst the biggest sprinters yet. I also suspect that his size is something that he's wary of for now.

42x16ss said:
For sure. Also, Ewan won't be expecting to come straight in as the first choice sprinter at OGE. Matthews is coming off an excellent season and guys like Howard and Blythe are fairly well established and will also get chosen first for bigger races. Despite the rapid rise, he's remained fairly well grounded.

Ewan had his eyes opened a bit last year at the TDU by the sheer power and presence of Kittel and Griepel. Even though Ewan can match their top end speed he doesn't have the same launch, positioning skills or the respect in the bunch required to get amongst the biggest sprinters yet. I also suspect that his size is something that he's wary of for now.

Concur 100%

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to see how Sebastian Henao will go. Of course, Sky will need to make the right decision of supporting him in races, but I believed he could have done better at last year's Giro with more support right from the start.

Re:

Wallenquist said:
I think it's finally time to shine for Ruben Fernandez.

From neo-pro's: Ewan, Cort, Teuns, Vervaeke & Benoot

Time to step forward and win something big: Senechal, Chaves, Meintjes

Hugo Koblet said:
Magnus Cort
Phil Bauhaus
Tiesj Benoot

LosBrolin said:
Dylan Teuns or Tiesj Benoot

It's fair to say Tiesj Benoot was THE revelation of 2015. Credits to these 3 above.

Now who will be the revelation of 2016?

Re: Re:

Amsterdam said:
Wallenquist said:
I think it's finally time to shine for Ruben Fernandez.

From neo-pro's: Ewan, Cort, Teuns, Vervaeke & Benoot

Time to step forward and win something big: Senechal, Chaves, Meintjes

Hugo Koblet said:
Magnus Cort
Phil Bauhaus
Tiesj Benoot

LosBrolin said:
Dylan Teuns or Tiesj Benoot

It's fair to say Tiesj Benoot was THE revelation of 2015. Credits to these 3 above.

Now who will be the revelation of 2016?
Thanks, but on the other hand the other two I mentioned were completely anonymous :D