• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Revised Ambitions: Lance and Le Tour 2010

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Let's suppose the current bomb to hit the sport fails to explode and things carry on as normal for RadioShack and the other riders implicated. The Tour begins with all the stars present.

Will LA be up to the fight against the younger men who've inherited the sport?

Considering his mediocre form, lack of racing and now injury and the destabilising effect of the FL allegations, should LA even bother this year?

His attitude after his crash today was an unprecedented experience for me. I'd never seen him so negative. I'm not a fan of his bullying ways or his personality in general, but he seemed more vulnerable than he's ever let on before.

He's getting some exposure right now in media outlets normally indifferent, but it's not for cancer awareness.

I think it's almost at the point where if Lance went to the Tour, the best result would be to play the loyal teammate card in service of AK/LL. Unfortunately, neither have done much this season to suggest they are in career best form.

A week ago I expected Lance to go to the Tour and be a key player, I can't see that now.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I think it's almost at the point where if Lance went to the Tour, the best result would be to play the loyal teammate card in service of AK/LL. Unfortunately, neither have done much this season to suggest they are in career best form.

A week ago I expected Lance to go to the Tour and be a key player, I can't see that now.

Playing loyal teammate in the big one doesn't sit easily with him, as recent history shows. It also shows what he says and what he does are two different things: "I support Alberto/It's not clear who's leader."

I was just looking at the ToC thread where someone said today could be the last time LA races. It's a possibility. I still can't get over the way he just gave up. Lance = quitter? Who'd have thought.

well...if there is anything that these events tell you it's that armstrong is protected by the uci. which means his blood values will be allowed to fluctuate way more than others and he will be able to take showers and have coffee when the testers come knocking.

frankly, his "fitness" now means zilch. since he and ferrari will be able to amp it up come tour-time. i still fully expect a radical change in "form" to miraculously appear.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it really makes a difference that he doesn't finish TOC. Before he never raced in May. But what makes a difference is what Floyd might have in his pocket, if he has nothing Lance will be in TDF..but if he has something to back his story up Lance will never ride bike again at professional race.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
well...if there is anything that these events tell you it's that armstrong is protected by the uci. which means his blood values will be allowed to fluctuate way more than others and he will be able to take showers and have coffee when the testers come knocking.

frankly, his "fitness" now means zilch. since he and ferrari will be able to amp it up come tour-time. i still fully expect a radical change in "form" to miraculously appear.

maybe, yes. But under these circumstances, wouldn't that cast a bigger cloud over the guy's credibility and constitute evidence? Everyone would know it's not age and experience this time, but manipulation. A PR nightmare.

TRENDING THREADS