• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rhubroma said:
Well it's "sane" only if his version of the story is truthful. Otherwise, we have someone with serious denial and psychological issues.

I hope for Riccò that he is telling the truth, but his past, and those of so many of his colleagues, makes me at the very least somewhat skeptical.

It's even more sane if he's lying because that would clearly mean professional cycling isn't a healthy activity for him.
I like Ricco, and I'm sad his comeback failed like that, but I hope he really can move on and leave all that stuff behind.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the person who will do the biggest damage to the sport in it's history will be LA, but you know this and make every effort to deflect that. ;)

those rider's who expose the rotten heart of the sport willingly are part of the process that will help the sport move from a PED riddled sport to one of majority of clean participants .

Riccó is a symptom of being a talented rider/athlete encouraged to dope from a young age just like LA. Teenage dopers who know no different becoming adult dopers.

You might be very right. I encourage young not to dope, that is where it begins.

spalco said:
It's even more sane if he's lying because that would clearly mean professional cycling isn't a healthy activity for him.
I like Ricco, and I'm sad his comeback failed like that, but I hope he really can move on and leave all that stuff behind.

I'm gonna go out on a limb with you: I like Riccò too.

Not because of his failures and his shortcomings, but because in a world (pro cycling) governed by moral relativism, his voice was at least not that of the usual hypocrisy we get from others who try to cover-up their past sport crimes and lies with the good school-boy performance.

Which means that his fate only reinforces the slimy environment, where those that come back and behave "as they should" get treated a certain way, those that don't get treated differently. Another classic case of the same weight being give two different measures.

Somebody made the comparison with Landis, well here is where the real similarity is to be found.

Not that I defend his doping, but, at least in this, there is a rather ironic integrity to his character. The only thing I'm saying is that there is a pathos in his persona that is in some strange, human, way compelling to me.

rhubroma said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb with you: I like Riccò too.

Not because of his failures and his shortcomings, but because in a world (pro cycling) governed by moral relativism, his voice was at least not that of the usual hypocrisy we get from others who try to cover-up their past sport crimes and lies with the good school-boy performance.

Which means that his fate only reinforces the slimy environment, where those that come back and behave "as they should" get treated a certain way, those that don't get treated differently. Another classic case of the same weight being give two different measures.

Somebody made the comparison with Landis, well here is where the real similarity is to be found.

Not that I defend his doping, but, at least in this, there is a rather ironic integrity to his character. The only thing I'm saying is that there is a pathos in his persona that is in some strange, human, way compelling to me.

Very well said! In one way, Ricco was more honest, less hypocritical, than most of his colleagues. Wish him all the best.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
I feel genuinely sorry for the boy, but now it's time for him to step away from the circus and grow up. I'm glad he's decided to quit the sport because it seems he was mentally (if not physically) unable to compete without illegal aids. However, the guy's probably been doping since he was a junior, so much of the blame for the way he's turned out should be laid at the door of the adults who first supplied the young Ricco. In many ways he's just a product of the system - he knows how corrupt it is, probably knows of riders still doping and getting away with it.

I watched Tirreno today and was disgusted to see DiLuca up near the front in the finale. But then I looked at who he had for company and there were Scarponi and Basso - two other convicted dopers. One less doper in the sport is a good thing but there's a long way to go before it comes anywhere close to being clean.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the person who will do the biggest damage to the sport in it's history will be LA, but you know this and make every effort to deflect that. ;)

those rider's who expose the rotten heart of the sport willingly are part of the process that will help the sport move from a PED riddled sport to one of majority of clean participants .

Riccó is a symptom of being a talented rider/athlete encouraged to dope from a young age just like LA. Teenage dopers who know no different becoming adult dopers.

Ricco is one to expose the "rotten heart" of the sport?
Who is he going to expose?
His inlaws? His wife?
Hasn't he done that a few times already?

Dude, Ricco IS at the rotten heart of cycling.
Spitting on Dr Sassi's grave.

He will be "racing" in Gran Fondos soon - doped to the gills of course.
Waving to the crowds.
Hopefully he will not ride in any LiveStrong sponsored Gran Fondo's.
Should be banned from them.

rolfrae said:
I feel genuinely sorry for the boy, but now it's time for him to step away from the circus and grow up. I'm glad he's decided to quit the sport because it seems he was mentally (if not physically) unable to compete without illegal aids. However, the guy's probably been doping since he was a junior, so much of the blame for the way he's turned out should be laid at the door of the adults who first supplied the young Ricco. In many ways he's just a product of the system - he knows how corrupt it is, probably knows of riders still doping and getting away with it.

I watched Tirreno today and was disgusted to see DiLuca up near the front in the finale. But then I looked at who he had for company and there were Scarponi and Basso - two other convicted dopers. One less doper in the sport is a good thing but there's a long way to go before it comes anywhere close to being clean.

While I respect your viewpoint, I fear, rolfrae, that it's too linear and not nuanced enough.

Because there is, as you correctly point out, a long way to go before this sport is clean. In the end we only have the dramatic side and, if anything, Riccò's case is dramatic and is as tragic as it is pathetic.

But, in the end, his figure stands up to the pathos just as well as it does to the drama. Which makes his a sensational performance.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
rhubroma said:
While I respect your viewpoint, I fear, rolfrae, that it's too linear and not nuanced enough.

Because there is, as you correctly point out, a long way to go before this sport is clean. In the end we only have the dramatic side and, if anything, Riccò's case is dramatic and is as tragic as it is pathetic.

But, in the end, his figure stands up to the pathos just as well as it does to the drama. Which makes his a sensational performance.

I realise that nothing in life, and little in cycling is black and white. I feel sorry for Ricco but also feel sorry for the riders he cheated when he was competing. A more mature brain in his head and he might not have made the same mistakes, or equally as possible, a more mature head and he might still have chosen to dope, but don't it more successfully (i.e. not got caught).

rolfrae said:
I realise that nothing in life, and little in cycling is black and white. I feel sorry for Ricco but also feel sorry for the riders he cheated when he was competing. A more mature brain in his head and he might not have made the same mistakes, or equally as possible, a more mature head and he might still have chosen to dope, but don't it more successfully (i.e. not got caught).

Yes, just like everyone else. :rolleyes:

But we can only have approved, or disapproved, had he done it more successfuly. ;)

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Time will tell ... but I believe this is all bluster.

He wants to ride again and is bicycling around to show prospective employers that he's still in top shape.

If he truly didn't say anything incriminating than he'll be riding in Gran Fondos in the future.

Which, I hate to admit, makes me in agreement with Polish.

The Hitch said:
SOunds sane to me. Would like to see him turn on a few people though. If hes got no chance of returning to the peloton tell the authorities about doping in the peloton. Presumably thats what he means by " The world of cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit."

My read is that "cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit" because he was so quickly made persona non grata and laughed at by the peloton. Not because he's disgusted that so many in the peloton dope.

Elagabalus said:
Time will tell ... but I believe this is all bluster.

He wants to ride again and is bicycling around to show prospective employers that he's still in top shape.

If he truly didn't say anything incriminating than he'll be riding in Gran Fondos in the future.

Which, I hate to admit, makes me in agreement with Polish.

My read is that "cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit" because he was so quickly made persona non grata and laughed at by the peloton. Not because he's disgusted that so many in the peloton dope.

Either way, it's a pathetic end to a sensational performance.

auscyclefan94 said:
As usual, another cheat blaming everyone but himself. Go away Ricco...

I have to say that was my reaction when I read the story. Making accusations and denying any responsibility.
He sounds like a mix of immaturity and personality probs...and I get sick when he refers to himself in the third person ...the 'Ricco' syndrome.
As far as I'm concerned, he has not contributed enough to cycling to have earned a place ...he's a legend in his own mind.

He should thank the ones who saved him if he was indeed that ill.
sorry but move on...don't need him.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
uniballPolisher said:
Ricco is one to expose the "rotten heart" of the sport?
Who is he going to expose?
His inlaws? His wife?
Hasn't he done that a few times already?

Yep let's hope he sells his family, his partner, his partner's family and his doctor, his dealer etc to CONI.

uniballPolisher said:
Dude, Ricco IS at the rotten heart of cycling.
Spitting on Dr Sassi's grave.

WAS the rotten heart, like LA and spitting former doping doc Sassi.

uniballPolisher said:
He will be "racing" in Gran Fondos soon - doped to the gills of course.
Waving to the crowds.
Hopefully he will not ride in any LiveStrong sponsored Gran Fondo's.
Should be banned from them.

racing livewrong gran fondo's that's about it, up there with his real bro LA.

forty four said:
we do not need more rats who once caught at there own game tattle on there once compatriots and the sport which made them rich that is the lowest of the low.
as much as i dislike ricco i dont think he would do that though he is rather sleazy look at his treatment of his pregnant wife well see. dont do the crime if you cant do the time put simply seriously no more back stabbing rat/aka bitter ex-cyclists its just sad.

I'm forced to agree that the rats are distasteful. But they're a lot better than the "winners" in the peloton who create the pressure that induces so many to dope. The pro peloton is filthy. Ricco's only sin, in the eyes of the peloton, is that he overdid his "program" and brought embarrassment to them.

And the rats heighten all the doping drama that makes pro bike racing so much fun to follow. The rats expose the true geekiness of the sport.

Personally I think the whole anti-"rat" culture has been built up by the bullies and the powerful in general, who are the ones who benefit from it. I say, screw that. They have to be taken down, and sharing information about them is the only way.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Personally I think the whole anti-"rat" culture has been built up by the bullies and the powerful in general, who are the ones who benefit from it. I say, screw that. They have to be taken down, and sharing information about them is the only way.

I still can't see Ricco,"Ratting out" his own family. That would be like turning states evidence against the 'Costa Nostra.' Simply not done.
It will be fun racing with Ricco in all the Grand Fondos though. I am hoping to get a photo of me, Vania, bambino, and Ricardo after we ride it.

As far as Ricardos' upcoming tell all book, I am sure it will be a nationwide hit in Italy!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Very well said! In one way, Ricco was more honest, less hypocritical, than most of his colleagues. Wish him all the best.

He's still denied quite a lot. He has just had a little cry saying "poor me, I am a victim". I don't wish him any happiness

flicker said:
I still can't see Ricco,"Ratting out" his own family. That would be like turning states evidence against the 'Costa Nostra.' Simply not done.
It will be fun racing with Ricco in all the Grand Fondos though. I am hoping to get a photo of me, Vania, bambino, and Ricardo after we ride it.

As far as Ricardos' upcoming tell all book, I am sure it will be a nationwide hit in Italy!

Brilliant.

Its got it all. THe mispelling at the right time (Costa Nostra:D) the baiting of the clinic clique (its simply not done) and the brilliant joke at the end (get a photo of ....)

Wonder Who? Who needs WL when you have flicky on this sort of form.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

epic naivety regarding human nature i use to get ****ed when i came on here now these forums are comic relief. i feel so intelligent on here great ego boost just reading posts thanks to you and quite a few others lol....

oh also your slow your opinions show this if you think im wrong anytime.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Its sad that only 2 years after he was touted as the next big thing, and saying "im the happiest person in the world" after winning a second tour stage, this is what it has come too.
I still contend on the grear, and they all are, he is the best grimpeur in the peloton, he got it over Andy and Berto

mewmewmew13 said:
I have to say that was my reaction when I read the story. Making accusations and denying any responsibility.
He sounds like a mix of immaturity and personality probs...and I get sick when he refers to himself in the third person ...the 'Ricco' syndrome.

As far as I'm concerned, he has not contributed enough to cycling to have earned a place ...he's a legend in his own mind.

He should thank the ones who saved him if he was indeed that ill.
sorry but move on...don't need him

Here he's imitating his idol, Pantani.

Oh, I don't know about that, when you consider his feats at the Giro and Tour (which he still obstinately claims to be his victories), he was pretty bad a$$. Especially when he did it against doped rivals. For they were all on cera, though for reasons we will never know didn't test positive for it.

Let's make pretend that Riccò, like his rivals, didn't get caught for using cera, went on to win that Tour and today would probably have a Giro under his belt too and be the biggest challenge to Contador. Sound too far fetched? Not at all, in fact this was his projected career before it all came unwound.

Your last statement sounds like what many of us would have been advising a certain Texan in 96. Imagine what the sport would have been like today?

I'm not saying Riccò's a victim, but just that in the sport, unlike many of his doped rivals, he's gotten a particularly hard paper route. Some don't feel sorry for that, that he brought it upon himself, etc, which is a completely valid response. But in the end, before we knew, he road like few others have in his generation.

TRENDING THREADS