• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Roche will be useless tomorrow. He said he went pretty deep and gave it all. Not sure if that's the best move by BMC. If Porte got isolated so early tomorrow, blame whoever came up with the tactic for today.

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Fuglsang is not capable of a one /two finishing behind BMC strongest Dom on Wednesday and now too far down in real terms...
BMC doms were higher up the climbs than anyone on Wednesday except Thomas so certainly "conducive to that kind of formula." !!!!

And even a one/two as you put still needs to be helped up a climb...so not very good argument to say other team are allowed to be weaker ...unless you havent a clue what "dropping one off" is about

To criticize BMC but give the other a free pass for 'weaker' Doms .. your formula is myopic and one dimensional

The truth is BMC are the only team so far who have dome anything while the others sit behind SKY
The team rosters are what they are.

Movistar's team at the tour is very weak. Their best domestiques either are out of the race (Valverde), out of form, or have ridden the Giro. Astana's team this year is very weak. They're hemorrhaging money and can't afford to sign anyone. Their best riders outside of Aru/Fuglsang are probably Kangert and Cataldo and Kangert's season ended at the Giro. They were never going to build strong leadout trains for their teams. Hence why they are structured the way they are.

You're the one being myopic. Obviously Astana/Movistar would love to have 5 Quintana level climbers on their teams, but it's foolish to expect that. And without the mountain doms to compete, their tactics are adjusted according to surf wheels on the Sky Train and attack when your remaining riders are stronger than their best remaining domestiques. So far, that tactic for Astana for Aru has worked out better than BMC's for Porte.

The tactic for having "the second best team at the Tour" is not to do exactly what the first best team at the Tour wants you to do.

Re:

CTQ said:
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/blog/2017/07/09/tan-lines-singularly-focused

"The way BMC Racing rode the first major mountain stage of this year's Tour sends all the wrong signals to not just their rivals, but their leader, too, writes Anthony Tan."
Succinctly put. Then again Porte failed to deliver on Wednesday and is likely to fade ...but BMC could have waited until after the rest day, considering Porte's accomplishments in the first half of the season.

Just GVA would have sufficed yesterday.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
CTQ said:
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/blog/2017/07/09/tan-lines-singularly-focused

"The way BMC Racing rode the first major mountain stage of this year's Tour sends all the wrong signals to not just their rivals, but their leader, too, writes Anthony Tan."
Succinctly put. Then again Porte failed to deliver on Wednesday and is likely to fade ...but BMC could have waited until after the rest day, considering Porte's accomplishments in the first half of the season.

Just GVA would have sufficed yesterday.

That article is misleading...Porte was not isolated yesterday (Saturday) ...he had three riders with him until the final climb and then he had one Caruso

I dont mind the criticism but would want the truth

Katabatic said:
HelloDolly said:
Fuglsang is not capable of a one /two finishing behind BMC strongest Dom on Wednesday and now too far down in real terms...
BMC doms were higher up the climbs than anyone on Wednesday except Thomas so certainly "conducive to that kind of formula." !!!!

And even a one/two as you put still needs to be helped up a climb...so not very good argument to say other team are allowed to be weaker ...unless you havent a clue what "dropping one off" is about

To criticize BMC but give the other a free pass for 'weaker' Doms .. your formula is myopic and one dimensional

The truth is BMC are the only team so far who have dome anything while the others sit behind SKY
The team rosters are what they are.

Movistar's team at the tour is very weak. Their best domestiques either are out of the race (Valverde), out of form, or have ridden the Giro. Astana's team this year is very weak. They're hemorrhaging money and can't afford to sign anyone. Their best riders outside of Aru/Fuglsang are probably Kangert and Cataldo and Kangert's season ended at the Giro. They were never going to build strong leadout trains for their teams. Hence why they are structured the way they are.

You're the one being myopic. Obviously Astana/Movistar would love to have 5 Quintana level climbers on their teams, but it's foolish to expect that. And without the mountain doms to compete, their tactics are adjusted according to surf wheels on the Sky Train and attack when your remaining riders are stronger than their best remaining domestiques. So far, that tactic for Astana for Aru has worked out better than BMC's for Porte.

The tactic for having "the second best team at the Tour" is not to do exactly what the first best team at the Tour wants you to do.

Good luck with that..remaining riders stronger than Thomas, Landa, Kwaito,.etc ..this is where I feel BMC criticisms too hard...they are not waiting for that flawed tactic

And also to say they are the second best team but have useless Doms is a strange contradiction

Lack of a team hurts Porte only when gets dropped before the flat between Colombier and Chat. It could very well happen, specially if it rains as he is a poor descender. If he manages to stay with his rivals until the start of the flat section, he should be ok as he is not the one with target on his back. Starting from Chat, all that matters is his own strength and ability.

Re:

jsem94 said:
Hope it's nothing career ending.

Sounds like there was no obvious injuries like broken limbs or collarbone but you would have to think he has bad bruising and maybe a concussion at least. If his injuries aren't bad I wonder if BMC will think about the Vuelta for Porte. Thomas also gone and maybe Majka as well. Gutsy ride by Dan Martin.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
LRP was riding into 3rd place today..
Acted like a Man when the Froome mech happened.
So sad that the crash happened when it did.
Broken collarbones at Rio and now here. Such **** luck..
Wish him a speedy recovery...

I have a feeling that descent will be off the agenda for a while now after crashes in both the Dauphine and the Tour. It was an unusual crash, it was like he went straight through the bend.

movingtarget said:
jsem94 said:
Hope it's nothing career ending.

Sounds like there was no obvious injuries like broken limbs or collarbone but you would have to think he has bad bruising and maybe a concussion at least. If his injuries aren't bad I wonder if BMC will think about the Vuelta for Porte. Thomas also gone and maybe Majka as well. Gutsy ride by Dan Martin.
:) :)
#LRPtoWinVuelta!

BMC send out DS Fabio Baldato to speak to the press

"I can only speak with caution. We were a couple of minutes behind, and when we got there with my eyes I saw him in pain.

"We are all sad. Richie did a lot of work for this Tour de France since the start of the year. Recons, training camps, we did everything possible to put him on the podium. We put the whole team around him. For sure it's sad. I hope he can come back stronger. He deserved a good result."

Months and months of preparation and sacrifices down the toilet..

I'm not surprised.

I said before the race, Porte will find some way to get sick, crash, get ill, get a bad day, anything. It's a crash this time. I hope he's ok but he's no GT material. It's just like Gesink, but on a better level, if you always run into something, you'll never win

movingtarget said:
silvergrenade said:
LRP was riding into 3rd place today..
Acted like a Man when the Froome mech happened.
So sad that the crash happened when it did.
Broken collarbones at Rio and now here. Such **** luck..
Wish him a speedy recovery...

I have a feeling that descent will be off the agenda for a while now after crashes in both the Dauphine and the Tour. It was an unusual crash, it was like he went straight through the bend.

The same bend almost caught out Barguil, but should have been easier in the bunch. Fingers crossed for Porte, he's had an incredibly frustrating 12 months. Hopefully he can come back smiling.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
BMC send out DS Fabio Baldato to speak to the press

"I can only speak with caution. We were a couple of minutes behind, and when we got there with my eyes I saw him in pain.

"We are all sad. Richie did a lot of work for this Tour de France since the start of the year. Recons, training camps, we did everything possible to put him on the podium. We put the whole team around him. For sure it's sad. I hope he can come back stronger. He deserved a good result."

Months and months of preparation and sacrifices down the toilet..

Yes he was looking good on the climb, a real shame to go out like that. Also a shame for Martin who had been riding well also. Contador crashed twice, Gesink, Majka and Thomas are out I think. Not a good day. I will cheer on Uran and Martin now. I hope at least one of them makes the podium.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

I said before the race, Porte will find some way to get sick, crash, get ill, get a bad day, anything. It's a crash this time. I hope he's ok but he's no GT material. It's just like Gesink, but on a better level, if you always run into something, you'll never win
I'm afraid he lacks something else: the will.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe the luck of this guy. Man, I don't know how you can live with it. He suffered almost everything. It's too bad, really too bad. Now we can't see whether he can challenge Froome. Do you guys think he'll be back for Vuelta?

Alexandre B. said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

I'm afraid he lacks something else: the will.
I disagree Alexandre...there's no evidence of that. But like Dekker_Tifosi wrote, there were many of us wondering what it was going to be this time. And here we are.

TRENDING THREADS