• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Coulda woulda shoulda. To finish first, you first have to finish. Plus in TdS quintana put pressure on him in the final mountain stage and Fuglsang was able to stay with Porte in that stage.
Look were both of them are.

Porte won the TDS and let's face it none of them were at their peak for that race. Fuglsang can still get a good result in the Tour but I'm starting to think that Quintana needs to leave Movistar and start again with a different manager. It's not happening for him lately.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
yaco said:
Porte's biggest issue is convincing Ochovitz to allow him to ride the Vuelta - Miss this race and his preparation for 2019 is damaged.

Ochovitz is still looking for his podium after paying millions for Porte so I guess he will go to the Vuelta

Weather Ochovitz gets that podium is another matter
Route is absolutely perfect for Porte.

And the field doesn't look great. The Movistar trio. Simon Yates? Whate else? Other Tour double ups from riders who aren't close in the Tour right now?

Escarabajo said:
SeriousSam said:
Alexandre B. said:
SeriousSam said:
Could've dominated this Tour
On which basis?
Richie >= Geraint at everything important
This is the first time I see this GT.

i think the point is that Thomas has never finished higher than 15th in a GT and he is a year younger than Porte and they also have the same problem staying upright. Even though Porte had an interrupted year sometimes less racing can work well and leave more improvement in the legs when the Tour comes around. it's hard to say how Porte and Nibali would have gone but the Thomas comparison with Porte isn't a bad one. Richie doesn't have the kick at the finish of stages like Thomas has of course. I think career wise the last two seasons have been big misses for Porte in grand tours. His fifth place in 2016 showed he can do it and that fifth place was done with an untimely puncture and two crashes. Porte's next 12 months will probably define his GT career. Either it will be more of the same or he finally reaches the podium but of course he will mainly be remembered for his domestique work at Sky and his short stage race wins. The Worlds course is a good one for him this year, there won't be a better one for him but more time off the bike won't help. A podium at least at the Vuelta will definitely help him for next year.

Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
yaco said:
Porte's biggest issue is convincing Ochovitz to allow him to ride the Vuelta - Miss this race and his preparation for 2019 is damaged.

Ochovitz is still looking for his podium after paying millions for Porte so I guess he will go to the Vuelta

And the field doesn't look great. The Movistar trio. Simon Yates? Whate else? Other Tour double ups from riders who aren't close in the Tour right now?

Nibali almost certainly. It's possible that the Mitchelton trio will go after Adam's disappointmet here. Lopez, probably Uran? George Bennet, Aru. Plus whoever Sky send is likely to be competitive. Could be a cracker and there won't be a cobbled stage to wipe out half the contenders :mad:

postmanhat said:
Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
yaco said:

Nibali almost certainly. It's possible that the Mitchelton trio will go after Adam's disappointmet here. Lopez, probably Uran? George Bennet, Aru. Plus whoever Sky send is likely to be competitive. Could be a cracker and there won't be a cobbled stage to wipe out half the contenders :mad:
Nibali is far from certain, and he can't possibly be competitive for the GC. Lopez, Uran, Bennet, Aru all basically all also rans.

Sky threw all eggs in 2 baskets, and have nothing left for the Vuelta, unless Thomas somehow goes to the Vuelta after a possible Tour win, which is super unlikely. Poels and Froome aren't trebling up, Bernal isn't doubling up unless they're actively trying to ruin him. What does that leave for Sky? Henao?

Sunweb are bringing Kelderman, who's not really gonna light up the race. I guess Zaka is likely after disappointing Tour.

Wonder if LottoNL are bringing any of the Tour guys. I think the route is absolutely perfect for Roglic, but given the Tour is his first GC attempt, him going for the Vuelta isn't likely. Kruijswijk could go but I don't think he could be competitive 2 GTs in a row.

So to me it seems like a very deep field, but not a very strong one.

Red Rick said:
postmanhat said:
Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
yaco said:

Nibali is far from certain, and he can't possibly be competitive for the GC. Lopez, Uran, Bennet, Aru all basically all also rans.

Sky threw all eggs in 2 baskets, and have nothing left for the Vuelta, unless Thomas somehow goes to the Vuelta after a possible Tour win, which is super unlikely. Poels and Froome aren't trebling up, Bernal isn't doubling up unless they're actively trying to ruin him. What does that leave for Sky? Henao?

Sunweb are bringing Kelderman, who's not really gonna light up the race. I guess Zaka is likely after disappointing Tour.

Wonder if LottoNL are bringing any of the Tour guys. I think the route is absolutely perfect for Roglic, but given the Tour is his first GC attempt, him going for the Vuelta isn't likely. Kruijswijk could go but I don't think he could be competitive 2 GTs in a row.

So to me it seems like a very deep field, but not a very strong one.

David de la Cruz for Sky.

HelloDolly said:
postmanhat said:
Ah. Hadn't read the news about Nibali's prolonged injury treatment. Porte should be a level higher than the rest, in theory. Anyone know what's happening with Pinot for the rest of the year?

Vuelta=
Uran
Niabli
Chaves
2 Yates
MAL
Carapaz
Aru
Pinot - I bet
Valverde
Quintana & Landa - I bet
Henao

Aru, Lopez maybe Uran and Chaves would give Porte a race, Valverde I don't see winning, Carapaz would be competitive probably. The Yates bros were unconvincing this year so far. Both hitting the wall badly in their grand tour attempts. Maybe if the race only went for 10 days they would be fine. The Vuelta is often an odd race, coming in late in the season, previous races are not always a good indicator. Aru and Porte probably need it the most while Valverde would love to do well. A problem for Porte if he lines up is maybe the strength of his team. Dennis will probably be there and Bookwalter and Roche. Dunno who else. Maybe Ventoso.

HelloDolly said:
postmanhat said:
Ah. Hadn't read the news about Nibali's prolonged injury treatment. Porte should be a level higher than the rest, in theory. Anyone know what's happening with Pinot for the rest of the year?

Vuelta=
Uran
Niabli
Chaves
2 Yates
MAL
Carapaz
Aru
Pinot - I bet
Valverde
Quintana & Landa - I bet
Henao

The only confirmed GC rider Mitchelton Scott will bring to the Vuelta is S.Yates - A.Yates is not riding while Chaves is no certainty.

movingtarget said:
HelloDolly said:
postmanhat said:

Vuelta=
Uran
Niabli
Chaves
2 Yates
MAL
Carapaz
Aru
Pinot - I bet
Valverde
Quintana & Landa - I bet
Henao

Aru, Lopez maybe Uran and Chaves would give Porte a race, Valverde I don't see winning, Carapaz would be competitive probably. The Yates bros were unconvincing this year so far. Both hitting the wall badly in their grand tour attempts. Maybe if the race only went for 10 days they would be fine. The Vuelta is often an odd race, coming in late in the season, previous races are not always a good indicator. Aru and Porte probably need it the most while Valverde would love to do well. A problem for Porte if he lines up is maybe the strength of his team. Dennis will probably be there and Bookwalter and Roche. Dunno who else. Maybe Ventoso.

S.Yates is definite podium material if he can back up for a second GT, though the team won't be as strong as in the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS