• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Porte in PN '13 form would not have dropped time to the Frenchies on stage 10.
The question is : Can he step up?

True, i doubt he can step it up though. He has never shown that form this year.

As much as I would like Nibali to win, I think it would be very cool for Richie Porte to pull it off. If he did, it would surely solidify Team Sky as a "dynasty" type team similar to the old days of La Vie Claire.

Wiggo, then Froome, and then Porte .. 3 years in a row.. would be kinda cool i think ? :D:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
masking_agent said:
As much as I would like Nibali to win, I think it would be very cool for Richie Porte to pull it off. If he did, it would surely solidify Team Sky as a "dynasty" type team similar to the old days of La Vie Claire.

Wiggo, then Froome, and then Porte .. 3 years in a row.. would be kinda cool i think ? :D:D

the problems is other riders will ride against RP once Nibali gain anther thirty seconds or so. On Stage 10, they already expect RP to tow then jump off him in the final meters.

Miburo said:
True, i doubt he can step it up though. He has never shown that form this year.

Can form not vary during the season? I think Nibali is already looking a lot better than he did as recently as the Dauphine ? If Nibs can be better why not Richie? He did after all get mucked around with his prep due to illness prior to Giro then refocussed on TdF. That could bring him into form late - for weeks 2 and 3. Yes I may be optimistic but I think it is also logical?

While I still don't think Porte will beat Nibali I don't think I'm alone on here thinking he can make it interesting if he does not have any bad days.

Cookster15 said:
Can form not vary during the season? I think Nibali is already looking a lot better than he did as recently as the Dauphine ? If Nibs can be better why not Richie? He did after all get mucked around with his prep due to illness prior to Giro then refocussed on TdF. That could bring him into form late - for weeks 2 and 3. Yes I may be optimistic but I think it is also logical?

While I still don't think Porte will beat Nibali I don't think I'm alone on here thinking he can make it interesting if he does not have any bad days.

Exactly. It is logical.

The question is whether he has enough miles in his legs to have the fitness level required to ride strongly through multiple multiple high mountain stages. If he just has enough base conditioning, and combines that with being fresher than his rivals (and as everyone keeps harping on, avoids having a bad day) then he could still make a race of it. Though of course Nibali has been a podium GT performer on numerous occasions and Porte never, so to some degree we are still talking about 'potential' here.

Dazed and Confused said:
Porte in PN '13 form would not have dropped time to the Frenchies on stage 10.
The question is : Can he step up?

Probably worth noting his worst days the last two years were Stage 9 (before rest day) and 11 (after rest day). He was pretty supreme in the Alps last year, I think if he can survive the next two days he's looking good - not that he's any chance of taking time out of Nibbles barring an explosion, but he can drop some time to the others and still have a great chance at second place given the ITT.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
JRanton said:
Who was the alternative?

Please don't mention the guy that stopped training for grand tours last year.

Wiggo is at least more consistent then Porte. But I don't understand why Nieve sacrifices his chances for Porte?
Nieve could make it to the top-10 GC today!?

burgyv said:
Wiggo is at least more consistent then Porte. But I don't understand why Nieve sacrifices his chances for Porte?

Wiggins would have lost minutes on that climb today too. He hasn't trained for the high mountains since before last year's Giro and has admitted himself that his GC days are over.

burgyv said:
Think Brailford understood if Wiggo was to be in the team, it made sense he'd be the leader, and this was confirmed by stage 5. BTW, we did confirm today that there was never a plan B.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
The guy tried his best,what more he could do.His performances were impressive given that he was in 2nd place till today,after all he was having a **** year,lots of setbacks.Maybe he'll recover and go for a stage win.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
MBotero said:
The guy tried his best,what more he could do.His performances were impressive given that he was in 2nd place till today,after all he was having a **** year,lots of setbacks.Maybe he'll recover and go for a stage win.

agree kudos

MBotero said:

but that should have been his target the moment Froome abandoned. Richie ain't GT material at all- just look back last year when-even with his extraterrestrial performances- in one single stage he lost 20 minutes.... SKY management already knows that, but they needed to PR him as the plan b when there is NONE. He should lose another 10 minutes in the next mountain stage and then go for an stage win with real chances to achieve it...

May 19, 2014
Visit site
MBotero said:

Porte is not the one to blame, but Brailsford. Porte is verry strong, but in every GT I've seen he does have one verry bad day. (although I don't know if there appeard some fysical problems?)

Knaven already mentioned Nieve as the man for plan c because he is in a verry good conditions (also was plan b in Dauphine). Nieve waiting on Porte is the only mistake Brailsford made, but I will say that it is a big one.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
MBotero said:

The problem today is the first high mountain stage;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
What happened to all those attacks the funboys were predicting when I called Porte "boring wheelsucker" just the other day?

Once again, this is not some TDU joke race but a TDF! :eek: