Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

  • He will only manage the double

    Votes: 7 100.0%

  • Total voters
    7
Jan 20, 2010
713
0
0
Re:

movingtarget said:
He was doing well in last year's Giro until the comedy of errors ! Then he just fell to pieces physically and mentally it seems. I think he probably has two seasons to show his best in a GT. I can't see him doing a Cadel and winning a GT at 34 and Cadel always threatened to win a GT while Porte never has so far.
Correct. Porte has done 9 GT's so far and you wouldn't even think he has a chance at a podium let alone win one. Ok, maybe one year there may be a depleted Vuelta field and if everything went his way he may sneak a podium. Even that's a big call.

Cadel on the other hand had two 2nd's, a third and three other top ten places after 9 GT's.
 
Re:

Lupi33x said:
dunno, Rodríguez was a late developer on the GT front
I am not saying it's impossible for him to improve but most riders are past their best at 34 as far as GTs go. The records show that hardly anyone wins a GT at that age especially these days. Evans win was overdue while Porte has not threatened in the third week. With Rodriguez his podium in the Giro was not against the best GT riders in 2012 and what have De Gendt and Hesjedal done since then ? The Vuelta slipped away from him but it is never easy beating Contador over three weeks even though Rodriguez did look the strongest throughout the race. I think Rodriguez had more raw ability than Porte and was a more versatile rider anyway. But age has now caught up with Rodriguez

If Porte can be more consistent he could threaten the podium and I think the change of team and the rivalry with TJVG will be good for both of them. There will be no surprises from Sky and Froome. Porte will know their workings inside out but Porte also has to show the mental strength that Contador and Froome have that so far he lacks over three weeks.
 
Jan 20, 2016
684
0
0
well Richie is still only 31.

he needs a lot of things to go right for him to podium at a GT, and I see Vuelta as his best chance. He's not in the top class, but nor far off.
For Australia probably the second best GC rider the nation has ever had, so not a bad career.
 
Re:

Lupi33x said:
well Richie is still only 31.

he needs a lot of things to go right for him to podium at a GT, and I see Vuelta as his best chance. He's not in the top class, but nor far off.
For Australia probably the second best GC rider the nation has ever had, so not a bad career.
Third, at least. No way on earth Richie is above Phil Anderson's 5 consecutive TdF Top 10s! Then there's his Dauphine and Mediterranean wins amongst all his other results. Debatable if he's ahead of Rogers Top 10's at the TdF and Giro and his 1 week results as well.
 
Jan 20, 2016
684
0
0
Yeah, debatable whether he was Australian though :)
I was young when Phil was going around. I remember him getting stage wins but didnt realise his overall was that high.
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Lupi33x said:
well Richie is still only 31.

he needs a lot of things to go right for him to podium at a GT, and I see Vuelta as his best chance. He's not in the top class, but nor far off.
For Australia probably the second best GC rider the nation has ever had, so not a bad career.
Third, at least. No way on earth Richie is above Phil Anderson's 5 consecutive TdF Top 10s! Then there's his Dauphine and Mediterranean wins amongst all his other results. Debatable if he's ahead of Rogers Top 10's at the TdF and Giro and his 1 week results as well.
Anderson is definitely the second best. Finishing fifth to Hinault who was at his peak, in his first Tour was a mighty effort.
 
Jan 27, 2012
58
0
0
I would say podium is a very realistic goal for Porte, maybe not the Tour yet. I would say the Giro will fit him better then Vuelta, and avoid the spanish garde at home soil.
 
Phil Andersen is seriously under-rated and even by Aussies - I have him only a touch behind Evans - Strangest thing is cyclingtips.com.au did a series on the top 10 Aussie Riders and Andersen failed to feature in the list.
 
Re:

EddytheBoss said:
I would say podium is a very realistic goal for Porte, maybe not the Tour yet. I would say the Giro will fit him better then Vuelta, and avoid the spanish garde at home soil.
Careful, the sensitive sinuses of Porte will not like the cold Giro weather at all. He is almost certain to fall ill. Vuelta 2016 will have a 30 minute break, don't you worry, and Porte will snake his way in it, and win the stage and then collapse on the next 3 anæmic mountain stages. He'll end up 3rd. Maybe not this year, but next year, or the one after that. Just you wait...
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
EddytheBoss said:
I would say podium is a very realistic goal for Porte, maybe not the Tour yet. I would say the Giro will fit him better then Vuelta, and avoid the spanish garde at home soil.
Careful, the sensitive sinuses of Porte will not like the cold Giro weather at all. He is almost certain to fall ill. Vuelta 2016 will have a 30 minute break, don't you worry, and Porte will snake his way in it, and win the stage and then collapse on the next 3 anæmic mountain stages. He'll end up 3rd. Maybe not this year, but next year, or the one after that. Just you wait...
is it really fair to claim that porte will sneak into a 30 minute break in Vuelta 2016? or are you just salty because he obliterated your crush at one of the recent tours de france?

if porte got 3rd in a GT I am fairly certain his fans and supporters would be quite pleased.
 
Re: Re:

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Brullnux said:
EddytheBoss said:
I would say podium is a very realistic goal for Porte, maybe not the Tour yet. I would say the Giro will fit him better then Vuelta, and avoid the spanish garde at home soil.
Careful, the sensitive sinuses of Porte will not like the cold Giro weather at all. He is almost certain to fall ill. Vuelta 2016 will have a 30 minute break, don't you worry, and Porte will snake his way in it, and win the stage and then collapse on the next 3 anæmic mountain stages. He'll end up 3rd. Maybe not this year, but next year, or the one after that. Just you wait...
is it really fair to claim that porte will sneak into a 30 minute break in Vuelta 2016? or are you just salty because he obliterated your crush at one of the recent tours de france?

if porte got 3rd in a GT I am fairly certain his fans and supporters would be quite pleased.
I was kidding.
 
Jan 20, 2010
713
0
0
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Phil Andersen is seriously under-rated and even by Aussies - I have him only a touch behind Evans - Strangest thing is cyclingtips.com.au did a series on the top 10 Aussie Riders and Andersen failed to feature in the list.
That is ridiculous and ignorant. They obviously have no idea.
Cycling is the new golf. A lot of these blog readers only heard of cycling when ol stuey mate won Paris-Roubaix or even worse when Cadel won the TdF. They have got no idea ol dodgy rogers did a top ten in the tour, or that he was near on leading it the year after, just as they have no idea why this guy called Phil Anderson who runs cycling tours keeps popping up on tv now and then.

Shameful to think LRP could be rated the second best tour rider ever from Australia.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
Night Rider said:
It's been a bit slow on LRP news lately so here's one from last month.

LRP telling forum regular Durian Rider to Get Off My Wheel C . . .

Maybe you should just ride a bit faster LRP?

http://youtu.be/PCWvr4ne_Gc
thanks man. go LRP, ride Durian and BananaGirl off your wheel
Over on the WW site the mods have banned anymore DR talk in the pro thread :D
Some posters were up in arms " its LRP's place of work I would not come into your workplace blah blah blah"

Hey ,the roads are for everyone if you want DR off you wheel then ride quicker or ride somewhere else or why not try asking DR if he would let you train in peace.
 
Yeah, surprised by Richie myself when I saw that video. Team leadership must be getting to his head, durianrider and Cycling Maven rode up some Adelaide climbs with the Sky lads and they seemed cool with it, G even took some pictures. Porte seemed to be the only one bothered. Anyway, gotta love Harley, wish he posted more here.
 
Mar 9, 2013
572
0
0
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
blackcat said:
Night Rider said:
It's been a bit slow on LRP news lately so here's one from last month.

LRP telling forum regular Durian Rider to Get Off My Wheel C . . .

Maybe you should just ride a bit faster LRP?

http://youtu.be/PCWvr4ne_Gc
thanks man. go LRP, ride Durian and BananaGirl off your wheel
Over on the WW site the mods have banned anymore DR talk in the pro thread :D


Some posters were up in arms " its LRP's place of work I would not come into your workplace blah blah blah"

Hey ,the roads are for everyone if you want DR off you wheel then ride quicker or ride somewhere else or why not try asking DR if he would let you train in peace.
I sure as hell are not a fan of Porte. But I watched this vid twice. I cannot hear Porte because Durain Rider never shuts up. Or there is no audio?
I'm calling BS
 
Re: Re:

thehook said:
ray j willings said:
blackcat said:
Night Rider said:
It's been a bit slow on LRP news lately so here's one from last month.

LRP telling forum regular Durian Rider to Get Off My Wheel C . . .

Maybe you should just ride a bit faster LRP?

http://youtu.be/PCWvr4ne_Gc
thanks man. go LRP, ride Durian and BananaGirl off your wheel
Over on the WW site the mods have banned anymore DR talk in the pro thread :D


Some posters were up in arms " its LRP's place of work I would not come into your workplace blah blah blah"

Hey ,the roads are for everyone if you want DR off you wheel then ride quicker or ride somewhere else or why not try asking DR if he would let you train in peace.
I sure as hell are not a fan of Porte. But I watched this vid twice. I cannot hear Porte because Durain Rider never shuts up. Or there is no audio?
I'm calling BS
Ye I am also not convinced Richie did something wrong. I havent seen much of Durain Rider but he comes of as an ego tripping *** from what I have seen. Wouldnt surprise me if he made it up, and I actually dont believe he let the wheel go "because" Richie asked him.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
thehook said:
ray j willings said:
blackcat said:
Night Rider said:
It's been a bit slow on LRP news lately so here's one from last month.

LRP telling forum regular Durian Rider to Get Off My Wheel C . . .

Maybe you should just ride a bit faster LRP?

http://youtu.be/PCWvr4ne_Gc
thanks man. go LRP, ride Durian and BananaGirl off your wheel
Over on the WW site the mods have banned anymore DR talk in the pro thread :D


Some posters were up in arms " its LRP's place of work I would not come into your workplace blah blah blah"

Hey ,the roads are for everyone if you want DR off you wheel then ride quicker or ride somewhere else or why not try asking DR if he would let you train in peace.
I sure as hell are not a fan of Porte. But I watched this vid twice. I cannot hear Porte because Durain Rider never shuts up. Or there is no audio?
I'm calling BS
Ye I am also not convinced Richie did something wrong. I havent seen much of Durain Rider but he comes of as an ego tripping * from what I have seen. Wouldnt surprise me if he made it up, and I actually dont believe he let the wheel go "because" Richie asked him.
He chased Porte down with no issues and Porte pulls over and DR carry's on riding.
DR did a video where he showed his data and his climbing matched that of Pros, Like he said himself, he's not world class but can definitely climb with the pros and has popped a few off his back wheel as well
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
Re:

BigMac said:
Yeah, surprised by Richie myself when I saw that video. Team leadership must be getting to his head, durianrider and Cycling Maven rode up some Adelaide climbs with the Sky lads and they seemed cool with it, G even took some pictures. Porte seemed to be the only one bothered. Anyway, gotta love Harley, wish he posted more here.
hey, we did not hear DR talk to Richie or swear at DR.

and CM does not go uphill that quick, so dont know how he gets the go-pro on richie even when richie is on a training ride


When DR says someone has called him a Cnut, please apply a significant degree of skepticism. DR is just out for page views, this is his gig I think, the advertising and micro blogging. Everytime he calls someone a Cnut or someone calls him a Cnut to get a rise out of you, just remember you are clicking on his content and buying his page views and wasting your time.

Richie may well have callen DR a Cnut, but apply the lens of skepticism.

DR also says his Australian cycling compadres have died from PEDs. Please shown me any evidence a cyclist in Aus has died from PEDs. Jobie Dajka and Gary Wiggins dont count.

And DR cos no doubt Durian will read this, an experienced and cogent watcher can determine the lies and disinformation when you have followed the sport, and yes, some of your shtick and $h!t is entertaining.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Ye I am also not convinced Richie did something wrong. I havent seen much of Durain Rider but he comes of as an ego tripping * from what I have seen. Wouldnt surprise me if he made it up, and I actually dont believe he let the wheel go "because" Richie asked him.
THIS^
 
Aye, no doubt DR uses clickbait very often, but I don't take him for a liar. The sensationalist titles are often just that, seldom having anything to do with the videos, so when he says Richie called him a **** and then reaffirms it I see no reason not to believe him. From experience that is. All in all I think he's an honest fellow, otherwise this is his magnum opus, the best act he's ever pulled. It's not like he makes that big a deal out of it either, seems like the kind of road rage he's used to receive. Heck, might have even enjoyed it. Dude swears all the time.

PS: It's not Maven in that video.
 
Jan 20, 2010
713
0
0
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
BigMac said:
Yeah, surprised by Richie myself when I saw that video. Team leadership must be getting to his head, durianrider and Cycling Maven rode up some Adelaide climbs with the Sky lads and they seemed cool with it, G even took some pictures. Porte seemed to be the only one bothered. Anyway, gotta love Harley, wish he posted more here.
hey, we did not hear DR talk to Richie or swear at DR.

and CM does not go uphill that quick, so dont know how he gets the go-pro on richie even when richie is on a training ride


When DR says someone has called him a Cnut, please apply a significant degree of skepticism. DR is just out for page views, this is his gig I think, the advertising and micro blogging. Everytime he calls someone a Cnut or someone calls him a Cnut to get a rise out of you, just remember you are clicking on his content and buying his page views and wasting your time.

Richie may well have callen DR a Cnut, but apply the lens of skepticism.

DR also says his Australian cycling compadres have died from PEDs. Please shown me any evidence a cyclist in Aus has died from PEDs. Jobie Dajka and Gary Wiggins dont count.

And DR cos no doubt Durian will read this, an experienced and cogent watcher can determine the lies and disinformation when you have followed the sport, and yes, some of your shtick and $h!t is entertaining.
Hopefully he pops in here and clarifies, I doubt he would release the audio even if it exists. Would burn a few bridges.

After I posted the link I went and watched a few of his clips. Bloody hell, I thought I had a potty mouth lol :eek:
(watch the Rogan UFC one)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY