• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
1. He's not the best climber in the world.

2. Do you honestly believe top 10 of your first GT is an insufficient base to become a good climber.

3. Look at the names of guys he was next to in that Giro. You would happily believe this level of performance from several of them.

I've done my bit to try and bring some reality back to your group think circle jerk, so please get back to your snide remarks and ignorance of the reality of that race.

Nope if Arroyo was doing this I'd bet you'd be calling out 'cheat'

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
1. He's not the best climber in the world.

2. Do you honestly believe top 10 of your first GT is an insufficient base to become a good climber.

3. Look at the names of guys he was next to in that Giro. You would happily believe this level of performance from several of them.

I've done my bit to try and bring some reality back to your group think circle jerk, so please get back to your snide remarks and ignorance of the reality of that race.

1 Ivan Basso (ITA) Liquigas-Doimo 87h 44' 01"
2 David Arroyo (ESP) Caisse d'Epargne + 1' 51"
3 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Doimo + 2' 37"
4 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Androni Giocattoli + 2' 50"
5 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 3' 27"
6 Alexander Vinokourov (KAZ) Astana + 7' 06"
7 Richie Porte (AUS) Team Saxo Bank + 7' 22"
8 Carlos Sastre (ESP) Cervélo TestTeam + 9' 39"
9 Marco Pinotti (ITA) Team HTC-Columbia + 14' 20"
10 Robert Kišerlovski (CRO) Liquigas-Doimo + 14' 51"
[edit]

Bolded: proven clinic material.

If Pinotti, Kiserlovski, Arroyo and Basso did what Porte is doing know I would not believe it. Sastre is retired, but he was never a frequent and dominating winner like Porte is proving himself to be.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
A quick plane flight on Saturday night, to be at the start line for Paris-Roubaix. Already got some $$$$$$$$ on him to win it.

El Pistolero said:
1 Ivan Basso (ITA) Liquigas-Doimo 87h 44' 01"
2 David Arroyo (ESP) Caisse d'Epargne + 1' 51"
3 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Doimo + 2' 37"
4 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Androni Giocattoli + 2' 50"
5 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 3' 27"
6 Alexander Vinokourov (KAZ) Astana + 7' 06"
7 Richie Porte (AUS) Team Saxo Bank + 7' 22"
8 Carlos Sastre (ESP) Cervélo TestTeam + 9' 39"
9 Marco Pinotti (ITA) Team HTC-Columbia + 14' 20"
10 Robert Kišerlovski (CRO) Liquigas-Doimo + 14' 51"
[edit]

Bolded: proven clinic material.

If Pinotti, Kiserlovski, Arroyo and Basso did what Porte is doing know I would not believe it. Sastre is retired, but he was never a frequent and dominating winner like Porte is proving himself to be.

What's wrong with you?..... basso is clean

On topic.

I like the "tassie tree hugger"(as galic ho called him)..he is a great advert for the sport and that changing team can work wonder. He is going on my avatar. He is like a fresh of breath air.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
You can remove the breakaway and he's still top 10. Obviously, that doesn't fit the narrative so we've all forgotten.

Your ignoring the fact that potential top 10 riders aren't going to chase those positions when they are 10 minutes down.
They instead go for stage wins brekaways, domestique roles etc.

so the breakaway limits the top positions to those who made it and a handful of gc riders. To simply take away the 12 minutes from each rider who was in the break and assume that's what the final gc would look like is silly.

It also ignores the fact that riders like porte wouldn't have an entire team behind him pacing him stage after stage.

The Hitch said:
The sky fans said all he does was time trial his way up long steady climbs. But last few days we've seen him handle short explosive hills with tremendous ease.

Sky team for lbl - Wiggins (on top giro form) Porte, froome, henao, uran, kiri, presumably jtl and one other. When was the last time we saw a team this strong in the ardennes. More than half the team can realistically win this and kiriyenka is better than most teams leader and almost all teams second leader

LBL: Sky 1-2-3-4-5

Clinic explodes. :D

Geraint Too Fast said:
Look at how that tiny Columbian climber can't catch him on a flat bit of road! _O_
Here we go again, BUSTED!

Repeat after me.
299845_511220392257103_1574394739_n.jpg

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You should know the name of the country by now.

anyway how comes Porte is still on his pn peak while talansky has long lost it?
I think we saw last year that Sky peak differently to other teams.

Speaking of that imagine if JTL was riding like he was last year, that would be quite funny.. He still has time to win LBL though, lets not discount him just yet.

cineteq said:
Of all riders, the physique he resembles the most is Armstrong's, bar none!

he doesn't resemble armstrong at all to me
same physique and style as berzin who of course was 1000x more stylish

and yes, can you imagine what kind of line up will sky have for LBL?:cool::eek:

but with astana and europcar, we shouldn't be afraid. there won't be annihilation

Columbia is 100% acceptable and correct in British english.

When French people refer to Angleterre it is not a mis-spelling.

Similarly, using a u follows the correct English derivation of the relevant individual's surname.

How upsetting several people around here find this fact is a source of some amusement.

Porte is an awesome athelete. He was very good in the triathlon and went to the road when he turned 21. So its logical he had more room (at a later age) for improvement then someone who has been cycling since he was 12.

He started winning in Australia pretty quickly on the road and was dominating in Australia in 2008/2009.

In 2010 when he joined Saxobank he already was a top time trialist (4th on the WC, won 1 in Romandia and had good results in the Giro TTs, and the Eneco Tour TTs, Denmark). Its also common and logical for thriathletes who become (good) cycylists that they have the ITT as their main thing on the road.

He also showed good potential in climbing, for example in the Giro (as a NEO pro who didnt ride his bike full time for that long). + you need to learn how to climb by doing it a lot which he had not done much untill that time. So his Giro performance in 2010 already was exceptional.
However he didnt really focus on climbing untill after the Giro and especially since he joined SKY in 2012. So its logical he still had/has steps to make uphill.

Point of the story he is a massive talent and always has been.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Columbia is 100% acceptable and correct in British english.

When French people refer to Angleterre it is not a mis-spelling.

Similarly, using a u follows the correct English derivation of the relevant individual's surname.

How upsetting several people around here find this fact is a source of some amusement.

His name is Cristoforo Colombo.

The Hitch said:
anyway how comes Porte is still on his pn peak while talansky has long lost it?

Don't misunderstand me. Porte has had many 'hard-to-explain' performances since he joined Sky, but the last 2km of today's stage (i.e. the reason for this thread) is not near the top of that list. That's the point I was trying to make.

Geraint Too Fast said:
Don't misunderstand me. Porte has had many 'hard-to-explain' performances since he joined Sky, but the last 2km of today's stage (i.e. the reason for this thread) is not near the top of that list. That's the point I was trying to make.
Today's top for me. He looked like he was playing with the field. In fact, he's looked like he's been holding back at 80% during the entire week.

TRENDING THREADS