Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

  • He will only manage the double

    Votes: 8 100.0%

  • Total voters
    8

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
864
0
0
BYOP88 said:
Exactly! Now run along and watch your blu-ray of Andy and Frank 'Whinging, crying and getting busted the Schleck way'.
I'm already watching. What do you think what kind of fan I am?
 
May 26, 2009
4,114
0
0
serfla said:
I'm already watching. What do you think what kind of fan I am?
Wasn't sure to be honest. I now know, you take it as seriously as the Schlecks do bike racing. Chapeau!
 
May 9, 2012
750
0
0
Carols said:
No Vote....these choices are as stupid as the JTL poll :)
It's almost as if they are not meant to be taken seriously. But with Sky something absurd can quickly become the reality.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Just wonder could Porte get itchy feet as I was reading recently his contract is up at the end of the year. Obviously the vultures would be out to poach him where he would surely get the promise of a more prominent leadership role for the Tour and other GTs in the future. It might be said that it's cut and dry and he's more likely to sign and stay at Sky but I think he should be careful in his next decision right here. If he was to sign a new 2/3 year deal, you can be sure that Sky would have him tied to a huge contract and one where other teams would find it impossible to buy him out earlier from. He obviously would have to get assurances as Sky will obviously point to Wiggins hitting his latter years but still Froome is of the same age as him. So Porte mightn't have the main leadership going into a Tour even in his 30's as a contract extension would take him into.

Nonetheless he does seem happy and has spoken of wanting to lead the Giro next year and also went on to say he didn't think he would win a race like P-N if he stayed at Saxo but if I was him in the circumstances I would be a bit more cautious in committing his future to Sky just yet.
 
Mar 17, 2012
1,069
0
0
gooner said:
Just wonder could Porte get itchy feet as I was reading recently his contract is up at the end of the year. Obviously the vultures would be out to poach him where he would surely get the promise of a more prominent leadership role for the Tour and other GTs in the future. It might be said that it's cut and dry and he's more likely to sign and stay at Sky but I think he should be careful in his next decision right here. If he was to sign a new 2/3 year deal, you can be sure that Sky would have him tied to a huge contract and one where other teams would find it impossible to buy him out earlier from. He obviously would have to get assurances as Sky will obviously point to Wiggins hitting his latter years but still Froome is of the same age as him. So Porte mightn't have the main leadership going into a Tour even in his 30's as a contract extension would take him into.

Nonetheless he does seem happy and has spoken of wanting to lead the Giro next year and also went on to say he didn't think he would win a race like P-N if he stayed at Saxo but if I was him in the circumstances I would be a bit more cautious in committing his future to Sky just yet.
At Sky, he´s 10% better than anywhere else, so i guess he´ll stay. It´s like riding for US Postal, or CSC, these teams´s systems just work superior.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
gooner said:
Just wonder could Porte get itchy feet as I was reading recently his contract is up at the end of the year. Obviously the vultures would be out to poach him where he would surely get the promise of a more prominent leadership role for the Tour and other GTs in the future. It might be said that it's cut and dry and he's more likely to sign and stay at Sky but I think he should be careful in his next decision right here. If he was to sign a new 2/3 year deal, you can be sure that Sky would have him tied to a huge contract and one where other teams would find it impossible to buy him out earlier from. He obviously would have to get assurances as Sky will obviously point to Wiggins hitting his latter years but still Froome is of the same age as him. So Porte mightn't have the main leadership going into a Tour even in his 30's as a contract extension would take him into.

Nonetheless he does seem happy and has spoken of wanting to lead the Giro next year and also went on to say he didn't think he would win a race like P-N if he stayed at Saxo but if I was him in the circumstances I would be a bit more cautious in committing his future to Sky just yet.
I don't think Porte will be stupid enough to leave SKY. He has been just a OK before sky and none of team that he was in can turn him into what he is now. So he'll stick with sky. Ow, hell.. he'll swallow whatever sky contract is. Because he knows with sky he can can win GT. What does it mean to lead, if you can't win GT? At least with sky, wiggin is going to ride to the sunset, and with Porte's performance and his age, he will most likely be second leader in the future besides Froome. And the same goes to Henao, Uran, JTL. You'll be NO ONE when you leave sky. (ask Mic rogers). We have seen in front of our eyes, how they are turned into "TOP CLASS" riders once they are in SKY.
 
gooner said:
Just wonder could Porte get itchy feet as I was reading recently his contract is up at the end of the year. Obviously the vultures would be out to poach him where he would surely get the promise of a more prominent leadership role for the Tour and other GTs in the future. It might be said that it's cut and dry and he's more likely to sign and stay at Sky but I think he should be careful in his next decision right here. If he was to sign a new 2/3 year deal, you can be sure that Sky would have him tied to a huge contract and one where other teams would find it impossible to buy him out earlier from. He obviously would have to get assurances as Sky will obviously point to Wiggins hitting his latter years but still Froome is of the same age as him. So Porte mightn't have the main leadership going into a Tour even in his 30's as a contract extension would take him into.

Nonetheless he does seem happy and has spoken of wanting to lead the Giro next year and also went on to say he didn't think he would win a race like P-N if he stayed at Saxo but if I was him in the circumstances I would be a bit more cautious in committing his future to Sky just yet.
The dark horse option is to go to oge where they set up Auspostal. In backup Cameron Meyer cos like Richie he always had gt potential. Can probably find some example of him staying on menchoffs wheel for 5.minutes which constitutes gt winning talent

2014 Porte Meyer vs froome Wiggins.cos y'all said 1 team dominating was boring.
 
Oct 30, 2011
2,642
0
0
The Hitch said:
The sky fans said all he does was time trial his way up long steady climbs. But last few days we've seen him handle short explosive hills with tremendous ease.

Sky team for lbl - Wiggins (on top giro form) Porte, froome, henao, uran, kiri, presumably jtl and one other. When was the last time we saw a team this who train this hard in the ardennes. More than half the team can realistically win this and kiriyenka is better than most teams leader and almost all teams second leader
Fixed for you.
 
May 22, 2010
440
0
0
i've noticed that riders who have stellar years of form, often don't repeat it the next. it's funny how people are assuming Porte will do as well next year. i kind of hope he does, but wouldn't bank on it.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Jelantik said:
I don't think Porte will be stupid enough to leave SKY. He has been just a OK before sky and none of team that he was in can turn him into what he is now. So he'll stick with sky. Ow, hell.. he'll swallow whatever sky contract is. Because he knows with sky he can can win GT. What does it mean to lead, if you can't win GT? At least with sky, wiggin is going to ride to the sunset, and with Porte's performance and his age, he will most likely be second leader in the future besides Froome. And the same goes to Henao, Uran, JTL. You'll be NO ONE when you leave sky. (ask Mic rogers). We have seen in front of our eyes, how they are turned into "TOP CLASS" riders once they are in SKY.
Well I'm not the only the one to think along those lines. Gerrans said something similar about Porte needing to make a big decision regarding his future after his P-N win. I disagree about Henao. Ever before this dominance of Sky started off he was talked about here as a top talent so I think it's safe to say he would of lived up to his billing if he signed for any of the other top teams. Just look at Quintana who isn't at Sky. That's why I think if Henao left for someone like Lampre or Cannondale at the end of his contract he would still perform to level he's currently doing and probably even better especially for the GTs with more freedom.
 
Sooner or later GreenEdge will buy a grand tour contender especially if they are going to rely on Goss to get results in classics. But then they will need more cash and have to buy some better climbers for support. Couple of the veterans like O'Grady are retiring soon. Their younger riders have not kicked on and showed improvement in their stage racing results yet. Porte will probably stay at Sky for the moment but if Froome wins the Tour I think he will leave unless he and Wiggins can live with each other competing for the same goals which always seems to cause complications. If Wiggins wins the Giro and Froome wins the Tour Wiggins will target the Vuelta next year as he seems to want to win all three but the Tour could get complicated if they are still both at Sky in 2014.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
movingtarget said:
Sooner or later GreenEdge will buy a grand tour contender especially if they are going to rely on Goss to get results in classics. But then they will need more cash and have to buy some better climbers for support. Couple of the veterans like O'Grady are retiring soon. Their younger riders have not kicked on and showed improvement in their stage racing results yet. Porte will probably stay at Sky for the moment but if Froome wins the Tour I think he will leave unless he and Wiggins can live with each other competing for the same goals which always seems to cause complications. If Wiggins wins the Giro and Froome wins the Tour Wiggins will target the Vuelta next year as he seems to want to win all three but the Tour could get complicated if they are still both at Sky in 2014.
I really don't see Porte or Froome will leave. For Porte, he is 'something' now since he is in Sky. So that means whatever program Sky had on him, it works! Same with Froome. He'll be no one if he moves to other team. Are you crazy? You got some no name rider and then.. "puff" turn into top domestique to drag you around in an arm chair around the mountain. They can even make Wiggin won the TDF despite Froome was a stronger climber. So they can make anyone to win anything. Porte was never reached his potential at saxo before. Well .. forward one year. Look where he is now. What a transformation. I would be stupid, to move to other team regardless.
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,819
0
0
Porte already said he wants to lead Sky at Giro 2014, so his contract is definitely on till end of 2014.

Wiggins I guess might retire in 2014 so that'd leave one free GT option anyway.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
gooner said:
Well I'm not the only the one to think along those lines. Gerrans said something similar about Porte needing to make a big decision regarding his future after his P-N win. I disagree about Henao. Ever before this dominance of Sky started off he was talked about here as a top talent so I think it's safe to say he would of lived up to his billing if he signed for any of the other top teams. Just look at Quintana who isn't at Sky. That's why I think if Henao left for someone like Lampre or Cannondale at the end of his contract he would still perform to level he's currently doing and probably even better especially for the GTs with more freedom.
well consider the possibility too though. Sky might have already had an eye on him :D. And Quintana quite possibly will sign with Sky too. He saw how his compadre Henao turned into superman. You don't think that Quintana won't be wondering .. maybe I'll be able to reach my full potential with sky team? Besides, he won't be the only speaking spanish rider in the team. Having Henao, Uran, that should make the transition easier for him. I'm bet moviestar would frantically up his contract significantly to make sure he stays.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Gloin22 said:
Porte already said he wants to lead Sky at Giro 2014, so his contract is definitely on till end of 2014.

Wiggins I guess might retire in 2014 so that'd leave one free GT option anyway.
His contract is up at the end of the year.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/analysis/portes-paris-nice-win-could-open-doors-for-gc-future-in-2014_277903

Jelantik said:
well consider the possibility too though. Sky might have already had an eye on him :D. And Quintana quite possibly will sign with Sky too. He saw how his compadre Henao turned into superman. You don't think that Quintana won't be wondering .. maybe I'll be able to reach my full potential with sky team? Besides, he won't be the only speaking spanish rider in the team. Having Henao, Uran, that should make the transition easier for him. I'm bet moviestar would frantically up his contract significantly to make sure he stays.
And why would Quintana leave when he will have no problem in ousting Valverde for leadership in future GTs? The same cannot be said for Porte though.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY