• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Angliru said:
spanky wanderlust said:
if porte quits this giro i will place myself solidly in the 'sky hater' camp. it's pathetic to even mention that he might quit. it shows a real disrespect for the peloton, the race and the sport.

He has nothing to ride for especially if his knee and hip are as much of a hindrance to his performance as the itt implies. As far his also doing the Vuelta for the gc after the Tour, I think that would be recipe for disaster. He still has yet to show that he has the constitution for successfully competing for the gc in a grand tour over the entire 3 weeks. Two weeks of the Giro, the 3 weeks of the Tour and the Vuelta after a fairly busy scheduler prior to his Giro? He likely would fall apart completely at the Vuelta.

Even Sky are not that silly. Only Adam Hansen can handle three GTs per year. They will freshen him for the Tour which will not be what Froome's rivals will want if he rides like he did in the 2013 Tour. Froome always looks better with Porte riding in front of him. The Giro has been pretty entertaining although only some misfortune will stop Contador now but I think the Tour is going to be even better if Nibali, Froome and Quintana can mount some sort of challenge to Contador.

May 24, 2015
Visit site

darwin553 said:
Velolover2 said:
Being mentally broken is almost worse than being physically damaged.

Because your body will always say stop before your mind.

I disagree. Porte has made the strategic decision to focus on the tour and therefore, has decided to not put in as much effort in this TT as he knew his chances of winning the Giro were shot once the 2 min penalty had been applied. No point expending all this energy trying to get on the podium when he can serve Froome at the Tour and possibly save some further energy for the Vuelta.

What a role model for kids - sorry, not going to be able to win, so just give up trying and worry about next week. For all we know AC or Aru could crash on a descent next week and be out of the race.
If he's injured, fair enough, but to just quit shows no courage or respect to the race or its fans IMHO.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
He has had a good season with lots of victories. No point to continue now he has lost his chances for GC. Better to concentrate to help Froome to win The Tour.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Jancouver said:
No_Balls said:

No surprise.

Once a quitter, always a quitter ...
Once a (GT) loser, always a (GT) loser ...

That boy has no heart ... :cool:

Exactly!

Look at Contador in 2011 Tour, Valverde in 2013 Tour, lost chances but ride like a champions till the end

Re:

Velolover2 said:
"can serve Froome at the Tour and possibly save some further energy for the Vuelta."

Comments like that are nuts.

You can't just have a heavy early schedule, then Giro, then Tour, then Vuelta. It's not how it works. Give this man a chance to rest. He should only do the Tour and then call it a season. A great season no matter of the outcome of the Giro and Tour.

Exactly. It has been a great season no matter what.

I hope that he starts stage 15 and sees how he feels. If he could recover his form a little and fight hard enough to sneak into the top ten at race end, that would be an excellent outcome from here. Otherwise, if he can't even hang on to the top climbers on this MTF, pull out.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Tim B said:
darwin553 said:
Velolover2 said:

I disagree. Porte has made the strategic decision to focus on the tour and therefore, has decided to not put in as much effort in this TT as he knew his chances of winning the Giro were shot once the 2 min penalty had been applied. No point expending all this energy trying to get on the podium when he can serve Froome at the Tour and possibly save some further energy for the Vuelta.

What a role model for kids - sorry, not going to be able to win, so just give up trying and worry about next week. For all we know AC or Aru could crash on a descent next week and be out of the race.
If he's injured, fair enough, but to just quit shows no courage or respect to the race or its fans IMHO.

I can't fault him if he is either a team player (by pulling out to focus on the tour to help Froome) or is all about the glory (win or nothing). Who looks back on a career and say that their best result was a 3rd in the Giro?

For those saying Richie's day is done at 30, you have absolutely no idea. Richie Porte is a more nature GT rider than Cadel and he won the tour when he was 35. Still plenty of time for Porte, especially with the uncertainty that the world of cycling brings.

I think Porte should stay at the Giro but not ride hardso can save himself for Tour ...team should support Viviani & Konig
If Porte loses enough time (maybe already) he could go for a stage win
It is possible SKY couldwin a few more stages if they get their act together

As for the Vuelta ....Froome may ride this as leader ...he has not ruled it out ...esp if he doesn't win the Tour...but even then as may want to do as well as Bert with a double
If not there are others wanting a chance at GC inc Henao ,Poels & Roche

darwin553 said:
Tim B said:
darwin553 said:
Velolover2 said:

I can't fault him if he is either a team player (by pulling out to focus on the tour to help Froome) or is all about the glory (win or nothing). Who looks back on a career and say that their best result was a 3rd in the Giro?

For those saying Richie's day is done at 30, you have absolutely no idea. Richie Porte is a more nature GT rider than Cadel and he won the tour when he was 35. Still plenty of time for Porte, especially with the uncertainty that the world of cycling brings.

You do realise that if he pulls out in order to save himself for Froome we are dealing with a loser in mind? You cant have it both ways. He wont suddenly become a winner when he is 31, 32 or 35 then.

Then it does of course sound better with "team player" but its quite obvious Porte lacks that competitive edge that defines a champion.

What an embarresment this Giro has been (and will be) for his image. First this unproven champ gets leadership status to show what he is made off, then he isolate himself from the rest of the team in a exclusive campervan like a first class primadonna and then declares to the world he thinks about abandon the race when running into a little trouble.

They will think twice giving Porte leadership status again in a GT.

Velolover2 said:
IndianCyclist said:
He finished behind Viviani in the TT. Clearly he has lost the plot. Doubtful that he will be even able to help Konig. Better to go home & rest than risk further injury by crashing(given his luck will happen). Going to the tour is his fixation.Skip the tour and prepare for the Vuelta GC.
The Vuelta doesn't suit him the same way the Giro did. Too many short, steep hill top finishes. And you're not just riding two GTs as a leader. He got this chance as a leader of the Giro, but he lost it.

It's better than he take some rest (I'd say no stage racing before TDF) and try to win the Tour with Froome instead.
If Wiggins can come 3rd, Porte can also finish on the podium. Going to the tour with Froome means means no ambitions for self(Or secretly hoping Froome would crash like last time). Vuelta is a better option. He is probably the best GT domestique no arguments there. But he needs to prove especially to himself that he can do a GT properly.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

darwin553 said:
Tim B said:
darwin553 said:
Velolover2 said:

Oh yeah, he's quite natural alright :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Being the best domestique in SKY does not necessarily make you the best bet for GC in a GT
It amazes me how people think because you can climb & TT you can lead and win a GT....

Climbing and TTing are 2 out of the 3 attributes you need to do well in GTs. Porte was really unlucky this Giro. Depending on what exactly caused him to have such a poor time trial, he might still be a terrific time triallist. I mean, why are people praising Aru so much? Up to the TT, Aru was weaker than Porte.

IndianCyclist said:
Highlander said:
He has been dropped early today, so if he can't even help his teammates, what good is he?
Crazy why is he even trying. Obviously he is finito.Rest up man.
If ur injured, no matter what the mental strength, its better to retreat and live to fight another day.

I was expected him to retire even before the ITT.I don't see any reasons to continue this Giro and today stage proves it,he's done.He should just give up and prepare for TDF.

TRENDING THREADS