• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Gosh I can hardly believe this. So happy for Richie, thoroughly deserved after all his bad luck and problems over the years.

Congratulations to him he must be in such a good place also with the birth of his first child very recently. Congrats to Trek for investing in Richie too they deserve kudos.

But after today some will wonder what might have been in previous years. I honestly think he was stronger in 2017 when he crashed out.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Posted years ago that if the stars aligned Porte could podium a GT - Actually the COVID break helped his performance with him having less racing days.
This. You are so right. I still think he was at least similar level when he fell off in 2017. But what struck me this year was he seemed very relaxed. He had a great frame of mind and felt no pressure and look what happened!

Reactions: movingtarget
I'm actually glad that Porte is going to podium. I'm shocked.

I don't know why anyone should be shocked. Surprised maybe but not shocked.

I can understand people's views on Porte if they don't follow him very closely. I'd probably have a similar view. But those of us who did follow him closely knew today's and this Tour's performance was within his capability.

A few doubts that have been answered:

Good on short climbs but not long climbs: Answered many times since 2013.
Can't last three weeks: Answered in 2016 TdF
Always has a bad day: Answered in 2016 TdF
Lacks mental confidence: Answered in 2020

For sure as others have posted in recent days the difference this time is between the ears. Physically he was always capable. If he had this level at 35 years of age then of course he was even more capable when he was a little younger. I don't think he felt much pressure this year.

Covid was a blessing in disguise but really what we saw today should show that people were right to rate him a genuine threat in 2017 when he crashed on Mont du chat. Probably 2018 too when he stuffed up again.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone should be shocked. Surprised maybe but not shocked.

I can understand people's views on Porte if they don't follow him very closely. I'd probably have a similar view. But those of us who did follow him closely knew today's and this Tour's performance was within his capability.
No, I mean, I'm shocked that I'm glad.

Gosh I can hardly believe this. So happy for Richie, thoroughly deserved after all his bad luck and problems over the years.

Congratulations to him he must be in such a good place also with the birth of his first child very recently. Congrats to Trek for investing in Richie too they deserve kudos.

But after today some will wonder what might have been in previous years. I honestly think he was stronger in 2017 when he crashed out.
Second child I think. Cadel was also on SBS yesterday with a new child. Seems very happy. Had some interesting things to say about the race and TT preparation. Good to see he contacted Richie to wish him luck before the TT.

Reactions: Cookster15

TRENDING THREADS