• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
As Bob Dylan famously sang "Things have changed." Will we see Egan as a super-dom for Richie at the 2021 Tour?:oops:

Not surprisingly, Richie has confirmed that this third place (fantastic) achievement is pretty much career defining for him. Personally I have long felt that at his best he is at least the equal of Cadel as a climber, so it is wonderful that he has now been able to put it all together for this podium result.

He says that he doesn't want the stress anymore with GT leadership, which is fair enough. But I think that in time, he may feel that this podium result actually takes some of that pressure off. For me, if he goes to Inneos next season, then he should do his job, and ride solely as domestique for Egan at the Tour. But what I hope for is this: That after having gotten to soft pedal through some of those three weeks, that he then goes to the Vuelta as at least a co-leader. Though that idea is still dependant on him having strong enough legs at 36 years of age. Still, the Vuelta generally has lower level of competition, and most definitely less pressure.

The way I see it, when both on their primes I'd rate Porte as being a better climber than Evans, though worse in descending and TT.
Porte is more of a natural climber than Evans though they both like the big gears but in every other way Evans was superior and had the results to show for it. Evan's bike handling was top class and he made the most of his ability while riders like Andy Schleck probably didn't. Evans was also quite a good sprinter on his day and one of the better sprinters of the GC riders. Valverde of course was a class above. Evans climbing is probably more in the mould of a Basso or Menchov, diesel climbers, but what he lacked in flair he made up for often with his grit.

"You miss the birth of your child, you are there to fight," he said.
"It sort of played on my mind."

Porte's wife, Gemma, was quoted earlier in the Tour as saying to her husband: "Go do it, but I don't want to see you loafing at the back of the peloton."

"My wife is from Manchester. They breed them pretty tough there," he said.

"You don't mess with the boss, and obviously a decision like that is a pretty big deal and we had a good conversation.

"I will have to live with it for the rest of my life — I won't have the photo of me at the birth when she first arrived, but the one I will have on the wall is on the podium in Paris.
"She will forgive me making that decision."

Love it.

Porte will aim to win a stage at the TDF and support Mollema.
Sorry for dragging this up but I couldn't help but remember this when reading the latest posts. Nice when a rider you follow proves his doubters wrong about his ability. I think you also claimed he would only be good for lower end of the top 10?

As for the worlds I think he should be in great form. The worlds are timed after this years Tour similar to the normal timing after the Vuelta. So riders with good GC form at the Tour should be in good form for a tough worlds course. Porte has never targeted one day races so I am not sure we can say he isn't a good pick.

Porte is more of a natural climber than Evans

I agree, in the latter half of his career but I don't think it started out that way? Porte burst on the scene at the 2010 Giro. In that race he steadily leaked time on all the high mountain stages and his 7th placing was primarily thanks to his breakaway with David Arroyo and co to L'Aquila. He was initially more notable as a strong time trialist who could also climb a bit. But it was since moving to Sky that his climbing ability became truly notable, especially the 2013 TdF when LRP was towing Froome up mountains and seeing confirmed GC men being dropped.

I agree, in the latter half of his career but I don't think it started out that way? Porte burst on the scene at the 2010 Giro. In that race he steadily leaked time on all the high mountain stages and his 7th placing was primarily thanks to his breakaway with David Arroyo and co to L'Aquila. He was initially more notable as a strong time trialist who could also climb a bit. But it was since moving to Sky that his climbing ability became truly notable, especially the 2013 TdF when LRP was towing Froome up mountains and seeing confirmed GC men being dropped.
Yes t I was probably talking more about their style as climbers although both of them were easy to spot in the mountains cause they were often the only two constantly riding out the seat and riding bigger gears. Even Quintana and Lopez don't ride out the seat as much. One thing I noticed about Evans when he won the Tour in 2011 was that he spent more time in the seat than usual riding lower gears than usual. Maybe they wanted him to save his legs more for the final week. If so it was good advice ! Basso also a diesel climber usually like to remain seated and grind away like Menchov. It was amazing watching Porte just splitting the front group of climbers to pieces in 2015 and disappearing up the road with Froome. Even Contador couldn't hold his wheel. I still think Porte's best years were 2015-2018 but even at 35 he showed what might have been when he could stay upright and out of trouble. As it turned out with the final time gaps, the time he dropped in the crosswinds made no difference to his final podium place, so he should be happier about that unlike Evans puncture in the 2009 Vuelta that cost him at least second place.

Yes t I was probably talking more about their style as climbers although both of them were easy to spot in the mountains cause they were often the only two constantly riding out the seat and riding bigger gears. Even Quintana and Lopez don't ride out the seat as much. One thing I noticed about Evans when he won the Tour in 2011 was that he spent more time in the seat than usual riding lower gears than usual. Maybe they wanted him to save his legs more for the final week. If so it was good advice ! Basso also a diesel climber usually like to remain seated and grind away like Menchov. It was amazing watching Porte just splitting the front group of climbers to pieces in 2015 and disappearing up the road with Froome. Even Contador couldn't hold his wheel. I still think Porte's best years were 2015-2018 but even at 35 he showed what might have been when he could stay upright and out of trouble. As it turned out with the final time gaps, the time he dropped in the crosswinds made no difference to his final podium place, so he should be happier about that unlike Evans puncture in the 2009 Vuelta that cost him at least second place.

Good post. Agree. Yes in 2011 Evans was obviously more relaxed and I remember how easily he was climbing on the first high mountain stage 12 to Luz Ardiden. Not hesitating to come to the front to minimize time loss to Frank. Richie seemed similarly relaxed this time when interviewed. Cadel looked more labored chasing Andy with no help on the Galibier but the wide angled camera showed he was really flying up that mountain with an ever dwindling group trying to stay in his slipstream.

Goes to show how a relaxed mind goes a long way to maximizing your performances in the saddle.

With Porte's history I also agree. I posted elsewhere during the Tour I think Porte was in better form in 2017 as BMC captain when he fell off descending Mont Du Chat,. But in 2015 Tdf I will never forget seeing Porte drop his captain Chris Froome on the second ascent of the Alpe with Quintana desperately trying to hold his wheel. He and Poels saved Froome's Tour win that afternoon. Yes Cadels' puncture in 2009 Vuelta a shame but the form he built was key to him becoming world champion.

Sorry for dragging this up but I couldn't help but remember this when reading the latest posts. Nice when a rider you follow proves his doubters wrong about his ability. I think you also claimed he would only be good for lower end of the top 10?

As for the worlds I think he should be in great form. The worlds are timed after this years Tour similar to the normal timing after the Vuelta. So riders with good GC form at the Tour should be in good form for a tough worlds course. Porte has never targeted one day races so I am not sure we can say he isn't a good pick.
His one day racing record is really, really, really dire though.

I'll do a nude lap around Buckingham Palace if Richie wins a rainbow jersey!

For Aust, Matthews is definitely the pick. Got the form, got the one day pedigree, got the WC pedigree.....

For Aust, Matthews is definitely the pick. Got the form, got the one day pedigree, got the WC pedigree.....
Very funny, we will remember :D. With Porte and worlds I am more talking about his worthiness in the team rather than winning, I agree that is very very unlikely. But he's been valuable at Sky in he past so he knows how to ride as a strong domestique albeit in stage racing rather than a one day race. Will be interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Porte fell off his bike at the 2016 Olympics - He has no pedigree in one-day racing and his form drops off after the TDF - I am more interested in why Haig and Hamilton were pulled from the squad.

Good post. Agree. Yes in 2011 Evans was obviously more relaxed and I remember how easily he was climbing on the first high mountain stage 12 to Luz Ardiden. Not hesitating to come to the front to minimize time loss to Frank. Richie seemed similarly relaxed this time when interviewed. Cadel looked more labored chasing Andy with no help on the Galibier but the wide angled camera showed he was really flying up that mountain with an ever dwindling group trying to stay in his slipstream.

Goes to show how a relaxed mind goes a long way to maximizing your performances in the saddle.

With Porte's history I also agree. I posted elsewhere during the Tour I think Porte was in better form in 2017 as BMC captain when he fell off descending Mont Du Chat,. But in 2015 Tdf I will never forget seeing Porte drop his captain Chris Froome on the second ascent of the Alpe with Quintana desperately trying to hold his wheel. He and Poels saved Froome's Tour win that afternoon. Yes Cadels' puncture in 2009 Vuelta a shame but the form he built was key to him becoming world champion.

2016 was the year for Porte - Between the team riding on when he had a mechanical causing him to lose nearly 2 minutes, to his attack on Ventoux with Froome and Mollema when the motorbike intervened which cost him a minute + which then caused him to work too much in the third week which affected his final ITT - He should have finished 2nd in that TDF - Finally, Ewan has publically claimed that neither Porte or Mollema got the full support of the team during the crosswinds stage at the 2020 TDF when support riders went up the road - In saying that, not much can help Porte in coss winds.

2016 was the year for Porte - Between the team riding on when he had a mechanical causing him to lose nearly 2 minutes, to his attack on Ventoux with Froome and Mollema when the motorbike intervened which cost him a minute + which then caused him to work too much in the third week which affected his final ITT - He should have finished 2nd in that TDF - Finally, Ewan has publically claimed that neither Porte or Mollema got the full support of the team during the crosswinds stage at the 2020 TDF when support riders went up the road - In saying that, not much can help Porte in coss winds.
2016 no doubt should have been a podium but going into the Tour I was more disappointed about 2017 as Porte seemed in better form and the descent he crashed on he had already ridden in the Dauphine so he knew what to expect. All he needed to do was to sit off the back like he did in the Dauphine and catch them at the bottom but he tried to follow wheels with better descenders and messed up on the bend.

2016 no doubt should have been a podium but going into the Tour I was more disappointed about 2017 as Porte seemed in better form and the descent he crashed on he had already ridden in the Dauphine so he knew what to expect. All he needed to do was to sit off the back like he did in the Dauphine and catch them at the bottom but he tried to follow wheels with better descenders and messed up on the bend.
Honestly, in 2017 he hadn't really tried anything on the mountain stage that suited him the most (La Planche des Belles Filles), when people actually expected him to be at his best. Looking at the way he had been flying on the climbs from Down Under until the Dauphine he would have faded at least as badly as Aru, probably even more.

Reactions: Sandisfan

You're just lucky the race doesn't end on a climb called Willunga..........yes Richie's one day form apart from some good rides at the Australian National Titles is nothing to write home about. Has Matthews been doing much racing lately ? Still he should be a good ally for Matthews on the climbs until late into the race I hope. The original 2020 worlds course was a much better one for Richie.

Honestly, in 2017 he hadn't really tried anything on the mountain stage that suited him the most (La Planche des Belles Filles), when people actually expected him to be at his best. Looking at the way he had been flying on the climbs from Down Under until the Dauphine he would have faded at least as badly as Aru, probably even more.
You have a better memory than me but Froome wasn't particularly good in 2017, Good enough to win of course but maybe you are right and Porte was peaking too early. I still would have liked to see him at least complete the race and see how he was in the third week. This year some people think the lack of racing helped him in the Tour but being more relaxed and avoiding falls and other problems also helps. One badly timed puncture for Porte plus a time loss in the crosswinds was still much better than his usual luck !

You're just lucky the race doesn't end on a climb called Willunga..........yes Richie's one day form apart from some good rides at the Australian National Titles is nothing to write home about. Has Matthews been doing much racing lately ? Still he should be a good ally for Matthews on the climbs until late into the race I hope. The original 2020 worlds course was a much better one for Richie.

It's interesting how Haig and Hamilton are last minute withdrawals from the World's and replaced by another Mitchelton rider in Schultz- Mitchelton like their riders to ride at the world's, even though both are riding the Giro - Is their dissension in the ranks ? We know there is no love lost between Ritchie and Mitchelton - I suspect the course may be a touch hard for Matthews but you can only hope - Simon Clarke can do well on this course if in top form.

Porte fell off his bike at the 2016 Olympics - He has no pedigree in one-day racing and his form drops off after the TDF - I am more interested in why Haig and Hamilton were pulled from the squad.
How do you know his form will fall off after the TDF? You don't. Seems obvious to me his form was rising all the way through the TdF. As a few others posted earlier in the Tour, Covid was a blessing in disguise for Porte. It prevented him from over racing so he arrived at the Tour in near perfect shape and peak for the 3rd week which he obviously did - at 35.

I am not sure of the form of Haig and Hamilton but you cannot question the form of Porte right now. I think Richie can be a great asset to Australia at the worlds. I agree its very doubtful he could win but he will be a valuable teammate for the likes of Matthews if Bling is strong enough to survive the course.

I really don’t think Porte’s record in one day races is very relevant to how he will go in the Worlds this time. There are very few one day races in his life where he has been in form, with a suitable profile and he hasn’t fallen off.

If they come to the climb on the final lap in one group then he will be one of the strongest.

I’m not saying he a strong chance of winning (he’d need to win solo, as I don’t see him outsprinting anyone at all) but he’s better than the 375-1 odds I am happy to have backed him at.

I really don’t think Porte’s record in one day races is very relevant to how he will go in the Worlds this time. There are very few one day races in his life where he has been in form, with a suitable profile and he hasn’t fallen off.

If they come to the climb on the final lap in one group then he will be one of the strongest.

I’m not saying he a strong chance of winning (he’d need to win solo, as I don’t see him outsprinting anyone at all) but he’s better than the 375-1 odds I am happy to have backed him at.
If he has the legs and in a group he can attack before the descent and hope they wait to bring him back.

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson
It's interesting how Haig and Hamilton are last minute withdrawals from the World's and replaced by another Mitchelton rider in Schultz- Mitchelton like their riders to ride at the world's, even though both are riding the Giro - Is their dissension in the ranks ? We know there is no love lost between Ritchie and Mitchelton - I suspect the course may be a touch hard for Matthews but you can only hope - Simon Clarke can do well on this course if in top form.
Didn't know that. There are often last minute changes in the Australian squad for some reason, maybe sometimes changes in form and also team politics.

Simon Clarke can go very deep into the race but just doesn't have the extra ability needed to turn a top 10 into a win at this level.

Who else is being drafted in? If I were the Australian selectors Jay McCarthy would already be on his way.

Reactions: movingtarget
How do you know his form will fall off after the TDF? You don't. Seems obvious to me his form was rising all the way through the TdF. As a few others posted earlier in the Tour, Covid was a blessing in disguise for Porte. It prevented him from over racing so he arrived at the Tour in near perfect shape and peak for the 3rd week which he obviously did - at 35.

I am not sure of the form of Haig and Hamilton but you cannot question the form of Porte right now. I think Richie can be a great asset to Australia at the worlds. I agree its very doubtful he could win but he will be a valuable teammate for the likes of Matthews if Bling is strong enough to survive the course.

Go through Porte's history - Few if any results after the TDF - Well Hamilton won a stage of TA and Haig rode strongly in support of S.Yates - There is nothing wrong with their form - I would have had Haig as joint leader with Matthews for the world's

TRENDING THREADS