• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Didn't know that. There are often last minute changes in the Australian squad for some reason, maybe sometimes changes in form and also team politics.

It cant be form - Hamilton won a stage at TA and Haig rode strongly in support of S.Yates at TA - And Mitchelton always allow their riders to ride in the World's - And Schultz from Mitchelton is the replacement - Which suggests politics.

Reactions: movingtarget
Officially a Skyneosgrenadier now, along with Pidcock.

I think Porte saw what happened at BMC and wanted a (close to) guaranteed paycheck for the end of his career. Nothing wrong with that.

I said before the tour that he could follow wheels and get a top 10 in his sleep. while he did much, much better, that's essentially what he did.

I had rated Roglic, Pogacar, Bernal, Froome and/or Thomas, Pinot, Lopez and Landa above him. But he hung in there when others flamed out or crashed out, or were deselected...

I'll be pulling for Richie to get a few more big wins in the next two years, although part of me wishes he wasn't at Ineos to double down on the underdog facttor...

No Winnebago this time. Smaller contract, on a good note, a tent in the Dolomites is a great place. I can't blame the guy. Ineos obviously needs help, desperate people do desperate things, cliche, cliche, cliche...
Yet he made the podium in the Tour and knows that will be the best he will do before heading back to domestique duties. How's Pinot going ? The years are ticking by. With the Sky/Ineos record in the Tour I guess a bad year was overdue. Porte was signed because he's a quality domestique. I'm sure other teams were interested as well. With the squad Ineos has at their disposal I think desperate might be stretching it. More like they need form riders and healthy ones like every other team.

Go through Porte's history - Few if any results after the TDF - Well Hamilton won a stage of TA and Haig rode strongly in support of S.Yates - There is nothing wrong with their form - I would have had Haig as joint leader with Matthews for the world's
Few if any results after previous TdFs don’t count. When was the last time we had Covid delay most of the normal season? No TDU, no PN etc. Porte should be much fresher than after any TdF he has completed previously. You could still end up right but not for the logic you stated. History is not a guide this year.

He'll need to do a better job than he did in 2014 then
He got sick with a chest infection and was diagnosed with pneumonia after the race from what I remember. He was still a bit raw then anyway, I think he was a better GC rider between 2016-2018 and had little team leader experience before that except in the short stagee races His 7th in the 2010 Giro was courtesy of being in a freakish break of 50 or so riders in atrocious weather. The stage was so chaotic that the stronger teams temporarily lost control of the race. Unfortunately his best years physically were his worst for crashes, ill timed mechanicals and bad luck.

He got sick with a chest infection and was diagnosed with pneumonia after the race from what I remember. He was still a bit raw then anyway, I think he was a better GC rider between 2016-2018 and had little team leader experience before that except in the short stagee races His 7th in the 2010 Giro was courtesy of being in a freakish break of 50 or so riders in atrocious weather. The stage was so chaotic that the stronger teams temporarily lost control of the race. Unfortunately his best years physically were his worst for crashes, ill timed mechanicals and bad luck.
I watched the 2010 Giro...

TRENDING THREADS