• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
He said recently he no longer has the power on the climbs to follow big accelerations, it takes him longer to react which is deadly in one day races. Seemed that way in the Tour, he would sometimes get dropped and ride back at his own pace.
He has always seemed to have a very good top speed when climbing but not much of a jump, even at his absolute best. Porte needs to burn riders off the wheel rather than jump away. Liege probably suits him better.

He has always seemed to have a very good top speed when climbing but not much of a jump, even at his absolute best. Porte needs to burn riders off the wheel rather than jump away. Liege probably suits him better.
Yes but Porte admitted that it's even worse now. Grand tour riders usually hit the downward slope after 33 some a bit later but Porte's result in the Tour just shows what might have been in his better, younger years. Also Covid has played a role this season and the race scheduling has seemed to help some riders and not others. A 35 year old Evans was competing against Froome and Wiggo and the Sky train, winning at 34 was his last realistic chance at winning the Tour, probably the same for Porte's podium at 35. Glad for both of them.

All my love for Richie has died
Why didnt he stay at Trek and ride GC
All it takes is for Rog and Pog to be sick or crash or anything...whcih as we know can happen

He had a 3 million contract at BMC and a 2 million at Trek ...he doesn't need the money

So what is he going to be doing ..chasing down riders at the Tour along with Carapaz ... what a .waste

Many were saying that while he was riding at Sky supporting Froome in 2015. I think Porte definitely feels the pressure and performs best when the pressure is removed. He's also a dad now so maybe focus is different. Agree with webvan, gotta respect his decision.

But hopefully we can see Porte burn off a few GC favorites just like old times. Judging by his current training form in Tasmania he is going to be absolutely flying when the upcoming season starts. Just hope his GC leader can keep up! :D

Many were saying that while he was riding at Sky supporting Froome in 2015. I think Porte definitely feels the pressure and performs best when the pressure is removed. He's also a dad now so maybe focus is different. Agree with webvan, gotta respect his decision.

But hopefully we can see Porte burn off a few GC favorites just like old times. Judging by his current training form in Tasmania he is going to be absolutely flying when the upcoming season starts. Just hope his GC leader can keep up! :D
Remembering the sterling work he did for Froome before and the effect it had on some of Froome's rivals, I still think Porte can be a key piece for Ineos in the mountains and the time trials. The fact that he can switch off before the end of stages and not worry about his GC position means he should be strong for the majority of the race. He will really only come to the front on the final climbs of each stage. On the flat stages he can keep dropping time also avoiding getting caught up in crashes in the finale when the pressure is on at the front. No wonder he sounds relieved to be going back to his old duties.

Reactions: Cookster15
In all honesty, it's no different to what he's (publicly) done in previous years. He's the king of January for a reason ;-)

Thought about your post after noticing Porte's most recent activity in Tasmania - he isn't slowing down. All I will say is if this is normal pre season for him then he sure has a lot of Strava KOMs and PBs? I assume he was using Strava in recent years too?

Today he got flagged by someone on a 186k, 32kph avg with 3,000+ metres of climbing. Not bad at all. One example KOM on the route was 2.8km @ 6.6%. Avg speed? Nearly 28km/h. That some serious watts even for 60kg.

Yes I think the old man will be going okay when the big races arrive.

Reactions: gregrowlerson