• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Support riders are usually not at the pointy end in each stage - Porte should do better in the warmer weather.

Except "usually" isn't Richie Porte. Porte is a super domestique. His job is to be at the pointy end. Just as he's been at the pointy end with Sky since 2012. He has been riding at a similar level even though e's older e.g. podium in 2020 TdF podium and superb stage 20 TT. He seems ill.

Except "usually" isn't Richie Porte. Porte is a super domestique. His job is to be at the pointy end. Just as he's been at the pointy end with Sky since 2012. He has been riding at a similar level even though e's older e.g. podium in 2020 TdF podium and superb stage 20 TT. He seems ill.

There has only been 2 or possibly 3 mountain type stages - In one he was used up early in the stage, he was terrible in one stage and OK in another stage - Ineos is mixing up their tactics, instead of solely relying on a hard paced mountain train - Add that he has crashed on at least two occasions so there are reasons for an inconsistent performance - At the end of the day, the Aussie cohort falsely though he was riding for GC when this was never the case.

Reactions: Sandisfan
There has only been 2 or possibly 3 mountain type stages - In one he was used up early in the stage, he was terrible in one stage and OK in another stage - Ineos is mixing up their tactics, instead of solely relying on a hard paced mountain train - Add that he has crashed on at least two occasions so there are reasons for an inconsistent performance - At the end of the day, the Aussie cohort falsely though he was riding for GC when this was never the case.
Not really, Porte was signed as a domestique for the stage races and he said himself before the start that Thomas and Carapaz were the protected riders but when Porte is riding well he usually lasts a long time on the final climbs. I think the team have told him to to switch off more and forget about the time loss but its obvious the time losses irritate him as he has shown on camera a few times after he was dropped. The crashes may have affected him but he's not the same rider that rode and won the Dauphine. Yesterday's stage was probably his best of the race so far apart from the TT. But even then when he was on the front WVA was losing little or no time on the the Ventoux. Porte on his game would be chewing into that lead as he has shown in the past. Hope he still gets chances at the shorter stage races next season as he can still win those.

Reactions: yaco and Cookster15
Not really, Porte was signed as a domestique for the stage races and he said himself before the start that Thomas and Carapaz were the protected riders but when Porte is riding well he usually lasts a long time on the final climbs. I think the team have told him to to switch off more and forget about the time loss but its obvious the time losses irritate him as he has shown on camera a few times after he was dropped. The crashes may have affected him but he's not the same rider that rode and won the Dauphine. Yesterday's stage was probably his best of the race so far apart from the TT. But even then when he was on the front WVA was losing little or no time on the the Ventoux. Porte on his game would be chewing into that lead as he has shown in the past. Hope he still gets chances at the shorter stage races next season as he can still win those.

It is indeed curious.

Guess it's not suprising that he wants to focus on one-week races in his final season, not sounding... overly keen on the GT dom front.

At this point in my career, whether or not I do another Grand Tour… I’m motivated for next year to go and clean up maybe a few more one week stage races before calling it a career,” said Porte.

“I had a talk to my coach Tim Kerrison, and there’s obviously races like Tirreno [Adriatico] and the Pais Basque [Itzulia Basque Country] that I’ve not won. That’s motivating as well. But at the end of the day, I need a little bit of a rest after this.

Richie is retiring at the right time. He finally got his Tour podium in 2020 and had an unlucky fifth place in 2016 and he has won a slew of short stage races. Makes sense that he wants to target similar races next season. Unfortunately his season peaked in the Dauphine this year. He rode a good first TT in the Tour but his climbing legs were not there for the rest of the race nor for the Worlds. Like Nibali, Fuglsang and others, age is starting to affect him in the grand tours. If Froome doesn't show moderate improvement next season I think he could retire as well but he also has the age factor to contend with now as well as his other issues re injuries etc .........

Guess it's not suprising that he wants to focus on one-week races in his final season, not sounding... overly keen on the GT dom front.

I don't think he was particularly keen to be a dom, especially after the Dauphiné. I'm not going to say he slacked off in the Tour but he wasn't riding like he did at Sky when he was in his 20s either...

Richie planning to ride the Giro in 2022.

I like.
Looking at Strava, Porte is stringing together some impressive base building rides in Tasmania right now. Christmas Eve was 233km over 3,000 metres of climbing averaging 34km/h. Yesterday another 133km with >2.000metres of climbing at 35km/h.

Not sure if he does these solo or with others but I recall he was doing similar this time last year. If he stays healthy and upright in early season races he should be in good shape to start the Giro for his final season.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS