• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Good to see Sky keeping their options open. They should fill the top 10 places at the Tour.

How good would that be for cycling .The whole world would know then that cycling was totally clean .Fantastic

May 19, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Contador is going to have refrigerate a years worth of blood to beat Porte by the Tour.

Good to see Sky keeping their options open. They should fill the top 10 places at the Tour.

fill top 10 is a little over stretch, but swipe the podium is definitely a possibility:D

Henao and Betancur are better than Quintana on the short super steep stuff, so no real surprises that they took 8 seconds off Quintana on the wall.

Porte doing well on theses climbs was unheard of, before this year, and him finishing ahead of Anton and Samu would be unthinkable before, but after PN, we should have expected this.

Anyway 4 out of the top 5 are under 26, Henao the oldest, 3 Colombians and one Italian.
Are the younger generation doing well because the older guys are off the juice now? (or only micro-dosing with not much effect)

thehog said:
One step? 3 years ago they couldn't place a rider in the Top 30. Now the entire team are worthy GT contenders! :rolleyes:

They could field two teams.

I'm stating as of Today's results-which indicates every Sky GC (Froome, Porte, Henao, Uran, even Wiggo:eek:) can handle Contador at ease-everything else I absolutely agree a 100%

May 12, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Henao and Betancur are better than Quintana on the short super steep stuff, so no real surprises that they took 8 seconds off Quintana on the wall.

Porte doing well on theses climbs was unheard of, before this year, and him finishing ahead of Anton and Samu would be unthinkable before, but after PN, we should have expected this.

Anyway 4 out of the top 5 are under 26, Henao the oldest, 3 Colombians and one Italian.
Are the younger generation doing well because the older guys are off the juice now? (or only micro-dosing with not much effect)

It's only one stage though, and not one that's very representative for most other races. All big classics and GT's were won by guys in their 30's last year.

Given that the richest and third-most populated country in the world is filled with dope (and the second richest and most populated country too), a poorer and less-populated country with (relatively) great success would most likely also be 'assisted' in performances.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
So much rumours of doping in Australian sport, wouldn't be hard to believe Porte is part of it

He's not racing in or for an Australian team. If he's doping, that's part of the Sky program.

Defend the British system all you like, but if you are going to insinuate that the cycling of another country is based on drugs,at least get the facts right. Was Porte the star he is now, before signing with Sky?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Given that the richest and third-most populated country in the world is filled with dope (and the second richest and most populated country too), a poorer and less-populated country with (relatively) great success would most likely also be 'assisted' in performances.

A great lie exposed?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
He's not racing in or for an Australian team. If he's doping, that's part of the Sky program.

Defend the British system all you like, but if you are going to insinuate that the cycling of another country is based on drugs,at least get the facts right. Was Porte the star he is now, before signing with Sky?

It was a case of playing Devil's advocate my friend, but interesting to see you go on the attack on Sky. Strange logic to my mind.

And I am alluding to the ACC investigation, sorry if that doesn't make for for pleasant reading but it's happening.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Its a shame Masterracer is banned. I was looking forward to hear his explanation on how its possible for Porte to be better than Contador.

You're asking the wrong question mate. How is it possible for Contador to be worst than Porte? :D :p

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
It was a case of playing Devil's advocate my friend, but interesting to see you go on the attack on Sky. Strange logic to my mind.

And I am alluding to the ACC investigation, sorry if that doesn't make for for pleasant reading but it's happening.

I didn't attack Sky at all. Just stated a fact and asked a question about when Porte's success has come.

In relation to the ACC investigation, there is no implication of cycling in that. Totally different sports and of course it is going on. It needed to and I hope it results in bans for those that cheated. Again though, your assumptions about cycling being wrapped up in that are wrong. ASADA has a separate on going investigation into doping in cycling, but that is yet to yield any results and no accusations have been made about anyone.

You're one of the first on here to take a nationalistic approach to defending British cycling and I have respect for that. But if you don't like accusations being made against BC and Sky, then perhaps you should not accuse other countries on the basis of incorrect information.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
I didn't attack Sky at all. Just stated a fact and asked a question about when Porte's success has come.

In relation to the ACC investigation, there is no implication of cycling in that. Totally different sports and of course it is going on. It needed to and I hope it results in bans for those that cheated. Again though, your assumptions about cycling being wrapped up in that are wrong. ASADA has a separate on going investigation into doping in cycling, but that is yet to yield any results and no accusations have been made about anyone.

Your one of the first on here to take a nationalistic approach to defending British cycling and I have respect for that. But if you don't like accusations being made against BC and Sky, then perhaps you should not accuse other countries on the basis of incorrect information.

Simply a case oif fighting fire with fire when the needs demands, a way of puncturing certain prejudice and sensibilities, and exposing the partisan nature of this discussion: no-one is objective, no-one.

The ACC investigation is not insignificant, and the fact that ASADA are doing a seperate investigation does not preclude cycling won't be implicated as well.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:

That's the scary part. Porte beating Samu and Anton. Another face palm moment for Team Sky in the believable stakes. Now I don't mind Henao...but come on. All the Roosters seem to want their go in the Sky hen house.

Tone it down Sky. It's way too obvious ATM.:D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Its a shame Masterracer is banned. I was looking forward to hear his explanation on how its possible for Porte to be better than Contador.

Wanna bet he's got a sockpuppet account? Take a look around. Most of the Sky fans do.

TRENDING THREADS