• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Porte / Froome and Julich

I was reading a Pro Cycling magazine from November 2011 - whilst lying on the beach :) and there was an article in it - The Bobby Julich Effect.

It states that Froome lives in Monaco, closeby to Julich in Nice.

We meet quite often to talk about training and plans going forward...I would say Bobby's played a really big part in getting me ready for the Vuelta and in moving me forward this season

Another rider who credits the American with the power of helping him make a breakthrough into the big time is Richie Porte, who enjoyed a sensational 2010 at Saxobank under Julich's guidance

When Julich was hired at the start of the year to develop riders training plans and impart his wealth of experience he said the role is unique among the ProTeams.

Interesting !!
 
Cycle Chic said:
I was reading a Pro Cycling magazine from November 2011 - whilst lying on the beach :) and there was an article in it - The Bobby Julich Effect.

It states that Froome lives in Monaco, closeby to Julich in Nice.







Interesting !!

Not so little anymore.

He looks strong. Lance 1996 linebacker strong.
 
frenchfry said:
It looks like marginal gains are transferrable between riders.

Of course it's fun to go on and on about marginal gains.

Can I recommend you have a look at the video interview with the Sky coach Kerrison on the CN site?

He debunks marginal gains, preferring real gains.

Richie was good last spring, then his form tailed off a bit: may be the same this year, but that was a very impressive attack.

I don't know how much was controlled by him and how much by his DS, but the timing and execution of his attack was perfect (unlike Tolansky).

Glad to see him getting his chance and grabbing it....if only to annoy a certain obsessed poster:D
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
Visit site
coinneach said:
Of course it's fun to go on and on about marginal gains.

Can I recommend you have a look at the video interview with the Sky coach Kerrison on the CN site?

He debunks marginal gains, preferring real gains.

Richie was good last spring, then his form tailed off a bit: may be the same this year, but that was a very impressive attack.

I don't know how much was controlled by him and how much by his DS, but the timing and execution of his attack was perfect (unlike Tolansky).

Glad to see him getting his chance and grabbing it....if only to annoy a certain obsessed poster:D

Talking about marginal gains is meant as a joke. Even Knaven said last year that they don't do anything different from other teams. Richie Porte is just this talented. He just skilfully hid it for the first 27 years of his life.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
Lanark said:
Talking about marginal gains is meant as a joke. Even Knaven said last year that they don't do anything different from other teams. Richie Porte is just this talented. He just skilfully hid it for the first 27 years of his life.

Glad we got that cleared up. This is cycling. They dope.
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
3
0
Visit site
Sky are experts at turning donkeys into racehorses in their late 20s. Froome, Sir Bradley, now Porte all with transformations not seen since Riis.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
willbick said:
really? what are they taking oh wise one?

Chill will, it will all come out. It always does. We know what all the past riders and teams have involved. Sky wont be any different.

What Are they taking? I dont care. They are on something. They make it look easy beating all the Riis, Och, Kim Andersen, Lefevere, Ekimov, Martinelli, Unzue teams and all the others who never went away.
 
Jul 13, 2012
441
0
0
Visit site
Lanark said:
Talking about marginal gains is meant as a joke. Even Knaven said last year that they don't do anything different from other teams. Richie Porte is just this talented. He just skilfully hid it for the first 27 years of his life.

7th at the Giro and best young rider in 2010. Yup hid that well.
 
xcleigh said:
7th at the Giro and best young rider in 2010. Yup hid that well.

GC stage 1 (while trying to defend the pink jersey) and having his entire team work for him

1 NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 4h57'51"
2 BASSO Ivan LIQ 23"
3 SCARPONI Michele AND 23"
4 EVANS Cadel BMC 23"
5 VINOKOUROV Alexandre AST 01'34"
6 SAMOILAU Branislau QST 02'25"
7 MOLLEMA Bauke RAB 02'25"
8 CUNEGO Damiano LAM 02'25"
9 GERDEMANN Linus MRM 02'25"
10 PINOTTI Marco THR 02'25"



24 PORTE Richie SAX 04'46"



GC Stage 2 (while trying to keep in the top 3) and having his entire team work for him


1 BASSO Ivan LIQ 6h21'58"
2 EVANS Cadel BMC 01'19"
3 SCARPONI Michele AND 01'30"
4 CUNEGO Damiano LAM 01'58"
5 VINOKOUROV Alexandre AST 02'26"
6 SASTRE CANDIL Carlos CTT 02'44"
7 NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 03'07"
8 PINOTTI Marco THR 03'20"
9 MARTIN Daniel GRM 03'31"
10 GADRET John ALM 03'46"

18 PORTE Richie SAX 05'46"



GC stage 3 (while trying to stay in the top 5) and having his entire team work for him

1 SCARPONI Michele AND 5h27'04"
2 BASSO Ivan LIQ
3 NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ
4 VINOKOUROV Alexandre AST 03'05"
5 GADRET John ALM 03'05"
6 EVANS Cadel BMC 03'06"
7 ARROYO DURAN David GCE 03'06"
8 SASTRE CANDIL Carlos CTT 03'06"
9 SAMOILAU Branislau QST 05'27"
10 PINOTTI Marco THR 05'27"

14 PORTE Richie SAX 05'31"


Lets wait and see how he performs in the mtt, but this was what his attempt at the mtt looked like the year according to you he showed his talent.

1 GARZELLI Stefano ASA 41'28"
2 EVANS Cadel BMC 42"
3 GADRET John ALM 54"
4 NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 01'01"
5 SCARPONI Michele AND 01'07"
6 BASSO Ivan LIQ 01'10"
7 URAN URAN Rigoberto GCE 01'36"
8 VINOKOUROV Alexandre AST 01'37"
9 CATALDO Dario QST 01'41"
10 PETROV Evgeni KAT 01'46"
"
17 PORTE Richie SAX 02'17"




In 3 stages and a time trial he went from being 11 minutes ahead of Basso (gotten in a breakaway) to 6 minutes behind him. Thats 17 minutes lost over 3 and a half stages. At the age of 25.

You sure this is the type of performance indicative of a rider who not too long after is riding Contador style away from a pack of good gc riders.
 
xcleigh said:
7th at the Giro and best young rider in 2010. Yup hid that well.

porte on the mountain stages of the giro
Asolo:

24. PORTE Richie SAX 04'46" 0

Zoncolan:

18. PORTE Richie SAX 05'46" 0

Plan de Corones MTT:
17. PORTE Richie SAX 02'17" 0

Aprica:
14. PORTE Richie SAX 05'31" 0

Tonale:
19. PORTE Richie SAX 01'42" 0

1:30 down on the first of the favourites on what pretty much was a soft peddled stage. . .

clear signs of some1 that would be destroying guys his age or even younger 3 years later, guys that happened to be better then him in 2010 already.

p.s. have i told you how much i hate you before hitch? <_<
 
the sceptic said:
Sky are experts at turning donkeys into racehorses in their late 20s. Froome, Sir Bradley, now Porte all with transformations not seen since Riis.

Porte doesn't belong with the others. He had road results to point to. The transformation may seem extreme, but that 7th in the Giro, bonus time or not, means that even if he completes a full GC metamorphosis he can only be filed with the likes of Kohl at worst. Mosquera and Santi Pérez are examples of the next level of surprising transformation. Riis belongs in this category at worst. Froome is a level beyond even that.
 
cineteq said:
This is getting too much of a joke.
Let's forget about Porte for a sec., what about his domestiques' performance? :rolleyes:

lol. yes see below:

19 David LOPEZ GARCIA SKY PROCYCLING 00:01:06

Mr Lopez paced Porte up de Lure for a good while and then placed just a few secs behind Kloden and Roche while beating a number of other teams GC contenders.

Just like the good old days.
 
Jul 13, 2012
441
0
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:


Lets wait and see how he performs in the mtt, but this was what his attempt at the mtt looked like the year according to you he showed his talent.

You sure this is the type of performance indicative of a rider who not too long after is riding Contador style away from a pack of good gc riders.


7th in any GT I'd say isn't too shabby eh? I think 2-3 years of progression would bring Porte to where he is now. Whether he dopes or not who knows but I see nothing glaringly, widely, weirdly odd, no. I'm sure time will tell.