• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Porte could end up as the lantern rouge and that still wouldn't change his superhuman dominance on Ax-3-Domaines, which was clearly fuelled by something other than warm downs.

Wasn't the problem that Porte was so 'high' on his performance at Ax-3-Domaines that he forgot to warm down properly? :D

Square-pedaller said:
Wasn't the problem that Porte was so 'high' on his performance at Ax-3-Domaines that he forgot to warm down properly? :D

I thought his 2nd place was the warm down after his massive turn on the front? :rolleyes:

Porte's become everything he thought he wouldn't. He mustn't remember what he told Ashenden.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Warming down is the most basic possible technique, the way Sky carry on like it's some unique groundbreaking innovation you would think that warm downs are the sporting equivalent of the discovery of penicillin.

I was doing warm downs aged 9, after P.E. classes, at a middle-of-the-road government primary school. We'd run for two laps around the oval, then the teacher would tell us to walk one more lap as a warm down. I wonder if Lord Brailsford got the idea from her :rolleyes:.

Alphabet said:
Warming down is the most basic possible technique, the way Sky carry on like it's some unique groundbreaking innovation you would think that warm downs are the sporting equivalent of the discovery of penicillin.

I was doing warm downs aged 9, after P.E. classes, at a middle-of-the-road government primary school. We'd run for two laps around the oval, then the teacher would tell us to walk one more lap as a warm down. I wonder if Lord Brailsford got the idea from her :rolleyes:.
NO WAI, he got it from MY PE teacher.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Nobody would be able to ride up Ax like that clean. Froome's Tour dominance isn't just too high for his own mediocre talents, but for humanity as a whole. What Froome did was impossible, unthinkable, a Riis-Hautacam or Lance-Sestrieres moment. And Porte was nearly as good.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Nobody would be able to ride up Ax like that clean. Froome's Tour dominance isn't just too high for his own mediocre talents, but for humanity as a whole. What Froome did was impossible, unthinkable, a Riis-Hautacam or Lance-Sestrieres moment. And Porte was nearly as good.

I suppose you missed yesterday then. I'm sure someone can find you a replay :p

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I know what I saw yesterday, a man deliberately losing time. Does anybody have a video of a genuine Porte crack (preferably from before 2011)? It would be interesting to see if he looked as calm, composed, and still as he did yesterday.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:

Im very impressed by your depth in universe truths, you know for sure that "Nobody would be able" and also you are 100% spot on everyone's "mediocre" or awesome talents.

your knowledge in the inner secrets of human body and mind must be absolute

the perfect model of the internet troll :D

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
I know what I saw yesterday, a man deliberately losing time. Does anybody have a video of a genuine Porte crack (preferably from before 2011)? It would be interesting to see if he looked as calm, composed, and still as he did yesterday.

Has he ever cracked like that before in his professional cycling career? It may be linked to the fact that Saturday's effort was the best ever he has put in and consequently he felt well below par yesterday ;)

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
EnacheV said:
Im very impressed by your depth in universe truths, you know for sure that "Nobody would be able" and also you are 100% spot on everyone's "mediocre" or awesome talents.

your knowledge in the inner secrets of human body and mind must be absolute

the perfect model of the internet troll :D

If you want to play that card, spot the clean rider on the list of the ten fastest ever climbs of Ax-3-Domaines. I'll give you a hint- there isn't one. Armstrong, Basso, Ullrich, Contador and co. all feature on that list. And Froomedog beat the lot minus Armstrong and Laiseka.

Beyond that, Froome pumped out 6.3-6.5 watts per kilo. It's widely accepted that any w/kg figure greater than 6.0 is beyond the threshold of unassisted humans.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Porte must have starting jucing back in 2010 then. Because his performance in the ITT at the worlds 2010 was quiet extraordinary given what a smal guy Porte is compared to Canc, T Martin, Millar and Rogers. He was beaten by a minute and 19 seconds by Canc, but was just 17 seconds behind Millar and 7 seconds behind Martin, and about a minute ahead of Rogers. At that time Porte was heavier and a bit more musculare than today.

If Porte was clean in 2010 is it then impossible to believe that a much lighter Porte could do some real damage in the mountains? I'm not so sure. Someone as smal as Porte coming 4th in the ITT at the Worlds must have an extraordinary engine.

Sure, I'm not claiming I'm certain Porte is clean, I'm not,just that I don't see it as totally impossible that he can be clean.

Alphabet said:
Beyond that, Froome pumped out 6.3-6.5 watts per kilo. It's widely accepted that any w/kg figure greater than 6.0 is beyond the threshold of unassisted humans.
You need to qualify that. Figures greater than 6.0 w/kg are perfectly possible, it depends on the duration of the effort.

On this climb? Yeah, 6.3-6.5 is knocking on Mutant's doors I reckon.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:

Says who ? The magazine science of some websites that have "science"in their name and some weird "phd's" in "sport science" ?

Probably right now there are some humans than can put 6,7,8 or god knows how much. Depends on so many factors.

If there was any connection between >6.5 w/kg and doping that it would have been a scientific fact and people would have been suspended over it.

But it isnt the case because all these indicators are more like "supporters talking when drinking a beer" rather than science.

Alphabet said:
Widely accepted on this forum, maybe, but note that the number is taken out of nowhere and not based on any research or anything. As mentioned it obviously depends on the duration too, personally I can do far more than 6 w/kg for 1 minute or so, without PEDs...

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
6.7 was during the Lance era, the figure to hit, the one that would see you win 3 week races with ease. This is corroborated by Tyler Hamilton and by extension, Michele Ferrari. The latter being the greatest mind sports doping has ever seen, and the former, his client. Their credibility on this is beyond questioning.

6.5 is a stone's throw from 6.7.

maltiv said:
Widely accepted on this forum, maybe, but note that the number is taken out of nowhere and not based on any research or anything. As mentioned it obviously depends on the duration too, personally I can do far more than 6 w/kg for 1 minute or so, without PEDs...

Hrotha already covered that, my bad. Let me specify again: in excess of 20 minutes at 'far more' than 6 w/kg is not humanly possible.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:

When he realized he couldn't close the gap on Peyresourde he gave up the chase. So yes, after that he delibaretely lost time, saving his energy instead. But do you mean he deliberately decided to lose time before that and let Froome be isolated? If so, why exactly would he do that? To give impression that he and Sky are more human? Bull****, if Porte would have stayed with Froome no one would have raised their eyebrowes because there were plenty of riders with Froome that are not among the absolute best climbers in the world. Btw, an isolated Froome was a huge risk for Sky, if something would have happened, puncture or crash, he would have needed his teammates.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Bakhjulet said:
When he realized he couldn't close the gap on Peyresourde he gave up the chase. So yes, after that he delibaretely lost time, saving his energy instead . But do you mean he deliberately decided to lose time before that and let Froome be isolated? If so, why exactly would he do that? To give impression that he and Sky are more human? Bull****, if Porte would have stayed with Froome no one would have raised their eyebrowes because there were plenty of riders with Froome that are not among the absolute best climbers in the world. Btw, an isolated Froome was a huge risk for Sky, if something would have happened, puncture or crash, he would have needed his teammates.

Any why shouldn't he? After all, he is only a domestique and there to support Froome with no question within or for Sky atm that no one other than Froome is to win.

He could lose 30 mins and still be there with Froome at another stage and during the next categorised climb helping him out to the end if need be with little to no consideration to his overall GC.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Hrotha already covered that, my bad. Let me specify again: in excess of 20 minutes at 'far more' than 6 w/kg is not humanly possible.
If it were not humanly possible then, by definition, no human could do it. Whether it is physiologically possible is another matter...