• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MBotero said:
Maybe Porte can learn Froome his cobbles tricks,since he was decent enough in this year TDF cobbled stage.

LRP also hit the deck:

294-IMG_0341.jpg

But we have panache here.

Catwhoorg said:
“I’m coming into this period seven kilos lighter than I was at this time last year. I’m definitely ready to go and ready to really step it up. I’d love to have a big year.”

neat logic from Liddle old Richie:
the only good thing about having a bad year is that it does make you hungrier

hungrier - then he drops a stone in month - go figure.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
ralphbert said:
WTF. No way little ritchie has 7kg to lose off his frame and previous condition.

That's more than 10% but he did say "this time last year". It's possible he is not 7kg lighter than his lightest, just lighter than he was at the same time the previous year.

How that impacts his ongoing health will be interesting to see. Fat has its uses.

Also be interesting to see Cadel leaving on the Tour Down Under and a lighter Richie also having a dig.

With the usual caveat of not trusting anything a rider says about their weight or power meters...

Richie really didn't look to have that much weight to lose last year.

Since the move to Sky he had already slimmed down significantly. Just how much more could he have had to lose ?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
With the usual caveat of not trusting anything a rider says about their weight or power meters...

Richie really didn't look to have that much weight to lose last year.

Since the move to Sky he had already slimmed down significantly. Just how much more could he have had to lose ?

Is Tasmania the 'Tenerife' for some Aussies :D

Taxus4a said:
If he really has lost 7 kg, he is gonna fly.

He is very aerodinamic, so a good trialist, but that helps as well in the climbs, especially windy climbs.

Theirs weakness are his weight and his endurance for 3 weeks, but anyway he was top ten in his firts GT, Giro de Italia, so he is a serius candidate to that race this year if he has lost weight.

Cleans?

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Taxus4a said:

He is very aerodinamic, so a good trialist, but that helps as well in the climbs, especially windy climbs.

Theirs weakness are his weight and his endurance for 3 weeks, but anyway he was top ten in his firts GT, Giro de Italia, so he is a serius candidate to that race this year if he has lost weight.

the I've lost 7kg is just BS. like anyone believes that lol

Nice PR sky

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Taxus4a said:

yea after riding away with a big break away group that got a ton of time because nobody in the peleton gave a **** :eek:

I remember the days when Richie rode for Contador during the Giro 11. He was so helpful back then :eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
LRP also hit the deck:

294-IMG_0341.jpg

But we have panache here.
remember G had won jnr Roubaix, what, 2002/3ish? Did Stannard win the ur before or did he come runner up to G the year G wins. Such a boss G, I reckon he would push Bobridge's WR in the 4kIP if he could ride a hot boards at Del Monte in July. Remember Before Beijing Olympics he was flying for the GB training camp which was before the Tour, think they clocked him at a 415" in MAnchester. He prolly coulda taken Wiggins in the IP in Beijing but Brailsford et el knew G was the engine with Clancy in the TP so they held him out. Think Steve Burke ended up winning a bronze that year, and he may have done the qualifiers in the TP but not the final.

webbie146 said:
yea after riding away with a big break away group that got a ton of time because nobody in the peleton gave a **** :eek:

I remember the days when Richie rode for Contador during the Giro 11. He was so helpful back then :eek:

ein??

That day in the peloton even Basso work hevilly at the end, (Evans was ill). Nobody give you for free breakaways, and it uses to pay later in the race. But it is true, he take advantage, as others, of the work of riders as Amador that day (he was amazing).

But he managed to finish in a good position till the end (7), what is meritable in his firts GT in a Giro really, really hard from the begining till the end. He was young, really young if we consider he started cycling at 20 (Pinot at 7)

That year with Contador, it is his ONLY "bad" year in the climbs, he rode Giro and Tour (hard) as a domestique and that is not a good motivation, but that year he was really impressive on the ITT.

So, please, dont tell me about an exception when you describe a rider.

He has his lacks, but.. with less weight is interesting to see his improvements in 3 weeks, for the moment, not so much.

thehog said:
I agree. Both riders, high on predisone, beating up on French riders and killing the field. This year was fairly boring when Sky wasn't winning everything.

We also need another Walsh book on how hard they train.

One of my dogs needs prednisone, but she has Addison's Disease. No wonder she's so fast in the woods:rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
nayr497 said:
Tasmania is one of the coolest places I've ever visited. Had no idea there would be white sand/bright blue water beaches. Awesome. Too bad this was before I did much road riding. Would love to get back there someday.
David Walsh, MONA

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Li'l Richie sets up the narrative for this year

There are a lot of people who are questioning me and my ability, but for me this year… I’ve got some big goals,” Porte told local media.

“This time trial win is a fantastic way to start it.”

The problem for me last year was my health and it looks like I am back on top of it,” Porte continued.

“I haven’t done a good time trial on a course like this for a long time. We have done a lot of work on my time trial position. Credit to [Sky’s Head of Athletic Performance] Tim Kerrison, who believed in me even after the disaster which was 2014.”

You can count on one hand the number of nights I’ve had out drinking or letting my hair down,” Porte said.

“I’m focused. It’s a big year for me.”

Oh god. Here comes the annual Sky **** show. :eek: