• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
No-one can dispute that he is looking slim.

Already probably slimmer than any point last year (which is disputable)

Commentator (Matt Keenan) actually made mention of the fact that he is carrying more weight than this time last year? To my eyes he looked like he could ride over the jumps.

Dear Wiggo said:
TO be fair I think it was a hilly course, suited to a smaller rider.

Bobridge is fit, obviously, but will be training for an indoor, flat, 1 hour effort. And not peaking for another 3+ weeks.

It is a hilly course, perfectly suited to Porte.

ChewbaccaD said:
Prediction: We will see a "clean" Sky team reemerge to be a dominant force in the GT's, and some sacrificial goat from the "old generation" who still does well in GT's will go down...and Froome and Porte will allude to suspicions of dirtiness last year. Cookson will be hailed as a savior, and champion of the new "clean" dudes. Froome will win the Tour by 4 minutes, with Porte having to bag a stage so as not to take 2nd or 3rd...to prove that Sky are all hard work, and no dirty filler.

Looking backwards, Leinders' contributions were brilliant. Brilliant is over used, but appropriate. He created riders that made the rest of the WT look like Sunday cafe runners. Guys like Porte could just ride elites off his wheel.

Maybe we'll get lucky and re-live a Mapie-style sweep!! Conditions are certainly set up for it.

Thanks to all for describing the course.

i can see porte doing a wiggins 2012 this year, he's been talking about "losing 7kgs" and "form of his life" just like wiggins was in the winter of 2012. i'm predicting a win or at least a podium at paris-nice/t-a, criterium international, an ardennes race, the giro, and top 5 at the tour while helping froome win it.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
zlev11 said:
i can see porte doing a wiggins 2012 this year, he's been talking about "losing 7kgs" and "form of his life" just like wiggins was in the winter of 2012. i'm predicting a win or at least a podium at paris-nice/t-a, criterium international, an ardennes race, the giro, and top 5 at the tour while helping froome win it.

As long as Kerrison watches video of Tony Martin and does something about the gears and stuff, lowering Porte's cadence by 3rpm he should be good to go.

Spider1964 said:
Commentator (Matt Keenan) actually made mention of the fact that he is carrying more weight than this time last year? To my eyes he looked like he could ride over the jumps.

It is a hilly course, perfectly suited to Porte.

Chatted with Porte on day before TT. He happened to roll up to the cafe I was at after I rode the TT course. He said that he's 5kg less than some other years he's ridden the nationals but didn't specify which year(s). He was very relaxed, in a good mood. Got engaged a week ago apparently.

I watched many of the riders on one of the tougher climbs (it's a pretty up and down course) and Porte looked the best on course. It didn't surprise me to see he had won when I returned to the finish.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe the man love for Porte on here:eek:
He is one of the most boring riders to watch and hang that with riding for sky its a big smug yawn fest.

"i can see porte doing a wiggins 2012 this year, he's been talking about "losing 7kgs" and "form of his life" just like wiggins was in the winter of 2012. i'm predicting a win or at least a podium at paris-nice/t-a, criterium international, an ardennes race, the giro, and top 5 at the tour while helping froome win it"

Jesus atheist Christ, if that happens things have gone completely bonkers.
No Chance.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Chatted with Porte on day before TT. He happened to roll up to the cafe I was at after I rode the TT course. He said that he's 5kg less than some other years he's ridden the nationals but didn't specify which year(s). He was very relaxed, in a good mood. Got engaged a week ago apparently.

I watched many of the riders on one of the tougher climbs (it's a pretty up and down course) and Porte looked the best on course. It didn't surprise me to see he had won when I returned to the finish.

Good post, thanks Alex.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
"Porte is the strongest rider in the world right now and he's my tip for the race. He's the favourite and having seen him on the bike first hand, I can say that he's absolutely flying,” said White, sport director at Orica-GreenEdge.

"The time he pulled back on Dennis at the turn in the time trial was around two seconds a kilometre, which was so impressive, especially when you consider that Dennis is going for the Hour Record within the month. I've not seen Richie this small and thin since maybe the Tour de France a couple of years ago. He is a man on a mission."

seems like it's not only the clinic who are taking notice

ray j willings said:
I can't believe the man love for Porte on here:eek:
He is one of the most boring riders to watch and hang that with riding for sky its a big smug yawn fest.

"i can see porte doing a wiggins 2012 this year, he's been talking about "losing 7kgs" and "form of his life" just like wiggins was in the winter of 2012. i'm predicting a win or at least a podium at paris-nice/t-a, criterium international, an ardennes race, the giro, and top 5 at the tour while helping froome win it"

Jesus atheist Christ, if that happens things have gone completely bonkers.
No Chance.

He's a ****.

This makes some amusing reading from last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ill-battle-to-bitter-end-to-win-in-Paris.html

Mrs John Murphy said:

Hilarious!

Incremental gains? Has the term been patented? :rolleyes:

Porte recalled on Tuesday how his season had turned around at a training camp in Tenerife in April thanks to a pep talk from Brailsford. He had just been pulled from Team Sky’s squad for the Giro d’Italia, where he was supposed to lead the team for the first time, and his form was horrible.
“It was at the top of one of the climbs we do; a 3km wall basically. And I think I was two minutes behind my best time. Dave took me to one side and said ‘Stop bashing your head against a brick wall’. I was trying to go from a 7/10 [straight] to a 10/10.”

Brailsford told Porte to relax, to believe in himself, to concentrate on making small, incremental gains. “At the next camp I was basically the same time as Chris up there. Since then I’ve been more professional than I’ve ever been. I’ve been doing core every morning, really watching my diet. When you have an opportunity like this you have to take it. And the Tour is the biggest opportunity of all of them.”

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Hilarious!

Incremental gains? Has the term been patented? :rolleyes:
they did not get the subbie to correct the k from the r from core to coke.

doing coke everymorning.

sounds like what Lance used to do off pudendum at Yellow Rose. every morning.

thnx Kik

the sceptic said:
"The time he pulled back on Dennis at the turn in the time trial was around two seconds a kilometre, which was so impressive, especially when you consider that Dennis is going for the Hour Record within the month. I've not seen Richie this small and thin since maybe the Tour de France a couple of years ago. He is a man on a mission."

Wait, so there's a bigger story here where he was behind pace at the turnaround ~20KM and then buried his competitors, 2 seconds a kilometer in the last ~20KM. That's fast. It doesn't really show in the podium splits.

I take back my comment that Porte needs more power. If he's turning on the afterburners like that, then his Giro campaign might go well.

Brailsford is going to patent "Ocular athletic performance analysis" Look them in the eyes and tell the athlete to relax. It's good for several Watts/Kilo.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Wait, so there's a bigger story here where he was behind pace at the turnaround ~20KM and then buried his competitors, 2 seconds a kilometer in the last ~20KM. That's fast. It doesn't really show in the podium splits.

I take back my comment that Porte needs more power. If he's turning on the afterburners like that, then his Giro campaign might go well.

Brailsford is going to patent "Ocular athletic performance analysis" Look them in the eyes and tell the athlete to relax. It's good for several Watts/Kilo.

I've been saying for years....cycling needs more opthamologists.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
CANRC_Elevations_EliteMenTT.jpg

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Little richie is definately talking like he wants to be much more than just froomedogs flea. Will be super interesting to see tension start to develop between them.

DirtyWorks said:

I rode the course day before the TT. It's much harder on return leg with more climbing suiting the lighter (and aero) guys more than the out leg.

TRENDING THREADS