• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
There can be absolutely no doubt that Porte, like the rest of the Sky team Wiggins, Froome, Rogers etc, are heavily doping. To deny it is like denying the sky is blue or the grass in green.
But they are not alone, cyclist = doper = cheats, unfortunately, and probably will do as long as there is road cycling.

Ozzie2 said:
My observation is that it is because they are winning in a "not normal" fashion, and not simply because they are winning.

there will always be a winner in every race
that is the point. Its a zero sum

fans wish to suspend disbelief, criticism of Sky is a return to egregious USPS days, spitting in the soup of fans by killing competition.

The peloton is less "hot" and merely warm as evidenced by estimate watt numbers. Sky, with McQuaids backing, have managed to take advantage of this. A little like Armstrong in 99. But they still have less a medical program than the USPS squadras.

But, relative, they do look the same. As the peloton is a tad slower. Ergo, Wigans looks faster, when he is anything but, in comparison to the heady days of the 2000 decade with Armstrong, Beloki, Ullrich, Basso, Landis,
Contador and AShleck

Wigans woulda stood not a chance in that peloton. A doped Levi would slay him

Lars Petter Nordhaug was talking about Porte on norwegian eurosport during the vuelta, and how impressed he was with his climbing at a january training camp. According to Nordhaug, Porte was doing 430 watts for 23 minutes, and helpfully added that Porte was 62 kg. I make that 6,93 watts per kg, which sounds a LOT to me, but I don't really know enough about these things to know how suspicious this is for 23 minutes?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'm pretty sure Porte is doping but to say he could barely keep up on the flat is just silly.

The Hog just trolled his own opening post, like Porte being able to time trial but not able to keep up on the flat says it all. Wonderlance is a more credible poster than that idiot.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ozzie2 said:
So if I follow your logic, you are effectively shutting down all web forums?

That's an astounding leap of logic, and nothing at all to do with mine

We should all just read race results and press releases, no?

Books are good too

I mean nothing evolves through a season

Nothing happens to add context, drama, intrigue no?

No one ever writes a book like Tyler Hamilton did right?

Travis tygart doesn't exist

You would hope those events might change the debate

are we not allowed to simply enjoy the discussion?

Sure, if you enjoy saying the same thing over and over and over again. Other people interpret 'enjoy' differently

You know this is therapy for most of us?

I suggest going to a bar, drinking some beer and talking to pretty girls.

That is what web forums are. You do know that, don't you?

Talking ****? Yes, I do know that. You manage to bring it to a new level

Then again maybe you are German, which would make sense.

Racials slurs are fun, aren't they

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
zapata said:
Lars Petter Nordhaug was talking about Porte on norwegian eurosport during the vuelta, and how impressed he was with his climbing at a january training camp. According to Nordhaug, Porte was doing 430 watts for 23 minutes, and helpfully added that Porte was 62 kg. I make that 6,93 watts per kg, which sounds a LOT to me, but I don't really know enough about these things to know how suspicious this is for 23 minutes?

Wiggo could supposedly do 6.7 W/kg for 18 minutes at Garmin.

zapata said:

Could it be that you are supposed to include the weight of the bike before you convert?
430 watts/62+bike =watt per kg.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
That's an astounding leap of logic, and nothing at all to do with mine

Books are good too

You would hope those events might change the debate

Sure, if you enjoy saying the same thing over and over and over again. Other people interpret 'enjoy' differently

I suggest going to a bar, drinking some beer and talking to pretty girls.

Talking ****? Yes, I do know that. You manage to bring it to a new level

Racials slurs are fun, aren't they

oh you're a funny kind of guy aren't you

I imagine you're the life of every party.

well, maybe for the party next door when you complain to the police about the noise.

what's ironic is that your post is as vacuous to the thread as mine was. Actually it was even more so, which is an achievement in itself because the bar is placed pretty low for me.

but my observation is, your argument is the same one repeated itself.

It's that arrogance, irony or hypocrisy?

As for the racial slur, hmmmm, thats interesting. Germans are a race. Mmmmkay. If you say so.

isn't race our way of defining ourselves and each other by attributes and traits?

You're right, I take it back. You aren't German. I was referring to their being precise, immovable like a kid with autocratic asbergers.

I'm pegging you for an empowered rainbow activist.

Is that why you want discussion on topics you find repetitive stopped?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ozzie2 said:
oh you're a funny kind of guy aren't you

I imagine you're the life of every party.

well, maybe for the party next door when you complain to the police about the noise.

what's ironic is that your post is as vacuous to the thread as mine was. Actually it was even more so, which is an achievement in itself because the bar is placed pretty low for me.

but my observation is, your argument is the same one repeated itself.

It's that arrogance, irony or hypocrisy?

As for the racial slur, hmmmm, thats interesting. Germans are a race. Mmmmkay. If you say so.

isn't race our way of defining ourselves and each other by attributes and traits?

You're right, I take it back. You aren't German. I was referring to their being precise, immovable like a kid with autocratic asbergers.

I'm pegging you for an empowered rainbow activist.

Is that why you want discussion on topics you find repetitive stopped?

You have a talent for using a lot of words while saying very little, a scattergun of fairly benign insults. I particularly liked 'Germans are a race, mmmmkay', a classic slice of nonsense. There's an ignore function, right?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
So this thread was posted by a Sky defender? Because I have to question the point of a thread rehashing old accusations that have been debated healthily in other threads. In fact what I see mostly in regards to Sky is the same group of people voicing the same accusations in multiple threads over and over and over again.

And yet you blame the defenders for the proliferation of threads? To my mind many of the accusers are so certain of their guilt I struggle to see why you bother posting at all: who are you trying to convince? The defenders? If you are so certain of their guilt and their eventual exposure and downfall, why are you posting so many threads talking about it?

Funny. Yes this thread was posted by someone historically critical about Sky. Winners and suspected dopers will always find someone in the clinic ready to cast suspicion on them. Like it or not, Sky have far more people to defend them to the hilt (on this forum at least) than pretty much any other team. I don't really know why I post on any web forum at all - I guess I kind of enjoy debating and discussing stuff with people.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
Funny. Yes this thread was posted by someone historically critical about Sky. Winners and suspected dopers will always find someone in the clinic ready to cast suspicion on them. Like it or not, Sky have far more people to defend them to the hilt (on this forum at least) than pretty much any other team. I don't really know why I post on any web forum at all - I guess I kind of enjoy debating and discussing stuff with people.

They've also got posters queueing up to attack them too. At least as many that want to defend them, and these are the first to start new threads or rehash old accusations on the multiple threads about Sky. I'm not saying Sky doesn't warrant discussion, but the discussion does need to evolve, and there's no need for new threads like this one discussing a rider that has been dissected already in the Sky thread (and other Sky related threads), and the Tour de France one.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
JimmyFingers said:
They've also got posters queueing up to attack them too. At least as many that want to defend them, and these are the first to start new threads or rehash old accusations on the multiple threads about Sky. I'm not saying Sky doesn't warrant discussion, but the discussion does need to evolve, and there's no need for new threads like this one discussing a rider that has been dissected already in the Sky thread (and other Sky related threads), and the Tour de France one.

If there is a problem, press the
report.gif
image and report it.

Separating a thread out for a specific rider is definitely worth doing.

JimmyFingers said:

I kinda like it, now it's your turn to be on the recieving end all the time. Consider it England playing The Mediterranean countries in a football match.:D

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
You have a talent for using a lot of words while saying very little, a scattergun of fairly benign insults. I particularly liked 'Germans are a race, mmmmkay', a classic slice of nonsense. There's an ignore function, right?

Yeah, I guess so
You win, I won't post in this thread anymore- of course neither will you

Dear Wiggo said:
Only if your bike is producing power - in which case avoid the x-ray machines.

Really? I thought it was standard to include bike weight when presenting these numbers. Well I'm no expert.

If only the big ring could clear it up. He is really into that stuff.

Sep 29, 2012
ToreBear said:
Really? I thought it was standard to include bike weight when presenting these numbers. Well I'm no expert.

If only the big ring could clear it up. He is really into that stuff.

Dear ToreBear. I am your father. No. Wait. I am the big ring. :confused:

Power to weight is the power you produce, divided by your nekkid weight. Your bike has nothing to do with it, nor your clothes.

Dear Wiggo said:
Dear ToreBear. I am your father. No. Wait. I am the big ring. :confused:

Power to weight is the power you produce, divided by your nekkid weight. Your bike has nothing to do with it, nor your clothes.

Eek:eek: Well I knew:p

The reason I'm confused about the method of calculation is that I have the impression it is common to add the weight of the bike when converting to weight per kilo. Hence when XYZ publishes numbers they will be lower than their nekkid weight alone would be. But If you say it aint so, I'll take your word for it.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
since when Richie became such a puppy dog, I remember when he was at SAXO, personal ambition is all he was talking about. It seems SKY can really change you.:D Oh, and yes he does learn a lot from guys like Bradley and Mick Rogers.:D:D

"It's as yet unclear whether Wiggins will defend his Tour title or target the Giro d'Italia in 2013 but Porte's desire is to ride as part of Wiggin's team, whatever the final programme."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-looking-forward-to-2013-at-team-sky

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
All people have on sky is coincidences and guilt by association - that's it. Nothing concrete.

Rarely does an Aussie side with Poms when it comes to sport but sine I've read the same BS regarding Cadel, well I empathise.

Tall Poppy Syndrome or few willing to separate truth from lies to support an argument is alive and well

The truth will come out one way or another - BRING IT I say

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering myself how come Porte has no more ambition anymore. I thought he left Saxo because he wasn't going to get his chance due to Contador. And I was thinking highly of him for leaving Saxo.

Maybe Sky has a brainwashing drug.

Sep 29, 2012
TheEnoculator said:
I was wondering myself how come Porte has no more ambition anymore. I thought he left Saxo because he wasn't going to get his chance due to Contador. And I was thinking highly of him for leaving Saxo.

Maybe Sky has a brainwashing drug.

it's called money. does it really take a day/rider to sign these things, and do they really make them do this stuff on sundays?

or are they looking at blood profiles really carefully first?

TRENDING THREADS