• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Didn't all the Sky fans go home after Stage 5?

Their biggest fan is in mourning.

David Walsh @DavidWalshST

Porte loses almost nine minutes, from second on GC to oblivion. He finishes with G Thomas and Mikel Nieve. Sky can now only aim for stages.

The cheerful tone from last year is but a distant memory. Maybe there is still time to eke out one more book before the sky miracle is over for good.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
doperhopper said:
Don't underestimate Brailsfraud. Deliberately starting this season on lesser juice not to be too suspicious, show "human face" in Dauphine. Knowing what's going to happen (JTL bust medialized) he silently crashed out Vroom, now he'll take out little Richie (best way would be to mention some african infection to keep the style) and go full genius on (marginally more "friendly") Vuelta.

Hahahahahahahaha

Oh wait you're serious

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
How will he generate a book out this colossal failure?

Froome/Wiggins greatest hits? A farewell tour.

I have to say that Walsh has provided me with great entertainment for the past couple of years. He is the best of the bots. Thanks David.

Catwhoorg said:
It was Stage 7 when I was flying back to the US...

Look at David Walsh's twitter feed. They are all there asking their Bot leader to find out what's happened to Sky.

To get David to reply to you have to start with at least one tweet along the lines of "Great book David, The Climb, I just finished it, amazing reading!"

Reminds of the Lance days when the July fans couldn't understand why Armstrong wasn't winning the sprint stages :cool:

the sceptic said:
Froome/Wiggins greatest hits? A farewell tour.

I have to say that Walsh has provided me with great entertainment for the past couple of years. He is the best of the bots. Thanks David.

We've missed out on the Dawg breaking the forum two years running. And now I can't take the p1ss out of Walsh's next book! This forum will die! :mad:

So immediately after the race Nicolas Portal said Porte was ill - had been sick just before the climb began...but no mention of that by Brailsford.

Why didnt Brailsford or Porte say he had been feeling unwell ? If Porte was unwell why did he skulk into the bus after warm down ? nothing wrong with saying you,d caught the stomach bug thats affected a few other riders.

Seems like yet again they cant get the story in sync.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
So immediately after the race Nicolas Portal said Porte was ill - had been sick just before the climb began...but no mention of that by Brailsford.

Why didnt Brailsford or Porte say he had been feeling unwell ? If Porte was unwell why did he skulk into the bus after warm down ? nothing wrong with saying you,d caught the stomach bug thats affected a few other riders.

Seems like yet again they cant get the story in sync.

Porte clearly said he did not feel ill, he just couldn't handle the hear today after the satge

maxmartin said:
Porte clearly said he did not feel ill, he just couldn't handle the hear today after the satge

Portal was interviewed immediately after the stage (Eurosport) and stated that Porte was feeling sick at the foot of the climb. Nothing about heat or affects of the heat today. Portal said he was feeling ill.

Cycle Chic said:
Portal was interviewed immediately after the stage (Eurosport) and stated that Porte was feeling sick at the foot of the climb. Nothing about heat or affects of the heat today. Portal said he was feeling ill.

Nope. Richie himself:

“I don’t think I dealt with the heat very well. It’s one of those things. It’s a massive shame but we’ll see what happens tomorrow," Porte says

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the only people surprised by Richie's demise on this stage is the commentators and the Australian press...I think everyone else expected him to have a bad day whether it was this stage or another one.

Also I think there is a big difference between being a follower and a leader....Richie is a follower and most of his time gains had come after the misfortune of others.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
That question again: Where's Wiggo?

In a pub listening to some *crap* Weller/mod cover band whilst having a few beers.

*The cover band aren't crap it's just the rubbish material they have to work with.

Richie makes a good 2nd to last man. The role he had for Wiggo (even then he had the one bad day in 2012 IIRC). (which incidentally I think is the limit of G's abilities in the high mountains)

Last man for Froome is a stretch for his abilities it seems. Nieve would be much better.

This was waay too much.

BYOP88 said:
In a pub listening to some *crap* Weller/mod cover band whilst having a few beers.

*The cover band aren't crap it's just the rubbish material they have to work with.

Or even better, downing a few beers with Pete Townshend trying to convince him Quadrophenia is crap, Weller is better, cycling is fun (especially Paris-Roubaix) and quoting himself:

“Nibali is my favorite. If he rides like he did at last year’s Giro, if he’s in that shape, I think he’ll be almost unbeatable.”

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
But I thought he was going to go full genius and become the third Sky rider to win it in 3 years? I swear I read that somewhere, over and over again. I swear someone predicted he would win and the internet would burn. I must have been dreaming, like they were.

TRENDING THREADS