• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Horner never did a time trial like this, but I know where you're coming from. This was the time-trial performance of a life for Richie today. He was as fast as a fast Dumoulin. Craziness.

Porte has always been an accomplished TT rider

and it's not like he matched the 2017 Dumoulin

Horner never did a time trial like this, but I know where you're coming from. This was the time-trial performance of a life for Richie today. He was as fast as a fast Dumoulin. Craziness.
Pappy Horner never had strong time trials Porte has done plenty. He is visibly more relaxed this year. Amazing ride. No more suspicious than anyone else in the top 10. As for comparing to Dumoulin, well Dumo has been riding in support of Roglic for three weeks of course he isn't going to be fresh as Porte who was a protected rider.

Reactions: JosephK
He's been the third best climber for the majority of the race and he hasn't had to do constant domestique work like Dumoulin. If Porte was ever going to get a TT course that suited him this would be it. Horner was never the TT rider Richie has been and Horner was over 40 when he won the Vuelta. Don't see much similarities between the two. Porte only did what he always threatened to do, it just took him longer and he didn't have to do it against Froome, Thomas and a healthy Bernal none of whom were ever going to make the podium in the year's Tour based on recent form.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS