• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
fox1981 said:
thats a pretty long list.
leipheimer, hamilton, landis, kloden, rogers, evans, schleck, cunego, ulrich (is that in the last 15 yrs?), lemond (ok well over 15 yrs). just off the top of my head.

considering he hasnt ridden the tour, i dont see how riding in the support of contador will hurt him at all.

Perhaps my comparison wasn't clear - I'm starting from the presumption that Porte himself is not cut out to evolve into a genuine GT contender, hence he needs chances to target stages and placings. This is quite unlike most of those you mention,

Even so, who of those was riding in the service of their leader when they were given that chance? Evans wasn't even picked for the T-mobile TDF team, Klöden and Rogers absolutely flogged themselves for Ullrich, Bottle has done what exactly? Ullrich and Riis maybe, but the Riis of 1996 was never going to happen again, and Ullrich was younger then than Porte is now (and an obvious future star unlike Porte). The situation with Lemond/Hinault was again quite different as Lemond had also well and truly demonstrated star potential the previous year. Schleck again is different. Sure he rode for Sastre, but he was again much younger and his TT was godawful then.

dsut4392 said:
Perhaps my comparison wasn't clear - I'm starting from the presumption that Porte himself is not cut out to evolve into a genuine GT contender, hence he needs chances to target stages and placings. This is quite unlike most of those you mention,

Even so, who of those was riding in the service of their leader when they were given that chance? Evans wasn't even picked for the T-mobile TDF team, Klöden and Rogers absolutely flogged themselves for Ullrich, Bottle has done what exactly? Ullrich and Riis maybe, but the Riis of 1996 was never going to happen again, and Ullrich was younger then than Porte is now (and an obvious future star unlike Porte). The situation with Lemond/Hinault was again quite different as Lemond had also well and truly demonstrated star potential the previous year. Schleck again is different. Sure he rode for Sastre, but he was again much younger and his TT was godawful then.
Bottle helped Clentador win the Vuelta. And got 2nd himself.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
leave that to the clinic!:mad:

Why, im talking about prospects v what actually happens. People are saying can porte/cant porte, who knows. My reply was in response to a poster who said we wont know till his career is over. My point being if we had had this convo about armstrong at 23 none of us would thought he would win 7 tours.

Whats that got to do with the clinic. get a grip.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that Navarro and the other spaniards will come to SBS in case of Contador´s 2 years suspension. They have signed to help Contador. I only see Porte as a leader.... I know he´s a rookie but seems very determined.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Porte disappeared from Giro dell´Emilia. Only Fuglsang and Chris Sorensen did appear from SBS team. Maybe Porte is already thinking in the next season and is tired after Geelong´s stress. But the australian has a lot to show next year, because a huge pressure could be on him trying to be next year´s team leader. A year ban of Contador is almost guaranteed.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Transfer News: Richie Porte will remain with Saxo Bank for 2011
by Conal Andrews at 9:04 PM EST
Categories: Pro Cycling
Unable to end his contract a year early and change teams
Australian rider Richie Porte will once again compete in a Team Saxo Bank jersey next season. The talented 25 year old was trying to get out of the remaining year of his contract with the Danish team, but was told in recent days by general manager Bjarne Riis that he would be going nowhere. He’s now accepted that he is staying put, and appears happy with the decision.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...in-with-Saxo-Bank-for-2011.aspx#ixzz11xgTOkiv

Ferminal said:
http://player.sbs.com.au/cycling#/cycling_08/interviews/interviews/playlist/Richie-Porte-Interview-/ (geo-restricted?)

Richie with "Tomo".

Porte says he will be doing:

Romandie
California
Suisse
Tour (regardless of Contador).

I can only assume that comes after a heavy Ardennes campaign.

Looks a bit much for a 2nd-yearer.

Well replace Romandie with Pais Vasco and throw in Tirreno Adriatico and thats Andrews schedule last season, and Porte is only half a year younger than Andrew was then.

All right so its only Richies 2nd year but id say age is more important than years spent in peloton, and hes not going to be going as hard in the tour or in the Ardennes. Probably more so than at Cali though.

The Hitch said:
Well replace Romandie with Pais Vasco and throw in Tirreno Adriatico and thats Andrews schedule last season, and Porte is only half a year younger than Andrew was then.

All right so its only Richies 2nd year but id say age is more important than years spent in peloton, and hes not going to be going as hard in the tour or in the Ardennes. Probably more so than at Cali though.

Yeh but Andrew just waltzes around the back of the peloton looking for good nightspots, I'm not sure Richard has that natural ability and might fall into the trap of actually racing.

All right, so his tendency to party during races is a running gag. But in all seriousness he finished Pais Vasco in 13th. Not as bad as it seems, especially since Vasco was contested by a lot of top guys on top form so 13th a few minutes down, isnt bad for someone training.

Then in the ardennes he came 8th in FW and 5th in La doyenne which is far better than Porte can hope to achieve there.

Then in Cali he dropped a little but 25th is still respectable for someone partying all night. Only in TA with 85th was he at the back. In all the other races he was just behind the front guys.

And he managed it all right going into the Tour, so i think Richie can manage it to. He certainatly didnt have too many problems with recovery at the Giro, and these are not as hard, nor will he have so much pressure.

You're looking at results, not effort. Porte well may finish 15th in Romandie but it will probably be at max effort.

At no stage in T-A, Pais Vasco, California was Andy killing himself to hold on, or make the attack or bridge the gap.

But you look at Porte in even "sh1tty races" like ENECO and Britain and he is a racer.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
http://player.sbs.com.au/cycling#/cycling_08/interviews/interviews/playlist/Richie-Porte-Interview-/ (geo-restricted?)

Richie with "Tomo".

Romandie
California
Suisse

I think he would be a good tip for ToC but really I think he is doing too much racing going into the tour. He'll be doing the ardennes classics as well and will be stuffed come July.

btw, Why does Tomo ask the same or similar questions over and over again? He seriously gives me the ****s!

Ferminal said:

Richie with "Tomo".

Romandie
California
Suisse

Nope.
Looks like 3 "training" rides for the only race on the modern era calender.
Better to finish about 15th there, than to do much better anywhere else.

TRENDING THREADS