• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RideLondon-Surrey Classic (1.HC) 31/07

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
12 months ago, Boonen would have gone backwards in that sprint
ul3QHix.png

Re:

TMP402 said:
So if anyone was in any doubt, Thomas is able to hold off a peloton for tens of kms after doing some climbing. Not the same course in Rio, naturally, but he has a path to victory.

A low quality peloton for the most part and with 3 bergs - you know, the ones which Thomas excels on much more than long climbs. Very big difference. If he is in the front group over the last climb, sure. Will he be? I don't honk so. GB should be behind Froome, not Thomas. You are over-simplifying things massively

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
TMP402 said:
So if anyone was in any doubt, Thomas is able to hold off a peloton for tens of kms after doing some climbing. Not the same course in Rio, naturally, but he has a path to victory.

A low quality peloton for the most part and with 3 bergs - you know, the ones which Thomas excels on much more than long climbs. Very big difference. If he is in the front group over the last climb, sure. Will he be? I don't honk so. GB should be behind Froome, not Thomas. You are over-simplifying things massively

They should work for Yates, if he's not too tired. No way should they work for Froome in a race which requires tactical finesse and one-day experience even more than others. They can't try and do a 2012 and drive the race from the start, because that would be moronic, but it's also the only possible way Froome could win. The course isn't perfect for Thomas, but he can actually race classics.

Brullnux said:
TMP402 said:

Okay, dude.

Cannibal72 said:
Brullnux said:
TMP402 said:

They should work for Yates, if he's not too tired. No way should they work for Froome in a race which requires tactical finesse and one-day experience even more than others. They can't try and do a 2012 and drive the race from the start, because that would be moronic, but it's also the only possible way Froome could win. The course isn't perfect for Thomas, but he can actually race classics.

Froome has raced the Worlds many times and DNFed every single one. He's stunk up the place in every one day race that's not the Anatomic Jock Race. And he'll want to keep himself fresh for the TT.

It goes against every bone in their body, but they should play it by ear and not do any work on the front. Try and get Cummings into any early move, and have Stannard and Froome pull Thomas and Yates back if they're on the wrong side of any splits. Thomas and Yates will both have a reasonable chance if they're still in contention halfway up the last climb.

I think Thomas' attack in London-Surrey at the weekend was a dry run for Saturday. He was pulled back on Sunday once the peloton got organised, and the Olympic field will be much stronger, but the Olympic course is a lot harder and longer, and the peloton is likely to be blown to pieces by the time they get to the bottom of the last descent. If somehow he ends up ahead of a small group containing the likes of Bardet, Valverde, Nibali, Alaphilippe, then he has every chance.

I'm looking forward to this race. Tough course, small teams, intra- and inter-team intrigue, what's not to like?

News just posted on this site that this event will be a World Tour one for the next three years is good news and the quality of it may be better appreciated. This bit made me laugh a bit
This year, Tom Boonen won the event that was held along a tough course that started on The Mall in downtown London.

I never thought of The Mall as downtown London before.

vedrafjord said:
Cannibal72 said:
Brullnux said:
TMP402 said:

Froome has raced the Worlds many times and DNFed every single one. He's stunk up the place in every one day race that's not the Anatomic Jock Race. And he'll want to keep himself fresh for the TT.

It goes against every bone in their body, but they should play it by ear and not do any work on the front. Try and get Cummings into any early move, and have Stannard and Froome pull Thomas and Yates back if they're on the wrong side of any splits. Thomas and Yates will both have a reasonable chance if they're still in contention halfway up the last climb.

I think Thomas' attack in London-Surrey at the weekend was a dry run for Saturday. He was pulled back on Sunday once the peloton got organised, and the Olympic field will be much stronger, but the Olympic course is a lot harder and longer, and the peloton is likely to be blown to pieces by the time they get to the bottom of the last descent. If somehow he ends up ahead of a small group containing the likes of Bardet, Valverde, Nibali, Alaphilippe, then he has every chance.

I'm looking forward to this race. Tough course, small teams, intra- and inter-team intrigue, what's not to like?

I think Thomas is in line to be team leader for the race, he dommed for Froome throughout the TdF, forsaking any personal glory, with Froome repaying the favour and maybe acting as a foil to take pressure off Geraint.

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

[/quote]

I think Thomas is in line to be team leader for the race, he dommed for Froome throughout the TdF, forsaking any personal glory, with Froome repaying the favour and maybe acting as a foil to take pressure off Geraint.[/quote]

What if Froome attacks to take the pressure off G to follow and it sticks.

We have just seen how Froome went down the Col de Perysoude ;)

I think Thomas is in line to be team leader for the race, he dommed for Froome throughout the TdF, forsaking any personal glory, with Froome repaying the favour and maybe acting as a foil to take pressure off Geraint.[/quote]

What if Froome attacks to take the pressure off G to follow and it sticks.

We have just seen how Froome went down the Col de Perysoude ;)[/quote]

I think Froome taking part to win is just a distraction, it's the TT that he's after.

TRENDING THREADS