• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2022

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think BORA did anything wrong at all, but if UAE wants to keep him happy and motivated it wouldn't be the best idea to make the same kind of promise. There would be no problem in saying he only gets a spot if he delivers prior to the race.
Though it will always be difficult for him to get into the Tour squad, unless Pogacar is unavailable.

Yeah, I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Jumbo Visma announced that Primoz Roglix and Jonas vingegaard will be joint leaders at the Tour.

WVA will go for the green jersey.

Kuss, Kruijsvijk and Dennis confirmed.

Giro team will be lead by Dumoulin and Foss.

Gesink and Kruijsvijk confirmed for Vuelta.

Personally I think it's a really stupid decision.
What is, and why? Roglic / Vingegaard makes sense, both are suited to the Tour, but I would assume that Roglic is option 1. His record in French stage races lately is not good wrt crashes.

I also like Dumoulin and Foss at the Giro but don't really have high hopes for either. Can't send Tom to the Tour I don't think.

What is, and why? Roglic / Vingegaard makes sense, both are suited to the Tour, but I would assume that Roglic is option 1. His record in French stage races lately is not good wrt crashes.

I also like Dumoulin and Foss at the Giro but don't really have high hopes for either. Can't send Tom to the Tour I don't think.
Vingo needs to prove he can handle going into a season as a leader first as protected rider feels fine to me but a co-leader feels a bit premature.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So many races/stages end in sprints. I don't think it hurts to have 2 or 3 sprinters in a team. It's how a team like QS manages to get a ridicilous amount of wins year in, year out. It's one of the reasons why Alpecin was so succesful last year.

Also neither one of them won a WT race last year, so calling them top tier sprinters might be a bit of an overstatement.

That's true, however teams like Alpecin and Quickstep can devote entire teams to their sprinters whereas UAE will be focusing on GC. I can see why Ackermann wanted to join ($$) but don't get what's in it for UAE. They signed Hodeg too.

Jumbo Visma announced that Primoz Roglix and Jonas vingegaard will be joint leaders at the Tour.

View: https://twitter.com/JumboVismaRoad/status/1480916562928353284?t=f8BLqps0x14ulcBoIkxsCQ&s=19

I feel like they're getting ahead of themselves with Dennis, he's not exactly the most consistent guy around. Also I hope they're not having him fill the Tony Martin role.

So also Ackermann announced today his schedule.

He will focus more on his sprint ability and less on his mountain ability. He is scheduled for the classics and later for the vuelta.

Challenge Mallorca
Étoile de Bessèges
Clasica Almeria
Volta ao Algarve
Opening Weekend
Tirreno-Adriatico
Classics

The spring doesn´t look that bad. But after that?
Well, didn´t have much hope in a good schedule for him after his move to UAE and it became true. In smaller races he will get his chances for the win and for the vuelta. Wait for the vuelta? Isn´t that the race where Pogacar, Almeida and Ayuso also announced in the last days, that they will participate?

Is Ayuso already confirmed for La Vuelta?

He would be one year younger than Pogačar during his debut in 2019 so even if it happens I think that he would have just a domestique role.

As for Ackermann I think the Giro makes more sense with 2 riders to help him and the rest of the team (Costa, Formolo, etc) to support Almeida.

Last edited:
Vingo needs to prove he can handle going into a season as a leader first as protected rider feels fine to me but a co-leader feels a bit premature.
When you have a rider who finished 2nd in Tour de France, dropping Pogacar on Mont Ventoux, you ask for trouble and sour atmosphere within the team if you don't let that guy lead big races. He was Pogacar's closest competitor at last year's TdF, there's nothing more left to prove for him to deserve co-leadership. He's also 7 years younger than Roglic, so if you have any long term vision for the team, you don't want to risk making your better long term prospect feel unappreciated.

That seems like a long break to prepare for Il Lombardia ;)
He is gonna be in Vuelta 90 % ;) They said they want a good TTT result with a lot of dutch riders. Gotta have the Dutch champ for sure ;)
So Jumbo for Vuelta would be:
Roglic
Dumoulin
Dennis
Kruijswijk
Van Emden
Affini
Foss
Kuss

I don't see Vingegaard doing Tour-Vuelta double unless something happens. Van Aert would also not do Vuelta. With Pog coming to Vuelta, I don't think you can afford to not take Sepp and he is quite decent in ITTs when fresh.

Is Ayuso already confirmed for La Vuelta?

He would be one year younger than Pogačar during his debut in 2019 so even if it happens I think that he would have just a domestique role.

As for Ackermann I think the Giro makes more sense with 2 riders to help him and the rest of the team (Costa, Formolo, etc) to support Almeida.
You are right the reporting about Ayuso had been a bit contradictory. Yesterday he said that "he is not scheduled for the vuelta. But you should never say never."

Well Giro perhaps would make more sense for Ackermann, but it seems that he is not scheduled, so that UAE will go full GC at the giro for Almeida.

You are right the reporting about Ayuso had been a bit contradictory. Yesterday he said that "he is not scheduled for the vuelta. But you should never say never."

Well Giro perhaps would make more sense for Ackermann, but it seems that he is not scheduled, so that UAE will go full GC at the giro for Almeida.

Gaviria might be included for the Giro. :)

• Wow

View: https://twitter.com/JumboVismaRoad/status/1480916562928353284?t=f8BLqps0x14ulcBoIkxsCQ&s=19

Yep, Rogla should've been higher in hierarchy, Van Aert shouldn't chase green while team is fighting for yellow.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Yep, Rogla should've been higher in hierarchy, Van Aert shouldn't chase green while team is fighting for yellow.
Van Aert will be chasing yellow jerseys himself ...like he was last year. Things will get comical right quick .... even if he takes yellow on day one (which I doubt ... Ganna will probably be hard to beat)

I think Van Aert won't be content with just one day in the leader's jersey, either.

Reactions: Eeslliw
Imagine it‘s Fleche Wallonne, and it‘s MVDP vs Alaphilippe. Imagine Mathieu then is as strong as he was at Strade Bianche 2021. Alaphilippe would not have any chance then.

MVDP and WVA, they both could win all five monuments.
Mur de Huy is bit too steep and long for both VDP and WVA, I think they can't win against the likes of Alaphilippe, Roglic, Pogacar by simply waiting for the last climb. But going earlier by one of these two, or even better both, would create chaos on the road. Imagine these two plus Evenepoel escaping on penultimate Mur, who would've catch that?! They should definitely try Fleche Wallonne in the future. Liege also, they have even better chance there.

Regarding winning all five Monuments, we had few dozen's of riders who could potentially do it, yet only two actually did it. That says all.

Mur de Huy is bit too steep and long for both VDP and WVA, I think they can't win against the likes of Alaphilippe, Roglic, Pogacar by simply waiting for the last climb.
For WVA I agree, but for VDP I would really like to see it one time. Tirreno stage 5 and TDF stage 2 last year showed that he is one hell of a puncheur on short punchy climbs. Only when they are longer then 10 minutes he begins to get problems..