• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2022

So after the giro and the tour presentation the teams start to plan the next season, so we can expect the teams to communicate their schedules for 2022 during the upcoming weeks and as in the last years I think it is good to have a thread where we collect the information.

Today Simon Yates announced that it´s possible that he will go another time for GC at the giro and then goes stage hunting at the tour.

I think his GC plan for the giro is a good one, he wouldn´t have a chance at the the tour against Pogacar and Roglic and at the giro there arne´t a lot of TT km, which is good for him.

My understanding about the big GC guys for next the next season is right now the following:

Pogacar: Tour
Roglic: Tour
Bernal: Tour
Almeida: Giro
Evenepoel: Giro or Vuelta

Carapaz: Giro
Gaudu: Giro and Tour?
Lopez: Giro
Landa: Giro

Evenepoel seems safe for the Vuelta.
Is this a personal prognostic or did the riders already communicated something? :)
I also see it likely, that Lopez and Landa will go for Giro CG next year.
For Carapaz I think it´s more likely that Ineos will send him together with Bernal to the tour, but we will see..
Gaudu depends still a lot of FDJ faith in Pinot. Demare didn´t deliver this year at the tour, so I don´t think that he will get another shot..

For Jumbo Visma
Roglic-Tour
Kuss-Tour/Vuelta??(Giro/Vuelta unlikely)
Kruiswijk-Vuelta?(Maybe Tour)
Dumoulin-Giro most likely
Vingegaard-Tour
I heard in their training camp in Girona in december, they will decide who is going where.

Generally I agree with your prognostic, only the lack of TT km at the giro doesn´t seem that good for Dumoulin. But it´s also true, that the Giro will more or less be his only chance as a GC leader this year. At the tour they will surely ride for Roglic and perhaps Vingegaard as a co-leader.

So after the giro and the tour presentation the teams start to plan the next season, so we can expect the teams to communicate their schedules for 2022 during the upcoming weeks and as in the last years I think it is good to have a thread where we collect the information.

Today Simon Yates announced that it´s possible that he will go another time for GC at the giro and then goes stage hunting at the tour.

I think his GC plan for the giro is a good one, he wouldn´t have a chance at the the tour against Pogacar and Roglic and at the giro there arne´t a lot of TT km, which is good for him.

My understanding about the big GC guys for next the next season is right now the following:

Pogacar: Tour
Roglic: Tour
Bernal: Tour
Almeida: Giro
Evenepoel: Giro or Vuelta

Not sure if he is still a "big GC" guy, but the only other one that confirmed anything was Nibali, doing the Giro (not surprising).

I'm expecting to see Vingegaard with Roglic at the Tour, for the numbers game; Bernal at the Tour, with possibly Carapaz at the Giro for GC; Landa, MAL, Caruso, S. Yates and a few others at the Giro. The French still mostly at the Tour - I can't see Gaudu, Martin or any other French rider with GC ambitions jeopardising a good performance at the Tour to do the Giro, other than Pinot, because it is unclear how much of a GC GT man he still is.

Is this a personal prognostic or did the riders already communicated something? :)
I also see it likely, that Lopez and Landa will go for Giro CG next year.
For Carapaz I think it´s more likely that Ineos will send him together with Bernal to the tour, but we will see..
Gaudu depends still a lot of FDJ faith in Pinot. Demare didn´t deliver this year at the tour, so I don´t think that he will get another shot..

Taken from PCS - could be they are just speculating themselves, but I think they must have some more hints than just "I think".

My imagination would be Martinez to the Tour as a helper for Bernal... and Carapaz gets his own chance at the Giro.

I think Gaudu to the Giro for GC and, if he still has something left, as a stage hunter to the Tour makes some sense. I think he really has a good chance of a Giro podium if neither Pogacar nor Roglic nor Bernal are there, maybe, if everything goes perfectly for him, he could even be in contention for the win, the amount of time trialing is very low. Sure, he's French, and the importance of the Tour in comparison to the Giro should not be played down, but if the others don't all crash out he would probably not get better than 6th or 7th there, especially with the more decent amount of time trialing. So maybe better take that GT opportunity now (in my opinion).

Reactions: noob
Valverde has ruled out Le Tour but he hasn't really revealed much else. Vuelta, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and Ardennes are basically a certainty. Perhaps Il Giro?

Froome will have recovered from Bilharzia so a 5th Tour win is pretty much secured.

Yes Froome will be able to go for a 5th Tour.

Fuglsang wants to "go for stages or the mountains jersey in the Tour or in other Grand Tours."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fu...danish-grand-depart-after-disappointing-2021/

So Froome will win the Tour with Fuglsang winning a stage or two.

Ganna saying he likes both the Tour and the Giro TT's is not really telling.I think he should do the Tour for the Maillot Jaune on day 1.Anyways, Ganna is better on longer TT's
It's PR stuff like Nibali saying that the Giro looks really hard, being Italians means they can't throw *** at Vegni even if the route is total ***.

Ganna saying he likes both the Tour and the Giro TT's is not really telling.I think he should do the Tour for the Maillot Jaune on day 1.Anyways, Ganna is better on longer TT's
I'd say Ganna almost certain will go to the Tour. Maybe the Giro too, but the tour for sure. With Moscon gone and the other senior riders aging Ineos are almost forced to take to the Tour IMHO.

Reactions: Sandisfan
^ Likely not Carapaz' choice. Carapaz wanted to race the Tour instead, according to Beppe Conti.

Ganna is indeed a certainty for the TDF, if healthy. Has a great shot at yellow, too.

So...

Bernal (sole GC leader, as per Beppe Conti)
Martinez
Castroviejo
Kwiatkowski
Porte
Ganna

are all very likely.

Who else? Not a very British lineup so far. If they think Thomas will fall in line and can be bothered to race himself into some decent form, I suppose you could add him too. He's still miles better than Tao Hart.

I don't know about Rowe. Could be another OTL.

Yates probably wants to have at least a free role to target stage wins if nothing else. And there were issues between him Bernal at the Vuelta (which they denied, of course)

^ Likely not Carapaz' choice. Carapaz wanted to race the Tour instead, according to Beppe Conti.

Ganna is indeed a certainty for the TDF, if healthy. Has a great shot at yellow, too.

So...

Bernal (sole GC leader, as per Beppe Conti)
Martinez
Castroviejo
Kwiatkowski
Porte
Ganna

are all very likely.

Who else? Not a very British lineup so far. If they think Thomas will fall in line and can be bothered to race himself into some decent form, I suppose you could add him too. He's still miles better than Tao Hart.

I don't know about Rowe. Could be another OTL.

Yates probably wants to have at least a free role to target stage wins if nothing else. And there were issues between him Bernal at the Vuelta (which they denied, of course)
Well I am still not convinced, that Carapaz will ride the giro instead of the tour.
Ok it´s certain that Bernal will ride the tour, but for me it´s still more likely that they will go with both to the tour to tackle the big price.
Both already won the giro, so both have nothing to prove there anymore..
I think it´s more likely that they will give Thomas, Yates, Tao or Martinez a chance for the giro win..

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)

TRENDING THREADS