• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2022

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The spring schedule for Higuita is out:

NC
Strade Bianche
Volta Catalunya
País Vasco
Ardennes Classics

The vuelta as big target later..

I think in Catalunya and Pais Vasco we will get already an idea where he stands after two weaker years..
It's peculiar that a climber of this quality (healthy and not inexperienced anymore) is not scheduled to ride either Giro or TdF. But maybe being fresh for the Vuelta will pay off like to many before him.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
It's peculiar that a climber of this quality (healthy and not inexperienced anymore) is not scheduled to ride either Giro or TdF. But maybe being fresh for the Vuelta will pay off like to many before him.
Higuita is one of the few Colombians who has a history of underperforming in cold, rainy weather (maybe because he comes from the lowlands) so not sending him to the Giro makes sense. Bora are also stacked with many gc riders now, so him going for the Vuelta makes sense.

Higuita is one of the few Colombians who has a history of underperforming in cold, rainy weather (maybe because he comes from the lowlands) so not sending him to the Giro makes sense. Bora are also stacked with many gc riders now, so him going for the Vuelta makes sense.
I can see the logic too and I think he will likely be their leader for the Spring hilly classics along with Schachmann so having a clearly defined early season block building for the classics then a rest and reset towards the Vuelta as one of the few top 10 candidates not already having a GT in their legs in 2022 could bear some big results if he gets the form peaking right.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Buchmann schedule until the giro:

Mallorca Challenge
Ruta del Sol
Tirreno Adriatico
Pais Vasco
Giro d'Italia

Keldermann schedule until the giro:

Valencia
Ruta del Sol
Faun-Ardèche Classic
Drome Classic
Tirreno-Adriatico
Tour of the Alps
Giro d'Italia

Let´s see what both achieve this year..

I can see the logic too and I think he will likely be their leader for the Spring hilly classics along with Schachmann so having a clearly defined early season block building for the classics then a rest and reset towards the Vuelta as one of the few top 10 candidates not already having a GT in their legs in 2022 could bear some big results if he gets the form peaking right.

This is a complex sentence.

To be honest... I think he's their third or fourth best option for those Ardennes races. Maybe he gets a shot at the Mur de Huy which should suit him (not shown in previous results), but for Amstel and LBL he could be at best in an early attack or even a flat out domestique. Schachmann is their No. 1 Option and Konrad is also a very constant Top 20 Finisher in those races. Personally I'm really keen to see what Vlasov could do at LBL. The race could suit him, but of course he's unproven there. Last but not least for a Amstel I wouldn't underestimate Schelling. If he's able to make one big step he could be able to compete in the Final. He was burnt early last year in a tactical move after coming 4th in Brabantse Pjil.

For Higuita I think having Top 10 results in Catalunya and Pais Vasco would be really great and of course a massive autumn with La Vuelta and the Italian classics. He's for sure a good rider but I'm not really a believer in his skills as a rider for the northern european classics and th GT GCs.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Such unfortunate news from Colombia.
It will affect more than one rider's schedule, I believe.

If there's anything positive in it, it's there's enough time for the reshaping of riders' programs.
2018 season composition brought out some elite double contenders and the backup Tour champion. Yesterday's accident changes the complexion of the Tour field and it's shame the riders' palmares aren't that full yet to spark them into adventure.

Such unfortunate news from Colombia.
It will affect more than one rider's schedule, I believe.

If there's anything positive in it, it's there's enough time for the reshaping of riders' programs.
2018 season composition brought out some elite double contenders and the backup Tour champion. Yesterday's accident changes the complexion of the Tour field and it's shame the riders' palmares aren't that full yet to spark them into adventure.
Well with the last news, I think it´s unrealistic that Bernal will ride a race in 2022. So sad, really looked forward to his tour battle against Pogacar and Roglic and also in earlier races...
The peleton will miss an important rider in 2022, thats for sure..

For the rider´s schedules I think it will mostly effect his teammates schedules. The most obvious thought could be to switch Carapaz from the giro to the tour. For the giro then possibly another leader (Porte, TAO, Martinez or Yates)

Last edited:
Well with the last news, I think it´s unrealistic that Bernal will ride a race in 2022. So sad, really looked forward to his tour battle against Pogacar and Roglic and also in earlier races...

For the rider´s schedules I think it will mostly effect his teammates schedules. The most obvious thought could be to switch Carapaz from the giro to the tour. For the giro then possibly another leader (Porte, TAO, Martinez or Yates)
Complicated situation for the Grenadiers.
Bernal was supposed to be their mountain card. Carapaz just wasn't up there last season.
Thomas' shares gained in value.

With Cobbles and the potential crosswinds stage(s) it's not a great Tour route for Carapaz, if I have to be honest. They could go for the first yellow jersey, 4-5 stage wins and someone in the lower end of the top 10, but in the end it probably comes down to what their main sponsor wants. It's probably better than what they got out of the last Tour, wearing the yellow jersey and multiple stage wins gives you more media coverage and exposure than finishing 3rd on the gc with no stage wins for the team.

Someone is bound to have a good race and be in great form. Turning into a GC-contender as the race progresses.

There is always riders that are good, but maybe isnt spoken about before the race that ends up having a great race. Happens in almost every GT.

Ineos have a lot of riders where the potential is there for great things. Its possible.

• Wow
We might just be underestimating Geraint Thomas. If he stays upright hè might just have a similar podium shot as Carapaz with this Tour route.
He's probably the only Ineos guy who I have some faith in when it comes to surviving the cobbles, that could be a big problem for Dani Martinez, who otherwise should do well on such a route.
I'd keep the Giro guys at the Giro and maybe I'll add Adam Yates as a stagehunter for the Tour. Nobody really expects them to control the race and fight for the overall win, so they can have a guy go for stages/help from the breakaway.

He's probably the only Ineos guy who I have some faith in when it comes to surviving the cobbles, that could be a big problem for Dani Martinez, who otherwise should do well on such a route.
I'd keep the Giro guys at the Giro and maybe I'll add Adam Yates as a stagehunter for the Tour. Nobody really expects them to control the race and fight for the overall win, so they can have a guy go for stages/help from the breakaway.

I agree, i would also keep the roster the same and maybe add Carapaz of hè feels good after the Giro or otherwise Fraile. I would keep Yates fit for the Vuelta.

Martinez Will probably lose quite a bit in the cobbled stage, but could end up in the top-10. But an inform Thomas could podium in this Tour i think.

I don't think that Carapaz has a shot at winning the Tour, but the Tour is the Tour, and he is INEOS best chance of grabbing a podium - which, for a GC team with INEOS budget, is the least they should do to make it a decent season, imho. So, send Carapaz to Tour, replace him with Adam in the Giro, where they still have TGH and the competition is less ferocious.

TRENDING THREADS