• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider under most pressure to succeed

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm not talking specifically at this instant in time but rather generally with regards their career over the past 12 months and next 2 to 3 years.

Is it Boonen, a superstar in his own cycling mad country? Has he already done enough or does that just make it worse?

Contador: again an incredible record but if he doesn't win every GT he enters...Also how much will his next contract be worth?

Cavendish: The main man of the biggest budget team. Anything less than victory in every sprint is failure and yet to win Green.

Andy Shleck: Been talked up for a few seasons but yet to win a GT. Just about to have a team built around him.

Someone else. (and you I suppose it could be a relative unknown just trying to stay in the game year after year)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Boonen for sure. As you say: Belgians treat cyclists as superstars, that doesn't happen anywhere else.
Jurgen VDB would be second now.

Maybe Vino also, don't know how Kazakhs look at it though,

May 15, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Boonen for sure. As you say: Belgians treat cyclists as superstars, that doesn't happen anywhere else.

no Gilbert?

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

We've been really good at keeping expectations for VDB low, actually.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
We've been really good at keeping expectations for VDB low, actually.

Do you think people have learnt something from the tragic case Franky VDB?

Seeing VDB painted all over the roads again certainly stirs some emotions inside, I can't find the word at moment to describe them though.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Seems to be over now, though. I read about him aiming for the podium next year, and I think: oh God there we go again.

But that's all him talking. All Tour long it was "ok he's fifth now, but if he's top 10 at the end he'll have done great". We put way more pressure on our classics men (especially the Flemish classics), with some press saying that we weren't good enough this year, and that none of the Belgians trained enough, just because Cancellara ripped us (and everyone else) to shreds. Some considered 2nd in MSR, 2nd in RVV and 5th in PR for Boonen to be a complete failure, which is absolutely mad.

It depends on what type of pressure we're talking about. I doubt that riders are too concenrned with pressure from the fans. The only thing that really matters to them is pressure from themselves and from the team that pays their bills.

I would say that Wiggins is probably the number one candidate especially after his showing in the Tour.

Sastre also seems to have a lot of pressure on him from the team but I think that goes for Cervélo in general. They seem to have some pretty high expectations on their team after last years good first season.

Evans ought to have some high pressure on him from BMC as well since he's by far their biggest star and best shot at big results but so far he is delivering which eases the pressure a lot I imagine.

Contador will have immense pressure in the new Riis team since it seems that all other stars might leave the team. If Cancellara, who is still under contract, stays put then they will share that pressure.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Wiggo cuz Sky has put a lot of money on him and everybody was expecting a podium this year...

Manxman cuz his big mouth... if he was more humble the press would love him and instead of attacking they were cheering him...

Contador cuz if he doesn't drop everybody in a climb he is not in the form, he is worthless, everybody is always expecting from him to do the same that he did in Verbier in '09...

Boonen cuz in Belgium they are crazy! :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tom Boonen.

This is the first season since 2003 that he's without at least one big victory.

2004: Ghent-Wevelgem, 2 stages in TdF, etc
2005: Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix, 2 stages in TdF, World championship road race.
2006: Ronde van Vlaanderen, 4 days in the maillot Jaune during the TdF.
2007: 2 stages in TdF + Green jersey
2008: Paris-Roubaix, 2 stages in the Vuelta a Espana
2009: Paris-Roubaix
2010: Nada

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
It depends on what type of pressure we're talking about. I doubt that riders are too concenrned with pressure from the fans. The only thing that really matters to them is pressure from themselves and from the team that pays their bills.

Type of pressure is crucial imo. With regards fan pressure i would say Boonen but from a sporting and personal persective he has nothing left to prove.

If it's pressure caused by possibly unrealistic expectation then Andy Shleck is in atough position. He "has" to win the TdF but with Contador around that may never be possible.

From a purely team/sporting/personal perpective I'd make an argument for Cav on the basis that the team have put all their eggs in his basket when it comes to the big successes and have let a number of other hugely talented riders leave. (or not use them) Other riders give up any chance of personal success and the only thing that is acceptable is winning. As has been said already three dF stages would be viewed as failure.

Of course a similar argument could be given for Contador but the fact that there are so many sprints actually makes things harder not easier given the expectation to always win, sprints are also chaotic and hard to control so being the fastest isn't always enough whereas usually the strongest will win a GT.

I'm also from GB not Spain so am completely biased.:D

Mind you I suppose real pressure is a pregnant wife, a mortgage and no guaranteed salary for the next year

saganftw said:
well sagan may be pressured only by his team and himself...ppl in slovakia dont give a sjit about cycling so theres no pressure at all from "public"

People like what they are told to like. Cycling may not be big in Slovakia, but the second he starts winning classics or stage races, the media will see thatr money can be made off him and he will become a big name in Slovakia.

imo best answer so far has been wiggins, because of the contract and hype he has been given, and because his chances of success are small. He can win prologues if cancellara isnt ther and I guess if the right people miss out on this years tt wc he has a chance at that, but what else can he win.

oh and ebh being called the next big thing a lot. Surely theres pressure for him to prove he isnt totaly overhyped.