• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders at 2010 tour

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Personally looking at the parcours and the riders coming to the tour I think this could be one of the best in years for gc.
Guess who's coming/MOST LIKELY COMING

RADIOSHACK
Armstrong
Leipheimer
Kloden

ASTANA
Contador

EUSKATEL
Sanchez

BMC (likely)
Evans

CAISSE D EPARGNE
Valverde

LIQUIGAS
Basso
Pellizotti
Kreuziger
Nibali

Garmin Transitions
Vandevelde
Wiggins

SAXO BANK
A Schleck
F Schleck

RABOBANK
Gesink
Menchov (not sure)

Cervelo
Sastre (not sure)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Personally looking at the parcours and the riders coming to the tour I think this could be one of the best in years for gc.

Why? If Contador is there, he'll win it in a dominant way. If he's not there Schlecklet will win it.

Most of the names on your list either had the chance (Menchov, Sastre, Evans, shack etc) or will get the chance in a couple of years (kreuziger, Gesink)

I am really looking forward to the Omloop het Nieuwsblad

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
is it likely bmc will be there? there a shoo in for the classics, but not the tour id say?

also katusha - kirchen
sky-boassan hagen

having 2 world champs, 1 who is the current world champ, a 2x runner up plus a lot of other high quality riders. Lelangue has been in talks with the tour de france organisers and their seems to be a lot going for them. i think it's reasonably likely

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
having 2 world champs, 1 who is the current world champ, a 2x runner up plus a lot of other high quality riders. Lelangue has been in talks with the tour de france organisers and their seems to be a lot going for them. i think it's reasonably likely

until next march, i dont think its fair to say who is most likely to go. ballan wont exactly light up the eyes of the tour organisers, didnt do much in the tour. if sky dont win any races early doors theres a chance they may not go.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
if sky dont win any races early doors theres a chance they may not go.

Sky have a Pro Tour license which means they automatically go. BMC are only Continental Tour which means they have to fight for wild-cards with people like Cervelo who have a much longer history and a previous tour winner in Sastre

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Sky have a Pro Tour license which means they automatically go. BMC are only Continental Tour which means they have to fight for wild-cards with people like Cervelo who have a much longer history and a previous tour winner in Sastre

sky still have to earn a wildcard, protour licence doesnt get you an entry into the grand tours. sky will be fighting with teams such as bmc. there could be room for both, but not necessarily

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The organisers will have to look at what will sky bring to the tour. NO GC contender unless you include lovkist and no sprinter.

I think Lelangue's relationship with ASO may come in handy.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The organisers will have to look at what will sky bring to the tour. NO GC contender unless you include lovkist and no sprinter.

I think Lelangue's relationship with ASO may come in handy.

brailsford and sunderland have had numerous meetings with aso, doesnt mean owt. boassan hagen is more likely to win stages and animate the race more than anyone else on bmc, plus sky have two french riders, might make a difference. bmc might have some though?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
brailsford and sunderland have had numerous meetings with aso, doesnt mean owt. boassan hagen is more likely to win stages and animate the race more than anyone else on bmc, plus sky have two french riders, might make a difference. bmc might have some though?

yes, but lelangue is a former collegue of the aso boys. which stages do you think boasson hagen will win. having the rainbow jersey contend for the yellow jersey is a big marketing tool and sky have no real guy who can win or be up their to contend/win a jersey. bmc do.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
yes, but lelangue is a former collegue of the aso boys. which stages do you think boasson hagen will win. having the rainbow jersey contend for the yellow jersey is a big marketing tool and sky have no real guy who can win or be up their to contend/win a jersey. bmc do.

contador, schleck are so far ahead its like boassan hagen competing with cav as evans competing with contador and schleck. we'll have to agree to disagree as i dont want to argue. id personally like to see as many teams possible, but thats not gonna happen

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
contador, schleck are so far ahead its like boassan hagen competing with cav as evans competing with contador and schleck. we'll have to agree to disagree as i dont want to argue. id personally like to see as many teams possible, but thats not gonna happen

then i guess they should just all not turn up to the tour and give up. in ac's 2 victories, he's been very fortunate with the luck he's had. also how he's held great form throughout the past 2.5 years amazes me. as much as i think ac is far better than lance, or anyone else, they would definetly go in their with a game plan to win.

A

Anonymous

More competitive

I pick Contador to win, and to put on a show doing it, but I also agree the GC might be more interesting. Last year a bad day in the Team Time Trial ruined the race for some guys. A lot of top riders also rode the Giro, but aren't lining up to race it next year. Add the cobbles, some serious climbs, fresher legs and Basso, plus a year more of physical maturity for young riders like Schleck, and I think it will be fun. But I always believe that in December.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I do think the which teams will be invited to next years tour is very interesting and worthy of discussion. I can see the final choices for wildcards coming down to a perm 2 out of 3 between BMC, Sky and Vacansoleil.

I may have some basic facts wrong (and if so will welcome corrections) but my current understanding is:

*The current agreement between the UCI and ASO is that the 17 highest ranked ProTour teams from the previous year get automatic invites.

*There will be 16 PT teams with 2009 rankings in 2010 and thus will all get automatic invites.

*Although PT neither Radio Shak or Sky have a ranking for 09 and thus need wildcards.

*Prudhomme has hinted but not confirmed there may be 22 teams starting in 2010.

*Within 24 hours of the UCI announcing that BBox and Cofidis would not have their PT licences renewed the ASO guaranteed both teams invites. (Now at 18 teams)

*The invite for Radio Shack is a no-brainer. Love him or hate him Lance means big media coverage and thus money. They will be there. (19)

*Similarly Cevello. Why would they possibly exclude the 08 Maillot Jaune and the 09 Maillot Vert, barring a major doping scandle? (20)

*Barring a strong reason to exclude one of the 16 PT teams referred to above that will be it unless there are 22 starters.

If there are 22 starters we can look at other teams.

BMC: Are clearly going places in the long term and are building for the future. The presence of the current Rainbow Jersey (and previous one) plus double runner up must make them appealing.

Sky: Barring and exceptional performance in the Spring Classics and other early season races, don't really bring much to the table except for one factor: Murdoch! Whilst News Corp. only trade under the Sky brand in the UK and Italy (To the best of my knowledge) they are one of the (if not the) dominant media company in the world. Media brings money and money talks.

Vacansoleil: They had a brilliant end of season, Bozic winning a stage at the Vuelta over the likes of Grieple and Farrar and a 3rd at Paris-Tours, Westra attacking on most of that races flat stages and Hoogaland attacking on most of the hilly stages plus getting into the top 20 at the Worlds and Lombardia. Add in the Filleu brothers and the fact Brice has said he wants to target KOM next year (one thing the French would love almost as much a French Tour victory is a French KOM!) and they are a deserving case.

Also given that they won the Team Classification in Spain and had at least one man in almost every breakaway, plus Mosquera on the squad, I would like to think that Xacobeo Galicia would be in contention. Although from what I read on CN a few weeks ago they seem to be scaling back a little for next season and mostly focusing on Spanish races and so may not be all that interested in a wildcard for the Tour.

There is also Saur-Sojasun to consider; newly promoted to Pro Continental but ASO does love French teams to be present so maybe?

Back to my original contention: I suspect there will be 22 teams and it will come down two out of three between BMC, Sky and Vac. I think BMC and Sky will get the nod although, despite my national bias, on a sporting basis alone Sky is the one (who for 2010 at least) should lose out.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
I do think the which teams will be invited to next years tour is very interesting and worthy of discussion. I can see the final choices for wildcards coming down to a perm 2 out of 3 between BMC, Sky and Vacansoleil.

I may have some basic facts wrong (and if so will welcome corrections) but my current understanding is:

*The current agreement between the UCI and ASO is that the 17 highest ranked ProTour teams from the previous year get automatic invites.

*There will be 16 PT teams with 2009 rankings in 2010 and thus will all get automatic invites.

*Although PT neither Radio Shak or Sky have a ranking for 09 and thus need wildcards.

*Prudhomme has hinted but not confirmed there may be 22 teams starting in 2010.

*Within 24 hours of the UCI announcing that BBox and Cofidis would not have their PT licences renewed the ASO guaranteed both teams invites. (Now at 18 teams)

*The invite for Radio Shack is a no-brainer. Love him or hate him Lance means big media coverage and thus money. They will be there. (19)

*Similarly Cevello. Why would they possibly exclude the 08 Maillot Jaune and the 09 Maillot Vert, barring a major doping scandle? (20)

*Barring a strong reason to exclude one of the 16 PT teams referred to above that will be it unless there are 22 starters.

If there are 22 starters we can look at other teams.

BMC: Are clearly going places in the long term and are building for the future. The presence of the current Rainbow Jersey (and previous one) plus double runner up must make them appealing.

Sky: Barring and exceptional performance in the Spring Classics and other early season races, don't really bring much to the table except for one factor: Murdoch! Whilst News Corp. only trade under the Sky brand in the UK and Italy (To the best of my knowledge) they are one of the (if not the) dominant media company in the world. Media brings money and money talks.

Vacansoleil: They had a brilliant end of season, Bozic winning a stage at the Vuelta over the likes of Grieple and Farrar and a 3rd at Paris-Tours, Westra attacking on most of that races flat stages and Hoogaland attacking on most of the hilly stages plus getting into the top 20 at the Worlds and Lombardia. Add in the Filleu brothers and the fact Brice has said he wants to target KOM next year (one thing the French would love almost as much a French Tour victory is a French KOM!) and they are a deserving case.

Also given that they won the Team Classification in Spain and had at least one man in almost every breakaway, plus Mosquera on the squad, I would like to think that Xacobeo Galicia would be in contention. Although from what I read on CN a few weeks ago they seem to be scaling back a little for next season and mostly focusing on Spanish races and so may not be all that interested in a wildcard for the Tour.

There is also Saur-Sojasun to consider; newly promoted to Pro Continental but ASO does love French teams to be present so maybe?

Back to my original contention: I suspect there will be 22 teams and it will come down two out of three between BMC, Sky and Vac. I think BMC and Sky will get the nod although, despite my national bias, on a sporting basis alone Sky is the one (who for 2010 at least) should lose out.

Some great analysis, totally agree.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
No sprinter??? Hendy's not there just to carry water bottles.

Henderson is not good enough to pull an invitation in on his sprinting skills.
I think Vacansoleil did it the right way. Always attack where you ride, show a good attitude, slime with the ASO and bring in some French dudes (worked for Skil). And let organizers know you're willing to pay an entry free for the bigger races in the form of sponsorships.

But you never know with the ASO.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
the ASO need to find a way to un invite fuji-servetto, or what ever theyre name is now, they're pointless and offer nothing to the race.
I think team sky would be great to have at the france. even though they dont have any "stars" that we expect to do well in GC or a top sprinter, take a look at the riders they have on the roster.
A tour team with, lokvist, froome, augstyn, bossan hagen, henderson
they're gunna help make the race interesting for sure. I would much rather see them invited than bmc, who will race soley to support a rider who will be doing well to make the top 10.
Id love to see vasconelli race also

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
team sky must be invited, even if they dont have a star rider for gc or sprints.
look at the team they would take
john lee augustyn
edvald boasson hagen
sylvain calzati
juan antonio flecha
chris froome
simon gerrans
greg hendeson
serge pauwels
thomas lovkvist
got to be one of the strongest teams on paper, much rather see them go than a team that will ride solely to support a rider who will be doing well to make the top 10 (bmc)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Henderson is not good enough to pull an invitation in on his sprinting skills.
I think Vacansoleil did it the right way. Always attack where you ride, show a good attitude, slime with the ASO and bring in some French dudes (worked for Skil). And let organizers know you're willing to pay an entry free for the bigger races in the form of sponsorships.

But you never know with the ASO.

This. ASO needs to be drug tested. They're sure smokin' something.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
phillop said:
team sky must be invited, even if they dont have a star rider for gc or sprints.
look at the team they would take
john lee augustyn
edvald boasson hagen
sylvain calzati
juan antonio flecha
chris froome
simon gerrans
greg hendeson
serge pauwels
thomas lovkvist
got to be one of the strongest teams on paper, much rather see them go than a team that will ride solely to support a rider who will be doing well to make the top 10 (bmc)

none of those guys will top 20 in gc. they might win 1 stage and that's it. bmc with evans will contending for the podium in paris.

auscyclefan94 said:
none of those guys will top 20 in gc. they might win 1 stage and that's it. bmc with evans will contending for the podium in paris.

I think Lövkvist should be top 15 or better, if he races conservatively, and doesn't wear himself out to soon. The rest of the team could win no stages, or they could win a lot. If I were the ds of sky, i would bring nine stagehunters, and tell them just to be in every breakaway and attack at every opportunity. Flecha, boasson, gerrans, arvesen, etc. GC, that's for the year after.

TRENDING THREADS