• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders who want the truth

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
So far we've seen a lot of riders either express disdain for Landis or mutter something about how everyone should look forward, and not to the past. I found this statement from Ben Jacques-Maynes (Team Bissel) today (via twitter):

"Do you want to cheer for false heros? Landis has just done us a HUGE favor."

So what other riders are out there saying something other than the company line?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Of course, who wants to cheer false heroes. But who can now believe a fallen "hero" like Landis who lied for years, including in court, and wrote a fraudulent book?
I sympathize with Ben Jacques-Maynes and others like Chris Horner who ride themselves into the ground against cheaters. But Landis would have done himself and the sport a favor had he come clean after getting caught in 2006.
Now, he just bitter and vengeful.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
erkcyclisme said:
Of course, who wants to cheer false heroes. But who can now believe a fallen "hero" like Landis who lied for years, including in court, and wrote a fraudulent book?
I sympathize with Ben Jacques-Maynes and others like Chris Horner who ride themselves into the ground against cheaters. But Landis would have done himself and the sport a favor had he come clean after getting caught in 2006.

Yes, I agree it would have been "better" but this is now the reality. And sport, in general, will be "better" for it.

I think you should read his latest interview on ESPN.com. I found new respect for him, and because his message lacks the motivations you are claiming.

I'd also re-think your view on Mr. Horner.

erkcyclisme said:

Thanks, jerkcyclisme. Tool. Amazing how you worthless muppets just spring up out of nowhere to bash Landis. Same argument over and over. Attack the messenger.

erkcyclisme said:

Yes, how can we believe a person who would lie in a arbitration (SCA case) and write fraudulent books (It's Not About the Bike)? How indeed?

Kennf1 said:
So far we've seen a lot of riders either express disdain for Landis or mutter something about how everyone should look forward, and not to the past. I found this statement from Ben Jacques-Maynes (Team Bissel) today (via twitter):

"Do you want to cheer for false heros? Landis has just done us a HUGE favor."

So what other riders are out there saying something other than the company line?

I know a group of pros who are probably happier now based on Landis' statements.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I sympathize with Ben Jacques-Maynes and others like Chris Horner who ride themselves into the ground against cheaters.

lol you think Horner is clean?? Ben JM should have been near the top of the sport, if everybody wasn't smoking so much cycling crack. bah.. another casualty.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
I'm waiting for Cav to punch Hincapie. Look, he's ready to pounce:

Ermm... I was looking for a photo of them all together recently posted on Hincapie's twitter, but I'm getting "account suspended". Strange. :confused:

Cadel is a more likely candidate, he has been practising in the giro. He may need to bring a couple of mates to back him up though

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Cadel is a more likely candidate, he has been practising in the giro. He may need to bring a couple of mates to back him up though
forgotten who the italian dude was he was 'punching' (more like handbags at 20 es stuff to me :p) maybe had a deal......let me practice in Giro to pass the time and I will give it to George and co next OK? :p

A

Anonymous

Good to see that some riders see this for what it is, a chance to make cycling better.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Was that why he was headbutting Gesink in the Vuelta too? "Take this and pass it on to Valverde - you can hit harder than me"

To be fair, Gesink may have stepped on his dog.

The Italian guy was Righi.

Righi deserved a good belting. A pity Cadel didn't deliver it. Purposely swerving in front of Cadel to slow him down. Does he have no respect for the World Champion?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm agreeing with BJM. Cycling has been in desperate need of someone, anyone, to blow the lid off the sport's dirty secrets. Floyd is self-admittedly no saint.

But what makes anyone else so sure that Armstrong, the other named cycling figures and "witnesses", and those who will undoubtedly be named in the future are all innocents?

GO FLOYD!!!! Good lord, the last time I shouted 'Go Floyd' was in July 2006.

tifosa said:
GO FLOYD!!!! Good lord, the last time I shouted 'Go Floyd' was in July 2006.

Funny... Up until last week I have not thought of Floyd as a Tour Winner, but merely as a simple cheat that got busted. He was caught at the time and it was taken away from him, end of story.

But with this whole bean-spilling confession from him, he's my winner for 06. Just like Riis is my winner for 96. I can also accept Ulle (he's not rally denying anything anymore) and Pantani (he's more a victim than cheater)... I think that's only fair.

If those guys are in my record book, I think Floyd deserves a place there as well...

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yah I'd much rather have a dirty guy like Floyd to bust all these bad guys.. people are attacking Floyd's character, but it gets us nowhere when a saint attacks the dopers. It takes a dirtball to catch the dirtballs, yarr!! GO FLOYD!! :D

TRENDING THREADS