• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with contracts because of a friend?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
It also seems fairly clear that Rigoberto Uran also got to bring one of his old team mates Xabier Zandio along in the deal.

I think Zandio was first. I think its fairly common certainly when bringing a rider into the team whos first language isnt the team language and there are no other teammates of his nationality already on the team. Helps them settle in and have someone they are able to room with etc. Happens a lot with football, how many times do we see a "top" player sign, along with a complete nobody who sits on the bench for a year before being released. (not saying zandio is a nobody, but just making a comparison).

Wonder if radioshack wanted hunter, or if Robbie McEwan persueded them?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I think Zandio was first. I think its fairly common certainly when bringing a rider into the team whos first language isnt the team language and there are no other teammates of his nationality already on the team. Helps them settle in and have someone they are able to room with etc. Happens a lot with football, how many times do we see a "top" player sign, along with a complete nobody who sits on the bench for a year before being released. (not saying zandio is a nobody, but just making a comparison).

But they already had JA Flecha who speaks Spanish if the main reason is the language.
I hope that this transfer will help Zandio regain his form of few years ago.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

no they wanted uran and uran wanted a guy with him and sky agreed, that guy was zandio.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Juraj Sagan is the current one but to be honest most domestiques are examples as other people mention,
Contador will always have Jesus Hernandez Noval and Navarro
Lance always has Chechu Rubiera Popovych and countless others
Petachi drags Hondo with him

Domestique A is the riders buddy B is from a different country but better
A makes leader feel better and motivates him so makes the leader himself better and so for that rider is the superior team mate

and then there Scott Davis.....oh dear god

ttrider said:
Petachi drags Hondo with him

Petacchi:
'98 Scrigno-Gaerne
'99 Navigare-Gaerne
'00-'05 Fassa Bortolo
'06-'08 Team Milram (to ban)
'08-'09 LPR Brakes-Farnese Vini (from ban)
'10-'11 Lampre-Farnese Vini

Hondo:
'98 Agro Adler Brandenburg
'99-'03 Deutsche Telekom
'04-'05 Gerolsteiner (to ban)
'06 Team Limonta (from ban)
'07 Tinkoff Credit Systems
'08 Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli
'09 PSK Whirlpool-Author

This year has actually been the first time they've raced together. Alberto Ongarato, on the other hand, spent six years following Petacchi around from Fassa to Milram to LPR.

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
can remember Stephen Roche's brother Laurence getting a ride in the Tour & there were some seriously ****ed off Belgians reckoning they deserved a ride over Laurence & in hindsight probably over Stephen for that matter , because alot of weird **** went on that year.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Libertine Seguros said:
Petacchi:
'98 Scrigno-Gaerne
'99 Navigare-Gaerne
'00-'05 Fassa Bortolo
'06-'08 Team Milram (to ban)
'08-'09 LPR Brakes-Farnese Vini (from ban)

Hondo:
'98 Agro Adler Brandenburg
'99-'03 Deutsche Telekom
'04-'05 Gerolsteiner (to ban)
'06 Team Limonta (from ban)
'07 Tinkoff Credit Systems
'08 Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli
'09 PSK Whirlpool-Author

This year has actually been the first time they've raced together. Alberto Ongarato, on the other hand, spent six years following Petacchi around from Fassa to Milram to LPR.

If I remember correctly he wanted to bring some guys from LPR to Lampre but was only able to bring Bernucci and not Ongarato.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It could well be the same reason Brammeier's ended up at HTC.

You might having something there. A British Journeyman, Irish champ, and in a breakaway at the Worlds is all I know about him but clearly he knows riders at HTC.

I was stunned when he joined them as much as when Dan Lloyd joined Garmin-Cervelo, must of been mates with Hushovd and Hammond.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
You might having something there. A British Journeyman, Irish champ, and in a breakaway at the Worlds is all I know about him but clearly he knows riders at HTC.

I was stunned when he joined them as much as when Dan Lloyd joined Garmin-Cervelo, must of been mates with Hushovd and Hammond.

Thats harsh on Dan Lloyd. He deserved his chance, and has since proven that.

Gabriel Rasch is clearly Hushovds *****, turned pro very late making it onto a ProTour team Credit Agricole and then going to Cervelo and now Garmin, sorry but the guy is not a ProTour rider but owes his place solely to Hushvod.

I think its very common for top riders to take loyal riders with them, Sean Kelly had countryman Martin Earley with him at KAS, PDM, Festina but Earley was worthy of his pro place.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I think that is a bit harsh. Rasch got a contract because Hushovd, yes, but he is also a very good classics rider. Eg: In Paris Roubaix 2009 there was 16-17 guys in the first group through the Arenberg, and Rasch was one of 5 or 6 Cervelo riders in that bunch. In two GTs he has ridden (Vuelta 2008 and Giro 2010, I think) Hushovd was not on the team, so he wasn't there to be Husovd's roommate. Definitely Pro Tour level

Sum_of_Marc said:
Thats harsh on Dan Lloyd. He deserved his chance, and has since proven that.

Cervelo took on 3 brits, Hammond, Lloyd and Fleeman, all offered 2 year contracts, Fleeman turned it down and took a 1 year thinking he'd be worth more but couldn't survive. Lloyd rose to the occasion and is now considered a reliable team mate. I think cervelo took the brits as they wanted riders from their largest markets.