• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with style, class, souplesse

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't particularly like the personality of these two cyclists, but I don't think you can deny that they are among the most stylish on a bike in the past 30 years.

Fabian Cancellara

0142506450085.jpg

Check this video out -----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA03vSHPBJo
The way he takes the corners is breathtaking.
And for panache, check out this sprint ------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNLMYpr2TM

And Stephen Roche

This guy was one of the most effortless cyclists in the 80s. But he could also absolutely bury himself if there was a prize on the line.
roche1.jpg

MBotero said:

<3

I have no use for words like panache and souplesse, but if we're talking style, I find these two the most inspiring.

I only started consciously watching in 1997, if I had been born a little bit earlier I would have definitely been a fanboy of this one here

282ngx4.jpg

Of those I have seen IRL, this one here ofc:

2i1ldh2.jpg

Not to be romantic in any way, but to me ALL the riders from the 80's & early 90's knew how to properly ride a bicycle, as far as style, positioning on it & most of all- pedaling- which is what makes a rider look good.

but looking at current times, I hardly find someone that appeals to me entirely style wise, because of so many flaws with the new trend of "compressing the rider" into the smallest frame possible.......

anyways. This guy was a handful of what I could rescue from this generation as a very stylish ride:
bettiniphoto_0041314_1_full_600.jpg

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Ah, the Tashkent terror. What a fine sprinter that was. :)

I have a video of him somewhere where he literally veers from one side of the road right over to the other in the course of his sprint. I have no idea how he stayed upright and didn't take out any other rider. He wouldn't get away with it now!!

Vino attacks everyone said:
Vino

Not particulalry stylish, classy as ****, brute force, more panache in his little finger than the whole pro peloton of today combined, the killer instinct of a combination of a tiger, a lion and a cobra combined into a deadly super animal that was created by a doctor with the genious of Einstein and dreadfulness of Mengele. Had the perfect combination of sadism and masochism that made him love to inflict pain on his adversaries and himself for hour upon hour until everyone but him cracked.

Topic went down the drain in second post.
vAz9rDj.gif

LittleJo said:
I have a video of him somewhere where he literally veers from one side of the road right over to the other in the course of his sprint. I have no idea how he stayed upright and didn't take out any other rider. He wouldn't get away with it now!!

Lol. Only one video? :p He wasnt called Terror without reason.

Was an absolute brute in sprints. Elbows out, neck waving from side to side, cycle all over the place. Small wonder he was both hated and feared in the peloton at the time and rules changed only due to this kind of approach - probably for the best.

Still misses these days. It felt as it was a bigger diversity of riders and personalities in the peloton back then. And man, what a character Djamolidine was.

TRENDING THREADS