• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with style, class, souplesse

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently I get something entirely different from the OP than some of y'all ... "souplesse" is mentioned and somebody posts Froome? Virenque? Oy vey.

Now I can groove with VdB, Moncoutie, Scheleck, Millar ... Froome not so much. One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong.

I suggest Hampsten receive consideration. Whether working for LeMond en route a TdF white jersey
086c_HampstenPuyDome%40PhSport.jpg

Rolling at the TdS
hampsten_tour_de_suisse-620x478.png

Or winning his Giro
images

The guy always looked smooth, effortless and in control on the bike. Was a class dude off the bike, to boot.

And for those who want to turn this into a "panache" thread, Andy could open up a big can of that when he wanted:
pic80319495_600.jpg

Reactions: perico
I don't know if this really fits, but it's one of my favorite images of all time. From James Starrt's Tour de France/Tour de Force book. Couldn't find it anywhere online so this is taken from the book from my phone:

oSeUwn3.jpg

Love everything, from the facial expressions of the guys on the moto (and the hand out), the woman, the great old train gate, the style with which the rider ducks...just a great moment in time captured.

Anyone know who the rider is? Coppi?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I don't know if this really fits, but it's one of my favorite images of all time. From James Starrt's Tour de France/Tour de Force book. Couldn't find it anywhere online so this is taken from the book from my phone:

oSeUwn3.jpg

Love everything, from the facial expressions of the guys on the moto (and the hand out), the woman, the great old train gate, the style with which the rider ducks...just a great moment in time captured.

Looks like Ferdi Kubler

Reactions: red_flanders

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
red_flanders said:

oSeUwn3.jpg

It is Fausto Coppi riding the Giro do Lombardi, 1950, I think. He came third to Renzo Soldani, who he would have been leading at this point.

Reactions: red_flanders
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Let's see some photos and videos of rider who rode with beauty, class, panache, souplesse or whatever you want to call it.

red_flanders said:

Super Mario was who I thought of first.
Beauty: I think he was a favorite amongst female fans. As far as pedaling mechanics/style go, I think almost any pro is smooth and powerful.
Class: Very few people will ever win as many races as Super Mario.
Panache: Lots. Not many people can rock a skinsuit or throw a bidon like him.
Souplesse: Quoi? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Alessandro Ballan? Really?

It's quite hard to post suggestions of anyone still in the pro peloton, and most certainly since the advent of "compact" geometry. It's quite clear that there are people here that are quite ignorant of the plethora of riders available to choose from.

Roger de Vlaeminck:
file.php

Jan Janssen (from whom Marcel Kittel stole his style):
4987391019_2f41d03ba4_o.jpg

Chris Boardman (he was born ready to time trial):
chris%20boardman.jpg

Charly Mottet:
Charly-Mottet%5B1%5D.jpg

There are... of course... more.

For The World said:
Alessandro Ballan? Really?

It's quite hard to post suggestions of anyone still in the pro peloton, and most certainly since the advent of "compact" geometry. It's quite clear that there are people here that are quite ignorant of the plethora of riders available to choose from.

Roger de Vlaeminck:
file.php

There are... of course... more.

Great call on de Vlaeminck. Let's see more!

Cool necro-thread. Kuss gets a lot of flak here but honestly have you ever seen a more composed climber?

IMO MvdP is the style-maestro of the peloton. Conversely you've got Mauri. I'm sure he's got a great engine but it cannot be efficient to be bobbing and weaving like a welterweight boxer.
Maybe Mauri has the core engine to keep going 2 days straight but simply lacks the watts to follow the others. Hence by rocking his entire body and using all muscle groups, he is able to put more power onto his pedals, while he won't get tired. I kid. He is the lovechild that came of Pierre Latour, Mollema and Schachmann's illegal love triangle.

I think Van Aert is a very stylish rider. I also like Evenepoel when he is in "on-a-mission" mode.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS