• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with Style & Panache

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Who's your top 5?

Mine, for the record

Laurent Fignon & Angel Arroyo
Top.jpg

Beppe Saronni
saronni2.jpg

Bernard Hinault
RdV_Hinault_1981.jpg

Marco Pantani

15.jpg

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
How could you go past Jacques Anquetil? It was almost as if he never had a hair out of place.

faaex3.jpg

The others in my list...

Maurizio Fondriest

33jjspd.jpg

Mario Cippolini

2qsasf6.jpg

Pantani and Fignon have already been mentioned however.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
VDB. Few riders have ever looked so natural and effortless on a bike. Shame he couldn't hold things together. :(

Agreed. In good form (or in good supply of meds) he looked like he wasnt even trying to pedal. Beautiful to watch.I especially like this documentary of Liege '99 where you can see what a nice character he had underneath all that style : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_oZgHOHX8&feature=related

Also Bartoli for dressing fashionably.

Franck_VANDENBROUCKE.jpg

bartoli.jpg

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
Also Bartoli for dressing fashionably.
Ah, Bartoli! Bear in mind that in that pic he's on a conventional level top-tube frame with a massive drop to the bars. Saw him win Lombardia in 2001 in Bergamo. He's about 5'11" yet rode a smaller frame, 53 or so IIRC.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Ah, Bartoli! Bear in mind that in that pic he's on a conventional level top-tube frame with a massive drop to the bars. Saw him win Lombardia in 2001 in Bergamo. He's about 5'11" yet rode a smaller frame, 53 or so IIRC.
He is? I always thought he was quite short. Mind you I used to ride a 53 too and im about 5' 11. I think what we're seeing in this thread is that to be considered Classy you have to ride a COLNAGO. Still the best.

Edit [or was it a "56 I used to ride? It's been so long:eek:]